2022 Creative Writing MFA Applicants Forum

CanadianKate

6 minutes ago, Pastelsharks said:

Has anyone said anything about Boston U on Draft? I'm unsure about the results that have been posted today (though this is my first cycle so I don't know if this is the norm/they're spacing out the rejections ?)

I've gotten 3 rejects so far but they were on the same days as pretty much everyone else got their rejects lol 

Yeah, there were several rejections posted. I'm also waiting to hear back, it's weird that it doesn't seem like all the rejections went out at once. I could be wrong.

For anyone waiting on ND, there were a couple of poetry acceptances on Draft ~Feb. 26th and afterwards. I think some waitlists for poetry have also gone out, but no movement on fiction yet!

In case I missed anyone, congrats on everyone's acceptances who have posted here! :)

12 minutes ago, 1moreX said:

Anyone hear from Sarah Lawrence, Hunter, CCNY, Maryland?  Thanks much

No and its stressing me out lol!! I also applied to Sarah Lawrence, Hunter and CCNY, I am so happy to see another person who did as well!!

Just now, RosA-R said:

No and its stressing me out lol!! I also applied to Sarah Lawrence, Hunter and CCNY, I am so happy to see another person who did as well!!

I know. Here I am awake at 2:30 am. I'm too new to this process to know what it means that the NY schools are taking this long. But I've scoured the Results, and can't find anyone else who's heard.

I did get an email from Brooklyn saying I was a finalist and inviting me for an interview, which I'm doing in a few days. I believe it's a screening interview, I mean consequential, but it's not quite presented that way. Trying to figure out how to be myself and do my best all at the same time.

Did you apply to Brooklyn and Queens? If I get in to Brooklyn I'm going to be really happy and ready to rest.

1 minute ago, 1moreX said:

I know. Here I am awake at 2:30 am. I'm too new to this process to know what it means that the NY schools are taking this long. But I've scoured the Results, and can't find anyone else who's heard.

I did get an email from Brooklyn saying I was a finalist and inviting me for an interview, which I'm doing in a few days. I believe it's a screening interview, I mean consequential, but it's not quite presented that way. Trying to figure out how to be myself and do my best all at the same time.

Did you apply to Brooklyn and Queens? If I get in to Brooklyn I'm going to be really happy and ready to rest.

No, I'm CNF and Brooklyn only does fiction and playwriting. I only applied to Sarah Lawrence, Hunter, and CCNY. I already live in Brooklyn and I didn't want to apply to any programs outside of here, but I am happy to know there is someone here hopeful to be in the city!

To everyone: I applied only to local schools, even if they weren't fully funded, because I figured I already live here with my family and work, so I would be able to handle it. However, I see a lot of people are applying to programs, fully funded or not, all over the country. For my own knowledge in the event I need to apply again, what sort of planning did you all do to justify moving and living costs (car, housing, adjusting to lower wages in the case of some schools), even for a fully funded program? 

I just heard back from Syracuse Creative Writing Fiction saying that I got waitlisted!! I'm incredibly thrilled - is anyone else in this situation? We should hear back on whether any spots free up by April 15th.

13 hours ago, Rm714 said:

Quick question - what would you guys do in this case? A program contacted me in mid-February via email (unprompted). The director of the program reached out asking if I had any questions about it, and told me they "hoped to have admissions decisions completed by March 2nd." I responded with a different question and had a nice conversation with the director. 
Well, March 2nd came and went - absolutely nothing from them, and they didn't answer their phone when I called the general admissions line, either. Should I reply to the director asking whether I should expect a new date? No one else has posted about this school so I don't believe anyone else has heard anything (in other words, it's not just me they've not gotten back to). Or should I just tough it out and wait a bit longer?

Hi I’ve never posted before but I’m 80% sure this is about UNCG because I am having a very similar experience lol…to me when I talked with them it sounded as if they were aiming for March 2nd but it could and likely would be later. I also talked to them in late February so maybe the answer had changed. Personally, I’ve gotten an acceptance so I’m not terribly anxious but I will commiserate with you! I have really gotten my hopes caught on them!

18 hours ago, Mdlama said:

Thanks! Fiction. I still think it’s a long shot, but it’s encouraging. I think the waitlists are probably ranked but it can’t hurt to advocate for yourself, emailing/calling/making it known how much you want it. 

