2022 Creative Writing MFA Applicants Forum

CanadianKate

28 minutes ago, panglosian said:

Cross posted to Draft but I JUST GOT INTO GEORGE MASON???? FOR POETRY???? WHAT THE ACTUAL HELL???

I'M SO HAPPY I just checked the portal and the decision was there I haven't heard about notifs or anything!!!

Omg! I am super happy for you!!

Oh holy crap. I decided to check my portals following @panglosian's lead and an acceptance from American University for fiction was there waiting for me! I was literally shaking as I clicked "download" on the decision letter, but I kind of knew what was coming because there was a button that said "accept/decline" next to it : P 

1 hour ago, MDP said:

I'm sure I'll be in this boat soon enough...none of my schools have notified yet, so I'm just sitting in the waiting period purgatory. Not sure if I'll feel better or worse once my rejections come in. At least then I'll know!

I actually wrote a first draft of a poem about this agonizing purgatory. What form of torture is worse: waiting for MFA decisions, or being taken as a political prisoner in a cell with bright lights and heavy metal blaring for days on end? 

1 hour ago, panglosian said:

Cross posted to Draft but I JUST GOT INTO GEORGE MASON???? FOR POETRY???? WHAT THE ACTUAL HELL???

I'M SO HAPPY I just checked the portal and the decision was there I haven't heard about notifs or anything!!!

Thank you for sharing this news, hell yeah IN ALL CAPS!!!! I’m am through the roof for you!

55 minutes ago, Rm714 said:

Oh holy crap. I decided to check my portals following @panglosian's lead and an acceptance from American University for fiction was there waiting for me! I was literally shaking as I clicked "download" on the decision letter, but I kind of knew what was coming because there was a button that said "accept/decline" next to it : P 

We’ll look at that!! Congrats! What a great day! So much hope today! And it’s such a clear sunny sky where I’m at. Let’s all check into our portals and see how many more acceptances come of it. : )

Also, I can vouch that @MDP is a great workshop partner, gave some fabulous critique on one of my pieces.

I also want to say, setting the goal of writing and polishing a piece to submit for publication has been really good. It's made me feel a lot better as a writer, and it worked better than me just aimlessly sitting down to write to try and make myself feel better.

I'd highly recommend setting some sort of writing goal like that, even if it's just that you'll write a piece and share it with a friend. Giving an "I'm going to show this to other people" I think really helps make the goal feel more concrete and less like this annoying "I'm just here to make myself feel better."

Eek, I hadn't posted here in a while, but I managed to get into University of Nevada, Reno and Oklahoma State :) I'm so, so excited. This is far beyond what I'd expected haha. I guess these two were just the places where I felt like my writing would fit. I still am waiting to hear from other programs. But so happy to have gotten this far. I'd lost hope after last year.

10 minutes ago, sassydragon said:

Eek, I hadn't posted here in a while, but I managed to get into University of Nevada, Reno and Oklahoma State :) I'm so, so excited. This is far beyond what I'd expected haha. I guess these two were just the places where I felt like my writing would fit. I still am waiting to hear from other programs. But so happy to have gotten this far. I'd lost hope after last year.

Congrats!!! So much great news today!!! Is it just me or does it seem like more of us on this thread are hearing about acceptances than years past? 

5 hours ago, MDP said:

So I am having a reeeeally slow day at work...DM me your email on here if you want any pieces workshopped :) 

This would be a workshop offer for other fiction writers, or are you comfortable working on poetry as well?

20 hours ago, Rm714 said:

Oh my God how exciting!!! Congrats!! I’m so glad you decided to check, and that so many of us are getting good news in this thread ?

On 2/11/2022 at 9:57 PM, panglosian said:

Congratulations!! That's amazing ???

On 2/11/2022 at 10:34 PM, Rm714 said:

Congrats to you too!!!

21 hours ago, sassydragon said:

That's so cool! I hope you get to hear about some more acceptances soon

21 hours ago, MissMosquito said:

This would be a workshop offer for other fiction writers, or are you comfortable working on poetry as well?

I can help, if you would have me. I write fiction (& a tiny bit of poetry) but I read a LOT of poetry and my poet friends have repeatedly remarked that my poetry workshopping is great.