2022 Creative Writing MFA Applicants Forum

CanadianKate

Just now, CHRISTOPHER QUANG BUI said:

You’re still waiting on Hollins U., right?

Yep, no word...I have a professor who is friends with one of the English profs there, and I want so badly to ask her to find out where they're at in the notification process, ha. Though I guess I could just check in with the program director. I hate being a pest though.

11 minutes ago, MDP said:

Yep, no word...I have a professor who is friends with one of the English profs there, and I want so badly to ask her to find out where they're at in the notification process, ha. Though I guess I could just check in with the program director. I hate being a pest though.

yeah, it almost seems like as opposed to last year everywhere is a little behind.

But as always, here’s to hoping we hear something good. 

1 minute ago, CHRISTOPHER QUANG BUI said:

yeah, it almost seems like as opposed to last year everywhere is a little behind.

For sure. Bummed about this, as it seemed like a lot of schools were notifying early, so I naively thought they would all do that! Some of the schools I'm waiting on seem to be notifying a week or two later than usual. Sooo taxing. I just want to get this over with to be honest.

1 minute ago, MDP said:

For sure. Bummed about this, as it seemed like a lot of schools were notifying early, so I naively thought they would all do that! Some of the schools I'm waiting on seem to be notifying a week or two later than usual. Sooo taxing. I just want to get this over with to be honest.

I agree. It’s extremely hard to be productive with anything at all until the whole process is said and done. 

For those applying to PhD programs in Creative Writing, which programs are you applying? There are so few programs  in the US. Does anyone know of US students that completed a PhD in Creative Writing overseas such as the UK that was able to land a tenure track afterwards?

59 minutes ago, MDP said:

I emailed them about something else and they told me they were going to be notifying people on March 12. So far away but at least we now know eh?

2 minutes ago, Roalddahli said:

I emailed them about something else and they told me they were going to be notifying people on March 12. So far away but at least we now know eh?

BLESS you for this information. So they said ON March 12, not by? Will be nice if they notify on a Saturday.

Does anyone know whether UVA usually calls their accepted applicants vs. emails?

Edited by MDP
added question

Hey guys! Long time lurker of this forum, just recently decided to join. I'm new to the MFA application world, and I just have a quick question.

I received an acceptance letter last week from the program director and in that email she said that the official offer of admissions would be coming in "soon" from the College of Graduate Studies. I know they are busy people and are sending out hundreds of notifications, but generally speaking how long does it usually take to receive the official offer after receiving the acceptance letter? It's been a week since I received the acceptance letter, and everybody has a different definition for the word "soon."

I know for a fact that this is just me being super impatient, but I've been lowkey buzzing since I received the acceptance letter and I just want to slam that "accept" button and make it official already. 

15 hours ago, finch66 said:

Hey congrats! I was also recently accepted to an MA in English w/ CW concentration program and I discussed some differences with a prof of mine recently. One of the pros, IMO, is that you have an easier in to a PhD program. This is good for you if you are interested in sticking around academia for a while longer, and more schools seem to be looking for PhDs to hire profs if that's a job market you're looking to get into. Another pro is that you still get to do your creative thesis and come out with a publishable piece of work, and you still get a workshop environment, but you also get more work with applying theory to your writing because of the academic work you're doing. 

I'm keeping my MFA options open, but like you, I am also psyched about a possible MA path. 

Congratulations on your acceptance! And thanks for the info! 

I somehow managed to totally blank out applying to U of Southern Mississippi for MA Creative writing, until I saw your post and @beefboy's. I didn't realize it was an MFA till I emailed the department for some info on sending transcripts, and then they told me it was an MA not an MFA, but I didn't know there was a difference other than the name of the degree until I read your post. 

7 hours ago, saintnick9 said:

I received an acceptance letter last week from the program director and in that email she said that the official offer of admissions would be coming in "soon" from the College of Graduate Studies. 

Congrats on your acceptance!

Just a heads-up, and apologies for any redundancy, but UCSD sent out rejection emails around midnight PST, so if y'all haven't heard from them, it'll likely be the form rejection sent to the portals.  I got mine, that's why I'm letting everyone know in case they were waiting to hear from them.

Waiting on Fairbanks, New Orleans, Rutgers, Hollins, and McNeese now.  And truly, it's just waiting now...

Thank you, Beckett.

3 minutes ago, questioningquestions said:

Has University of Virginia notified at all?

Usually they make the accepted students wait about two weeks before posting anything about acceptances, which is when the rejections go out. UVA rejections usually show up in mid-March, so my guess is they've either already notified accepted students or will be doing so any day now.

I have a question!! I got a mail from a professor from New Mexico State saying that they want to have a conversation. Do they talk to people for waitlists too? Or can I hope that this will be an acceptance? Since our timezones are so wonky, he said that we could chat tomorrow. I'm so nervous!! Plus I have no idea what to say :o This was one of the programs I was targeting, but thought I wouldn't get into because of a small problem with my LORs