Fall 2021 Statistics/Biostatistics Applicant Thread

15 hours ago, BL4CKxP3NGU1N said:

Thanks for the input. I'm definitely considering the offer, although I will wait to see what other offers come in within the next month or so before making any decisions. I'm assuming other decisions should be coming within the next two weeks or so, so I'm not too concerned yet at this point.

Congratulation on your success in admission! The committee must have been extremely impressed by your application given their surprisingly early decision! I also applied to CSU and wish I can hear from them too.

Does anyone know what the typical decision timeline is for Stats departments in the UC's (California)?  

I know it probably depends on the department but wanted see if anyone had any insight. 

Edited by bob loblaw

On 1/15/2021 at 3:15 PM, bob loblaw said:

Does anyone know what the typical decision timeline is for Stats departments in the UC's (California)?  

I know it probably depends on the department but wanted see if anyone had any insight. 

I would suggest looking over the results section and searching for the specific program of interest. That's how I am getting a sense of the timelines of the programs I applied to. 

21 minutes ago, confusedbear said:

I saw some admit/reject to NC State. Do they usually do in waves? I didn't hear back :(

It looks like in recent years there were at least a few acceptances spread out over different days.

I also haven't heard, and I was feeling (cautiously) optimistic about my chances there, so I'm also stressed now haha.

Just now, physics2stats said:

It looks like in recent years there were at least a few acceptances spread out over different days.

I also haven't heard, and I was feeling (cautiously) optimistic about my chances there, so I'm also stressed now haha.

"Cautiously optimistic" and now extremely stressed is exactly how I feel too!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

In any case, congrats on anyone who was just admitted :)

26 minutes ago, confusedbear said:

"Cautiously optimistic" and now extremely stressed is exactly how I feel too!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

In any case, congrats on anyone who was just admitted :)

I'm also low-key stressed lol, anyone know when the next wave might be? Next week or next month??

On 1/8/2021 at 12:42 PM, llk said:

I got an email from UMich asking for my fall grades and spring courses. Is this a good or bad sign? Or does it mean that I am on the boarder line? 

Have you or anyone heard anything from michigan since they sent this out to people?

On 1/27/2021 at 12:40 PM, bob loblaw said:

Sup y'all. I got my first acceptance today into UC Santa Barbara's Stats program! According to the survey page, some others did too.  Wooooooooooooooooooo ?

I also applied to UCSB's Stats program and have not heard from them :( Did they send you an email?

Edited by shyburrito

I got an acceptance from Baylor this morning! Deadline is February 26th since first year students start in July, so I'm hoping to hear back from other schools before then. Funding is $20,700/9 months, and they also offered an additional $7k fellowship for the first year for having a "strong application".

Is it possible to get accepted to Berkeley or Harvard without an interview (for stats phd)? There are a few interview invites on grad cafe, but seems like quite a small amount if they intend to interview everyone they are considering for admission, and seems to be coming from POIs rather than adcom (so maybe certain POIs like to interview and others don't?)

7 hours ago, stat-dude-37 said:

Has anybody heard anything from Duke Stats Phd? They have consistently sent out acceptances Jan 28-31 in the last four years. Curious if anyone has had any communication/interview/inside knowledge about when results may show up? 

I had an interview with a faculty in mid-January and also joined their virtual visit day. Grad coordinator said that they had two more adcom meetings to come and the final offers would be available no later than the first week of February(if I remember correctly).