2022 Creative Writing MFA Applicants Forum

CanadianKate

1 minute ago, Nightwitch said:

I have a question!! I got a mail from a professor from New Mexico State saying that they want to have a conversation. Do they talk to people for waitlists too? Or can I hope that this will be an acceptance? Since our timezones are so wonky, he said that we could chat tomorrow. I'm so nervous!! Plus I have no idea what to say :o This was one of the programs I was targeting, but thought I wouldn't get into because of a small problem with my LORs

yea, you got in. Congrats!!

11 hours ago, saintnick9 said:

I received an acceptance letter last week from the program director and in that email she said that the official offer of admissions would be coming in "soon" from the College of Graduate Studies. I know they are busy people and are sending out hundreds of notifications, but generally speaking how long does it usually take to receive the official offer after receiving the acceptance letter? It's been a week since I received the acceptance letter, and everybody has a different definition for the word "soon."

I know for a fact that this is just me being super impatient, but I've been lowkey buzzing since I received the acceptance letter and I just want to slam that "accept" button and make it official already. 

Hi! I got an acceptance from UNCW last Tuesday and the "official" acceptance from their graduate school on Thursday. I'm still waiting on funding/TAship information. Hope this helps! Congrats, btw!

@Nightwitchahhh congrats!!! That is so exciting! Phone call definitely is always good news.

Does anyone have any info on University of New Mexico? Seems like they usually have notified by now.

Edited by MDP

23 minutes ago, MDP said:

@Nightwitchahhh congrats!!! That is so exciting! Phone call definitely is always good news.

Thank you so much ❤️! And I think someone posted about New Mexico in the forum, but I'm sot sure if they were asking the same question as you, or talking about notification timelines!

29 minutes ago, Nightwitch said:

Thank you so much ❤️! And I think someone posted about New Mexico in the forum, but I'm sot sure if they were asking the same question as you, or talking about notification timelines!

For sure :) And yeah, just was wondering if anyone knew if they'd already notified for acceptances yet.

10 minutes ago, panglosian said:

Idk if anyone has said this here yet but I know people are waiting on Hollins, and there was a Hollins acceptance by email in Draft last night (poetry)

Ahhh I'm waiting to hear about Hollins Fiction, definitely keep us posted on here :) I'm not in Draft

No word on Fiction yet in there?

Edited by MDP

1 hour ago, JunieBaloonie said:

Hi! I got an acceptance from UNCW last Tuesday and the "official" acceptance from their graduate school on Thursday. I'm still waiting on funding/TAship information. Hope this helps! Congrats, btw!

It does, thank you! And congrats to you as well!

10 minutes ago, adwalker4394 said:

Someone said they were waitlisted for fiction yesterday in the Draft, but I haven't heard anything about acceptances/more waitlists/other genres. 

Damn, I'm guessing acceptances have gone out then. Rare for waitlists to go out before accepts, I think. Starting to feel pretty sure that this season will be a wash for me :( 

53 minutes ago, MDP said:

Damn, I'm guessing acceptances have gone out then. Rare for waitlists to go out before accepts, I think. Starting to feel pretty sure that this season will be a wash for me :( 

That's my thought, too. I've been neurotically peeking in my actual mailbox every day since they sent a "thank for applying" letter through snail-mail lol.

Sorry your decision season's not showing up for you. :(If it makes you feel any better, this is my second season applying and it's looking like I'm not going to have much of a choice between schools. The two others in my writing group that went to their MFAs got rejected across the board their first season, too. Idk if this is your first, but the good thing about MFAs is your application really can only improve every year. 

2 minutes ago, adwalker4394 said:

That's my thought, too. I've been neurotically peeking in my actual mailbox every day since they sent a "thank for applying" letter through snail-mail lol.

Sorry your decision season's not showing up for you. :(If it makes you feel any better, this is my second season applying and it's looking like I'm not going to have much of a choice between schools. The two others in my writing group that went to their MFAs got rejected across the board their first season, too. Idk if this is your first, but the good thing about MFAs is your application really can only improve every year. 

Ahh interesting...so the "thank you for applying" letter was a rejection letter or the waitlist letter? Weird that some schools still use snail mail. Forgive me for all the questions lol, I'm feeling really neurotic about something in my personal life (unrelated to grad school) and I'm funneling the anxiety into this.

I still technically have five places to hear from, but I don't have much hope left at all. I'm feeling kind of stupid for even applying/thinking I could do this. This is my second go-round after across the board rejections my first time, and I guess I was just feeling hopeful going into it, especially after sitting out last cycle and taking a different approach. But now I feel I'm in for another huge reality check/ego check, ha.

1 minute ago, MDP said:

Ahh interesting...so the "thank you for applying" letter was a rejection letter or the waitlist letter? Weird that some schools still use snail mail. Forgive me for all the questions lol, I'm feeling really neurotic about something in my personal life (unrelated to grad school) and I'm funneling the anxiety into this.

I still technically have five places to hear from, but I don't have much hope left at all. I'm feeling kind of stupid for even applying/thinking I could do this. This is my second go-round after across the board rejections my first time, and I guess I was just feeling hopeful going into it, especially after sitting out last cycle and taking a different approach. But now I feel I'm in for another huge reality check/ego check, ha.

I think the letter was literally just thanking me for applying, no waitlist or rejection. I didn't get the "Your application has been received" email, just the regular letter. I think they're working in a bit of an antiquated system.

This goes for everyone feeling the ache of rejection season, but I think the only real issue of a bunk season is the money-sink app fees can be (RIP my savings account). The process of applying, putting your work together, thinking about your work and you as a writer in your SoP only makes you a better writer and a stronger candidate for next time. I think I'm a better writer now than I was even in November when I was putting all of my stuff together. I know all this doesn't do much to alleviate the pain of rejection, but hopefully it can numb it a little. Then just prove them wrong next year, show them what they missed, etc. 

14 minutes ago, Dog said:

There was just one posted for fiction on Draft.

Welpppp bracing for this letdown lol.

Did they happen to say if it was email or phone?

Edited by MDP

1 minute ago, MDP said:

Welpppp bracing for this letdown lol.

Did they happen to say if it was email or phone?

No, no mention of email or phone. One poetry admit said email, though.

Edited by Dog

Long time lurker, decided to come out of the shadows. Has anyone had any further word from Iowa? My wife and I will be living in Iowa City starting in June because she was lucky enough to find a teaching job near there. I’ve seen some postings but they seem suspect. I directly contacted Deb West  at IWW and she stated she hadn’t heard anything from the committees as of last Thursday. 

I also applied to Ole Miss and Minnesota State’s MFA program, and was accepted to MSUM. I had to decline because of moving to IA, so if anyone was on the waitlist there for poetry, there’s a spot open! I’m 37 and have a disability (early onset Parkinson’s) so my pick of schools is down to proximity rather than choice. I’m unable to work full time anymore, but I figured, hey, if all I do is sit around and write anyway, why not give it a shot? Especially if I’m 7 miles from Dey House, worth a shot. If not I can still hang out at Prairie Lights and write poetry with a cup of coffee. 

Oh, and over time I’ve had a chance to observe the person with multiple personalities and accounts. It takes a lot of effort to be that crazy. 

Edited by mrshakeysingstheblues

Just noticing that there doesn't seem to be any Michener fiction activity either here or on Facebook. Possibly the acceptances are so few that there's no overlap. Interesting.

@ Mr Shakey - congrats on the move! Seems like someone posted about a Poetry acceptance from IWW on the Facebook group just today. However it's not clear whether they are done notifying for any genre yet. They also do waitlists via snail mail so could take a while.