Silberman Fall 2021 MSW

vincentmsw

Hi everyone, long time lurker first time posting. I completed my group interview this morning. I submitted my application in January and it was completed on the first week of March. I switched to "pending interview" before the interview email situation happened. I was invited for my interview last night over the phone. It took about an hour, it was mostly scenario questions, as you might expect from sw job interviews. Overall not intimidating! Not sure how I feel about the writing sample.  

10 minutes ago, notforyou2know said:

Hi everyone, long time lurker first time posting. I completed my group interview this morning. I submitted my application in January and it was completed on the first week of March. I switched to "pending interview" before the interview email situation happened. I was invited for my interview last night over the phone. It took about an hour, it was mostly scenario questions, as you might expect from sw job interviews. Overall not intimidating! Not sure how I feel about the writing sample.  

Thanks so much for sharing, and I'm sure you did well! Keep us posted. 

Hi everyone! 

I've been checking this forum for the past 2 months but never posted. I submitted my application on 1/27 and it was completed on 2/1. I reached out on 2/24 for application timeline because I have offers from UAlbany, Syracuse University and Fordham University. They never responded. On 3/12, my application status turned from submitted to pending interview. I received an email on 3/16 to schedule a group interview, but all slots were sold out or didn't work for my academic schedule. I emailed them on 3/16 but did not receive a response. I emailed the general grad admission email who gave me an email of a direct person on 3/23. I received a phone call immediately after emailing said person and was offered an interview slot this morning (3/25). The interview was a facilitator, a professor, and a total of 5 applicants. We were asked to introduce ourselves and what work we're doing in the social welfare field, followed by 3 scenario questions, and the interview ended asking us what difficulty we see in the transition to pursuing a MSW and how we plan on mitigating it. The interview lasted about 50 minutes. There was a writing sample that is due tonight by 11:59 minutes and there is 90 minutes to complete it. I finished it with about 30 minutes left. Not too confident about my interview or writing sample.

I hope they let me know soon as I have been accepted to Boston University as well and need to put in my deposit by April 2nd. I'm also having second thoughts on Hunter being my first choice in comparison to Boston University and Fordham University.

19 minutes ago, kimmsw said:

I hope they let me know soon as I have been accepted to Boston University as well and need to put in my deposit by April 2nd. I'm also having second thoughts on Hunter being my first choice in comparison to Boston University and Fordham University.

From everything I've learned, Hunter is an extremely well-respected school for social work, and is primarily known for being one of the most progressive programs in the country when it comes to their actual emphasis on diversity, intersectionality, etc. 

It's also, y'know, a fraction of the price of other programs. 

But that also comes with the realities that it being a public school, and chronically underfunded compared to private programs (which I understand, because I've worked in administration at a public university before). So there is potentially less wiggle room to self-advocate for placements that best align with your career goals, less financial aid, etc. I know of some people who did NYU's program for less than Hunter's, for instance.

I have heard good things about BU in general, but nothing specific. I can't say I looked into it much, though, because I'm really geographically bound to NYC. 

Fordham seems to be very respected in the online space, specifically. I'm personally hoping we'll be able to resume in-person classes this year, since I want to be a clinician, and I know I personally rely on body language a LOT in communicating with people. So Hunter is my personal first choice. 

1 hour ago, nyc_brooklyn_ said:

My application status changed to Pending Interview last Friday 3/19 and haven't received any email about scheduling interview yet (other than the erroneous email sent to everyone).

I will probably email them if I don't hear back by next week.

Personally, I think you should email them now. It's been almost a week, seems more than reasonable and someone else here was given a test date once they emailed them. Just my two cents! 

18 minutes ago, MSWNYC said:

Personally, I think you should email them now. It's been almost a week, seems more than reasonable and someone else here was given a test date once they emailed them. Just my two cents! 

Agreed! No harm in reaching out. 

Anyone else STILL in the cycle of "submitted," as I am? No changes, no interview, app in on 2/2 and completed 4/10. Chats say they will try to expedite, since I have Fordham and another school wanting an answer soon. I thought by today, but... nope. Fingers crossed for next week! 

