2022 Creative Writing MFA Applicants Forum

CanadianKate

53 minutes ago, mrshakeysingstheblues said:

I echo everyone else’s feelings here. This wait is glacier slow. I really don’t have anything to lose, but it doesn’t make it less irritating. I could at least stop refreshing my email and staring at my phone. 

Same. The first couple weeks of Feb I got a waitlist, an acceptance, and a rejection but since then it's been quiet on all fronts. Perhaps I was a bit spoiled by the avalanche of news, but it's excruciating to sit in this radio silence.   

Edited by adwalker4394

54 minutes ago, nicolette7766 said:

Does Syracuse notify everyone the same day or is it spread out a little bit? Really anxious right now, keep checking my phone at work haha

Wondering the same thing!!

I don't know if this means what I think it means, but...

At 6:05pm today, I received an email from Audrey Gibson, the Office Manager of Alaska Fairbanks, congratulating me on being recommended to admission for the MFA Creative Writing Program.  The College of Liberal Arts, the Graduate School, and the Office of Admissions will submit final review and approval shortly.

The document is titled "Accepted MFA Applicants w Waitlisted TAShip.docx" so I harbor some hope that this is a formality and that I have indeed been selected to join the program.  Hopefully I join the TAShips as well, since I'll need the money.  No word on funding or anything of the sort, but figured I'd share in case anyone has ever received an email like this and can illuminate.

I will contact the Director of Creative Writing shortly as well.

For what it's worth, this was the first of the schools I chose and applied to, and the one I held the most desire to join.  If I am selected, then I will have manifested my destiny in a way I haven't witnessed since my parents won the lottery to come to this country so I could have a better life.

Wish me just a tad more fortune, y'all!  And here's to an answer to all this uncertainty for all of us, no matter what!

Thank you for reading my TEDTalk!

3 minutes ago, oubukibun said:

At 6:05pm today, I received an email from Audrey Gibson, the Office Manager of Alaska Fairbanks, congratulating me on being recommended to admission for the MFA Creative Writing Program.  The College of Liberal Arts, the Graduate School, and the Office of Admissions will submit final review and approval shortly.

The document is titled "Accepted MFA Applicants w Waitlisted TAShip.docx" so I harbor some hope that this is a formality and that I have indeed been selected to join the program.  Hopefully I join the TAShips as well, since I'll need the money.  No word on funding or anything of the sort, but figured I'd share in case anyone has ever received an email like this and can illuminate.

For what it's worth, this was the first of the schools I chose and applied to, and the one I held the most desire to join.  If I am selected, then I will have manifested my destiny in a way I haven't witnessed since my parents won the lottery to come to this country so I could have a better life.

Wish me just a tad more fortune, y'all!  And here's to an answer to all this uncertainty for all of us, no matter what!

I'm almost certain that this means you've been accepted! Congratulations!

47 minutes ago, oubukibun said:

I got this too! It seemed kind of spammy, so I was worried about opening it initially, but we have definitely been admitted!! A little bummed about being waitlisted for funding because I'm intl and not going to be able to consider the program if I'm not offered funding, but crazy cool to have an acceptance from UAF. Perhaps we will be in the same cohort come September.

@Yellow62Someone on draft just posted about getting into a prestigious program that told them not to name the program on socials until all acceptances were out--UVA maybe notifying?

I wonder if it was Syracuse (Fiction). The following was posted on Draft ‘22 on Feb 7:

I'm in at Syracuse for poetry!! Christopher Kennedy called with the news on 1/29!

We were asked to delay posting on social media. Is this a common practice with acceptances? I wasn't sure & I've felt guilty withholding it from draft. But now that waitlist decisions have gone out I feel like it's safe to finally post! 

Edited by Pinckney
Update

4 minutes ago, Pinckney said:

@Yellow62Someone on draft just posted about getting into a prestigious program that told them not to name the program on socials until all acceptances were out--UVA maybe notifying?

