2022 Creative Writing MFA Applicants Forum

CanadianKate

16 minutes ago, MDP said:

Yes, keep the hope alive, haha! Honestly I don't know why I applied to NYU, even if I did get in I wouldn't go. I don't have the stamina to live in the city anymore. In-unit washer and dryer have spoiled me at my current place.

Draft is a Facebook group where people can post creative writing MFA results, ask questions, find roommates, etc. I think if you look up MFA Draft 2022 on FB it'll pop up. Though I've heard it takes a while to get admitted to the group since the admins have to sift through and approve so many requests.

Thank you! I've just requested to join the Facebook group.

I suppose even if you decide not to accept the offer, getting into NYU is a nice ego boost ;) I'm the opposite, I'm finishing my undergrad in London and would love to move to NYC - however I need funding to do so, and the NYC programmes I've applied to (NYU and Columbia) don't seem to offer much of it.

Well, I just got the rejection from Virginia, too. BUT at the same time I got a phone call from University of Mississippi letting me know that I was officially in (after I had been waitlisted a week ago)! This is the first fully-funded offer I've received and I'm thrilled. Still waiting on a few schools, but for everyone else on waitlists right now, there is still so much shifting around that will happen as other candidates make decisions and give up their spots.

1 hour ago, nsb92 said:

Well, I just got the rejection from Virginia, too. BUT at the same time I got a phone call from University of Mississippi letting me know that I was officially in (after I had been waitlisted a week ago)! This is the first fully-funded offer I've received and I'm thrilled. Still waiting on a few schools, but for everyone else on waitlists right now, there is still so much shifting around that will happen as other candidates make decisions and give up their spots.

Congratulations!!

3 hours ago, MDP said:

Thanks :') I've kind of made my peace with the fact that it's probably all no's this year, haha. Best case scenario maybe some wait lists. Pretty sure if I was going to get any acceptances I'd have heard by now. Maybe not, though!

There's still time! So please hold on and keep hoping :D 

I got a rejection from Houston when checking Applyweb, and for sure Florida is out too - since I didn't make the waitlist. On the other hand I did get a TAship from Chatham but it's a remission of 9k/year - which still leaves the question of where the other 42k is gonna come from. I'm probably going to be declining. With the rate of exchange, its 76 times of whatever I have to save up/pay off in dollars - seriously not doable. I'd initially interviewed for a position with a full tuition waiver, but I guess they already had the TAship in mind instead. So fingers crossed that NMSU comes through :o

1 minute ago, nicolette7766 said:

Has anyone heard from UNCG? Someone got rejected by email on Draft but I didn’t get an email. 

Yes. The Graduate School sent out rejections and said that there’d be official ones later. 

If you’ve seen anything on NC State or WVU, it’d be great to hear. haha…or maybe not but I’d like to hear all the same. 

On 3/3/2022 at 7:44 PM, chuey said:

this was a poetry acceptance!

I'm a fiction applicant for UF, any word on if they were final on only accepting 2/genre? Or are they still sending out acceptances? Website still says 6 per genre. My status still says under review. What a bummer if they cut it down to two.

8 minutes ago, chuey said:

@EmilyKate1 from my understanding, all acceptances have gone out, and so have waitlist offers. I haven't received a rejection yet, but I don't doubt that's what's coming. 

Sorry to the both of us! Two is so tiny for a cohort. 

WOW! It really is so small. Can't believe it. Thanks, and best of luck to you!!

24 minutes ago, nicolette7766 said:

Has anyone heard from UNCG? Someone got rejected by email on Draft but I didn’t get an email. 

I heard from UNCG program director on 2/22 with kind email but rejection. Best of luck to you!

Woo-hoo! (As Homer Simpson would exclaim)

Sounds like more good news for some who've been waiting.  Cheers to y'all, folks!

I freaked out when the initial document from UAF disappeared and got in contact with the MFA director, haha, but also apologized in advance as grad apps anxiety is particularly potent during this month.  She was very courteous and confirmed my suspicion that it was likely just a document with an invisible timer to be viewed and/or signed.

Curious: I know there are 2 Waitlisted notices for UAF in the Results page here, and I'm a third...  Anyone have any idea what the UAF cohort number is?  It's a school with very little history in the Results page here, and indeed, elsewhere on the Web (I love that about it, frankly, but not so much right now in the waiting spell, haha), so I'm speculating if all incoming grads are waitlisted until outgoing grads are done and they have a better handle on the funding.

I could just be speculating too much, of course, but oh boy is Alaska calling my name.  I'm dying to answer its call!  :)

13 minutes ago, koechophe said:

Let me just try to stop bawling for a second so I can say that I'm in at McNeese!

I really thought it was all rejections. I'm in shock in the best way possible.

I'm so happy for you! This is wonderful!

1 hour ago, koechophe said:

Let me just try to stop bawling for a second so I can say that I'm in at McNeese!

I really thought it was all rejections. I'm in shock in the best way possible.

congratulations!! 

1 minute ago, sb2798 said:

holy shit I'm in at McNeese for poetry!! After 9 rejections and 1 waitlist, i can't believe thissss

Hey, congrats! Maybe we'll see each other there lol. 

A very nice message from Amy Fleury telling me I will not be going to McNeese, haha.  It might be the first note that actually says, "Hey, we actually liked what we read," though not enough for inclusion in the program, alas, so kudos to them for having a smidge more humanity and vibrancy in the way they disappoint applicants.

Class act.  :)

Looks more and more likely Alaska will be my only A, so I shall A that A until I can A no more...  Which will hopefully be a moment never to come.

Cheers to the two peeps who got in!

1 hour ago, oubukibun said:

Woo-hoo! (As Homer Simpson would exclaim)

Sounds like more good news for some who've been waiting.  Cheers to y'all, folks!

I freaked out when the initial document from UAF disappeared and got in contact with the MFA director, haha, but also apologized in advance as grad apps anxiety is particularly potent during this month.  She was very courteous and confirmed my suspicion that it was likely just a document with an invisible timer to be viewed and/or signed.

Curious: I know there are 2 Waitlisted notices for UAF in the Results page here, and I'm a third...  Anyone have any idea what the UAF cohort number is?  It's a school with very little history in the Results page here, and indeed, elsewhere on the Web (I love that about it, frankly, but not so much right now in the waiting spell, haha), so I'm speculating if all incoming grads are waitlisted until outgoing grads are done and they have a better handle on the funding.

I could just be speculating too much, of course, but oh boy is Alaska calling my name.  I'm dying to answer its call!  :)

There was only one other UAF post on Draft besides myself, and I also posted results on here, so I think it's tough to guess this year's cohort size based on results, but it's so exciting to see that you're leaning towards UAF. If I were offered funding, it would help my own decision along a lot easier and I wouldn't be leaning on my Seattle waitlist as hard.

19 minutes ago, oubukibun said:

A very nice message from Amy Fleury telling me I will not be going to McNeese, haha.  It might be the first note that actually says, "Hey, we actually liked what we read," though not enough for inclusion in the program, alas, so kudos to them for having a smidge more humanity and vibrancy in the way they disappoint applicants.

A lot of the programs were literally just like "We were unable to accept your application. Goodbye." lol. I'm always appreciative of the programs that take time to try and soften the blow. 

Hope things work out with Alaska. It's a huge honor just to be waitlisted (though I hope it ends up being an A too!)

@MDP I wanted to say thanks for your help, I actually ended up using the piece we workshopped together for my McNeese application. I was hoping that it'd eventually get me into a grad program, I didn't think it'd happen so quickly =).