1 hour ago, MSWNYC said:

Anyone else STILL in the cycle of "submitted," as I am? No changes, no interview, app in on 2/2 and completed 4/10. Chats say they will try to expedite, since I have Fordham and another school wanting an answer soon. I thought by today, but... nope. Fingers crossed for next week! 

so I'll say, I've fully had my interview and I'm still in "submitted". My status never changed to "interview pending" or anything like that, so I'm not sure that I'd necessarily be depending on the status to change in order to elucidate anything. Have you chatted them today yet?

Also... I guess the thing is, since all/most of the interviews are in a group format, they still have to be prepared to interview multiple people in order to expedite your process. ?  So who knows how fast they can actually move.

Edited by britonline

3 hours ago, Lulu Saif said:

Same here. I had my interview on 3/16 and they told me it would take 1-3 weeks to hear anything. No status has changed for me. I tried to let them know that I am also waiting on other schools, but to no avail. Hopefully, we all hear something next week.

I heard back in 4 1/2 weeks I think the program and stuff matter. Some two year program ppl found out quick, some advance standing and oyr ppl it took a lil longer maybe they are verifying certain things idk ?‍♂️ 

7 hours ago, MSWNYC said:

Me! Still at submitted with no changes since application completion. I actually reached out on Monday via the instant/live chat on the website to follow up from the erroneously email situation on the 16th and to find out when I should expect a decision. The person told me that I would get an invite to interview this week, but so far nothing. How late is too late on a Friday night?! ?

7 hours ago, britonline said:

so I'll say, I've fully had my interview and I'm still in "submitted". My status never changed to "interview pending" or anything like that, so I'm not sure that I'd necessarily be depending on the status to change in order to elucidate anything. Have you chatted them today yet?

Not today, since I'd already been in touch two days ago... I don't want "pest" going into my application file, Lol

2 hours ago, trahenagem said:

Me! Still at submitted with no changes since application completion. I actually reached out on Monday via the instant/live chat on the website to follow up from the erroneously email situation on the 16th and to find out when I should expect a decision. The person told me that I would get an invite to interview this week, but so far nothing. How late is too late on a Friday night?! ?

Thanks for the responses! Misery loves company ;) ... Looks like next week. I hope! 

Anyone here applied to both Hunter and NYU? I'm trying to decide between these two programs am really torn. Which one would you say is more psychodynamic and more clinically focused? NYU offered me a scholarship and I'll be paying out of state if I choose Hunter so there's not much of a difference in terms of tuition. I'd appreciate any input!      

On 3/25/2021 at 1:52 PM, AstoriaMSW said:

From everything I've learned, Hunter is an extremely well-respected school for social work, and is primarily known for being one of the most progressive programs in the country when it comes to their actual emphasis on diversity, intersectionality, etc. 

It's also, y'know, a fraction of the price of other programs. 

But that also comes with the realities that it being a public school, and chronically underfunded compared to private programs (which I understand, because I've worked in administration at a public university before). So there is potentially less wiggle room to self-advocate for placements that best align with your career goals, less financial aid, etc. I know of some people who did NYU's program for less than Hunter's, for instance.

I have heard good things about BU in general, but nothing specific. I can't say I looked into it much, though, because I'm really geographically bound to NYC. 

Fordham seems to be very respected in the online space, specifically. I'm personally hoping we'll be able to resume in-person classes this year, since I want to be a clinician, and I know I personally rely on body language a LOT in communicating with people. So Hunter is my personal first choice. 

I was really committed to Hunter being my first choice because I'm from NYC and because of its cost and program. I did hear that Hunter is only respected within NY so I'm not really sure how true that is. My parents advocate for private programs because of funding issues with public schools which is also a concern of mine seeing how Hunter has a lot of issues with that. What I love about BU is that they have a trauma and violence specialization and a lot of faculty that are involved with SRV work which Hunter doesn't have. There's also more wiggle room in the courses you take. I am worried because BU is so expensive.

Thank you for your input!

20 hours ago, Korovyev said:

Anyone here applied to both Hunter and NYU? I'm trying to decide between these two programs am really torn. Which one would you say is more psychodynamic and more clinically focused? NYU offered me a scholarship and I'll be paying out of state if I choose Hunter so there's not much of a difference in terms of tuition. I'd appreciate any input!      

I applied and got into both, and while Hunter is a no brainer as far as cost goes (at least for us in-staters!), I ultimately decided to go with NYU. I don't have any profound reasons for this decision. I don't know for a fact that it has a better clinical program, but I just have a gut feeling it's a better fit for me and for my goals.