I wonder if it was Syracuse (Fiction). Weeks ago someone posted in Draft that they had been admitted to Syracuse (poetry) (I think they said Jan 28 but not certain) and told not to post on social media. Sometime around Feb 4 when the poetry waitlist was out and others had posted the person posted.

The drafter is applying in CNF, and neither syracuse nor uva offer cnf! so curious to know also.

26 minutes ago, Ydrl said:

GUYS I GOT INTO IOWA OMFG

NO FREAKING WAY!!!!! Woooooooo!!!!!!!!!!!! Oh, I'm SO happy for you, love!!!!! I hope this is a new beginning for you. ❤️❤️❤️ 

2 hours ago, Rm714 said:

Just got an acceptance from Chapman for Fiction! 

Congratulations!!! That's amazing!!!

3 hours ago, poem for her said:

just got waitlisted at michener by email! apparently, 900 people applied this application cycle ? i'm feeling very excited/flattered!!!!!!

WOW! Go you!!!! Congrats, love!!

1 hour ago, finch66 said:

I got this too! It seemed kind of spammy, so I was worried about opening it initially, but we have definitely been admitted!! A little bummed about being waitlisted for funding because I'm intl and not going to be able to consider the program if I'm not offered funding, but crazy cool to have an acceptance from UAF. Perhaps we will be in the same cohort come September.

Woohoo!!!!! That's so exciting! I hope you get funding so you can come! ❤️

2 hours ago, oubukibun said:

Oh, I'm so happy for you, friend! I've seen your posts over the months, and I hope this is a boon to your confidence and encourages you to keep writing with all your heart. I'm so happy for you!! ❤️ Congrats!

@Ydrl , ask yourself some questions. Are you sure it was not a crank call/voicemail? When was the last time you took a drug that might alter your perceptions? Can you do me a favor and check whether you accidentally applied to Iowa State?

@eternalwhitenights, did you apply to Notre Dame this year? Have you been reading posts here this whole year? 

Edited by Zdrl

Well, I suppose this thread was overdue for some action and positivity, haha.

I emailed the UAF Director of Creative Writing and she essentially confirmed that the document is an acceptance; they just have to be tentative with the language until the official word comes from the uni itself.  I imagine this communication will be in my inbox sooner rather than later.  She did mention no one's ever disagreed with their decision (heh), so I'm feeling much more satisfied with the result.  Waitlisted for funding, yes, however, she reiterates that there's a lot of movement on it, especially during this time, so she recommends I sit tight.  I'll take her word for it and do so, but it is vastly relieving to have a tiny fingerhold while I wait for New Orleans, Rutgers, Hollins (assuming it's a no since it seems acceptances have started going out, no?), and McNeese.

What a day that March 2nd was.

It's such a monumental cliché to get out of one's bath, check one's email, and see an email one has been waiting for but that one never believed would actually get there, despite the numerous times one refreshed the window... as if by strange, strange magic, that would make it so.

Huzzah, huzzah, huzzah to all of those who received terrific news about their schools!  And thank you all for the kind words and encouragement.

As we all traverse the Birnam Wood on our own, isn't it so tremendous to have our voices echo through the trees and act as momentary beacons for our wayward hopes to find respite, even when seemingly lost?

Thankful for the echoes!

13 hours ago, oubukibun said:

Congratulations! I’m in a similar boat - my only acceptance so far is from CU Boulder, but no funding. Definitely can’t go without it. I wrote the director and he said something might come up if another student turns down their offer, but the waiting is awful! I write horror so I have a feeling this might be the only school interested in me this season, haha. 

17 hours ago, Sydup said:

So, does anyone have updates on The University of Arizona? I reached out to the program coordinator on Thursday and asked if I should expect a formal decision notification via email within the month or at all, and radio silence. I know their program was small this year, but I don't understand why they can't just send out the remaining decisions if the cohort is already accepted and those on the waitlist have been notified. 

Am I the only one with the crazy conspiracy theory that schools delay rejections in case an applicant they skimmed over blows up/becomes famous so that they can turn around and offer them a spot?