Congrats Mdlama! I'm also on the wait-list for Fiction. I think the only thing to do now is wait patiently (as tough as it may seem). Do you mind if I ask if you're applying straight out of undergrad? Just curious, thanks.

33 minutes ago, Nicolas M. said:

Congrats Mdlama! I'm also on the wait-list for Fiction. I think the only thing to do now is wait patiently (as tough as it may seem). Do you mind if I ask if you're applying straight out of undergrad? Just curious, thanks.

Hey Nicholas- congrats! Undergrad is far behind me :). How about yourself?

3 minutes ago, Mdlama said:

Hey Nicholas- congrats! Undergrad is far behind me :). How about yourself?

I'm 20 and in my last year of uni - which makes me suspect I probably don't stand a chance of getting off the waitlist. But best of luck!!

5 hours ago, RosA-R said:

No, I'm CNF and Brooklyn only does fiction and playwriting. I only applied to Sarah Lawrence, Hunter, and CCNY. I already live in Brooklyn and I didn't want to apply to any programs outside of here, but I am happy to know there is someone here hopeful to be in the city!

All the best to you @RosA-R. Fingers crossed for you from me here. I'll update you as I know. (Thinking CCNY is so big they might contact CNF and fiction at different times.) It's been a while, but I'd be really glad to return to my hometown, NYC. 

4 minutes ago, Nicolas M. said:

I'm 20 and in my last year of uni - which makes me suspect I probably don't stand a chance of getting off the waitlist. But best of luck!!

I don’t think that’s true! It’s about the writing. Don’t let that inner critical voice anticipate your rejection when there’s no evidence to support it, only vague rumors of “what they’re looking for in candidates”. They found something they were looking for in you! We have no way of knowing what’s in play w/ regard to this teeny tiny wait list. But I think you should keep open the possibility that you have as much a shot as any of the six of us, because you do.  *Also if your use of “uni” means you’re from the UK, I think that counts as an advantage!  Crossing my fingers for both of us. 

7 minutes ago, Mdlama said:

I don’t think that’s true! It’s about the writing. Don’t let that inner critical voice anticipate your rejection when there’s no evidence to support it, only vague rumors of “what they’re looking for in candidates”. They found something they were looking for in you! We have no way of knowing what’s in play w/ regard to this teeny tiny wait list. But I think you should keep open the possibility that you have as much a shot as any of the six of us, because you do.  *Also if your use of “uni” means you’re from the UK, I think that counts as an advantage!  Crossing my fingers for both of us. 

Thank you for the words of encouragement! Fingers crossed for us too :) And I'm from Argentina but currently studying in the UK!

9 minutes ago, Nicolas M. said:

Thank you for the words of encouragement! Fingers crossed for us too :) And I'm from Argentina but currently studying in the UK!

You’re just going from strength to strength here. It’s huge that you’re an international student. (And from the land of Borges & César Aira.) 

1 hour ago, 1moreX said:

All the best to you @RosA-R. Fingers crossed for you from me here. I'll update you as I know. (Thinking CCNY is so big they might contact CNF and fiction at different times.) It's been a while, but I'd be really glad to return to my hometown, NYC. 

Thanks! Yeah, from the posted results on here, assuming that the submission deadline has been the same, CCNY seems to have a quick turnaround time but I could be wrong! Good luck on your interview!!!

1 minute ago, RosA-R said:

Thanks! Yeah, from the posted results on here, assuming that the submission deadline has been the same, CCNY seems to have a quick turnaround time but I could be wrong! Good luck on your interview!!!

Thanks.

2 hours ago, Akkohno said:

Hi I’ve never posted before but I’m 80% sure this is about UNCG because I am having a very similar experience lol…to me when I talked with them it sounded as if they were aiming for March 2nd but it could and likely would be later. I also talked to them in late February so maybe the answer had changed. Personally, I’ve gotten an acceptance so I’m not terribly anxious but I will commiserate with you! I have really gotten my hopes caught on them!

It's actually a different university..! The only thing I'm going with regarding the date is a line in an email that said "We hope to have our admissions decisions completed by the 2nd of March." After that, I didn't actually discuss the date with the director, I had a different question to ask.

50 minutes ago, chuey said:

@Rm714 I would still give it another week before checking in, I feel the dates they give are always such a rough estimate.

Alright! I'll hang in there, then.