2022 Creative Writing MFA Applicants Forum

CanadianKate

7 hours ago, MDP said:

I'm feeling really neurotic about something in my personal life (unrelated to grad school) and I'm funneling the anxiety into this.

I definitely feel this. I think a lot of it comes down to self-image, and my self-image took a beating from other, non grad school related things, so getting all the rejections isn't great to pile on to that. 

As always, I recommend everyone try to be really nice to yourselves during this season. No need to beat yourself up when grad school rejections are already more than willing to do that for you.

And I'll do my best to practice what I preach, lol. 

10 hours ago, koechophe said:

I definitely feel this. I think a lot of it comes down to self-image, and my self-image took a beating from other, non grad school related things, so getting all the rejections isn't great to pile on to that. 

As always, I recommend everyone try to be really nice to yourselves during this season. No need to beat yourself up when grad school rejections are already more than willing to do that for you.

And I'll do my best to practice what I preach, lol. 

We're all rooting for you too, @koechophe! Keep going!

15 hours ago, lastnightagain said:

Does anyone know if the University of New Hampshire has notified? 

They've notified some funded offers in fiction and CNF. I think they respond in order of funding packages but not sure. Not sure about poetry.

Edited by Dog

Hi y'all . . . Does anyone have advice on how to handle waitlists? I know a few professors at the University of Mississippi (where I'm waitlisted for fiction), but absolutely do not want to come across as a nag. I do, however, want to make sure they know how interested I am in the program and that I'd likely accept immediately if offered a spot. (Montana, where I'm currently accepted, is not fully funded, but Ole Miss would be + a stipend.) They haven't told me rankings for the waitlist or any sort of timeline. I know there are only 4 or 5 spots for fiction, so chances are still slim of getting in and I want to do everything I can. Any advice on how to proceed is so so appreciated!

2 minutes ago, mrshakeysingstheblues said:

I echo everyone else’s feelings here. This wait is glacier slow. I really don’t have anything to lose, but it doesn’t make it less irritating. I could at least stop refreshing my email and staring at my phone. 

Right? I feel like a teenager waiting to get asked out...

So, does anyone have updates on The University of Arizona? I reached out to the program coordinator on Thursday and asked if I should expect a formal decision notification via email within the month or at all, and radio silence. I know their program was small this year, but I don't understand why they can't just send out the remaining decisions if the cohort is already accepted and those on the waitlist have been notified. 

Edited by Sydup