2022 Creative Writing MFA Applicants Forum

CanadianKate

Hi everyone...

1st time applicant and first experience on the grad cafe...

I got into Temple for fiction last week (waitlisted "high up" for a teaching assistantship) and today just got waitlisted to Rutgers Camden (which was my first choice). I applied hybrid with a Fiction manuscript that included some poetic forms. It's my first round of this application process, my waitlist letter was super encouraging from Paul Lisicky and said if a spot opens up I would receive a call. Anyone have any advice or experience with the waitlist? Particularly because I applied hybrid I'm wondering if it matters if a Fiction or Poetry space opens up. Anyway, hope more good news for acceptances and possibilities like the waitlist go around today. 

56 minutes ago, mrshakeysingstheblues said:

Not to butt in, but I gotta tell ya, you may be jumping from dumpster fire to dumpster fire. I’ve worked in Higher Ed Administration (was a middle school teacher before) and it’s not that much better. Although with the whole current political climate and people going nuts about CRT and masks, I guess it could be worth it. 

This is fair. For me, currently, it’s how it is all set up and not being my end goal. Either way, wishing all good luck and that we end up where we’re meant to be in the future.

Hey Guys,

Finally got a moment to break away from everything and say I was accepted to the University of Alaska- Fairbanks MFA creative Writing program! I am waitlisted for funding, but I GOT IN!!!!

I really wanted it. Like really really wanted it. 

1 A- Fairbanks
2 pending
1 R- Uni of Wyoming

For a research, I'm looking for books and stories that deal with environmental waste and their impact on communities. Could be realist fiction, science fiction, magical realism, afrofuturism... Any recommendation is welcome. 

4 hours ago, neche said:

For a research, I'm looking for books and stories that deal with environmental waste and their impact on communities. Could be realist fiction, science fiction, magical realism, afrofuturism... Any recommendation is welcome. 

Hummingbird Salamander by Jeff Vandermeer is extremely good. 

7 hours ago, sb2798 said:

rejected from Maryland last night (poetry)

Thanks for letting me know, sb. Did you hear by email or some other way?

Best of luck to you in your other attempts.

Hello all!

I've been accepted to the Helen Zell Writers Program at Michigan, as well as Cornell's Creative Writing Program, and I'm in the process of deciding between them. 

The biggest point of difference to me atm is that Cornell is essentially a four year program (2 years MFA + 2 years lectureship), whereas Michigan is 2 years (third year of funding is competitive; and while they also have post-mfa lectureship positions available, it's also competitive). Given that one of my main priorities is to have the time to write/teach, Cornell is very appealing in that regard.

However, I wanted to see what other people's thoughts were, and if there were any other considerations which could help tip the scales in my decision making (e.g. general reputation, career prospects, quality of teaching, location, etc)

Thanks again :) 

Got in at University of Alabama (Prose) off the waitlist.

This is my first time applying and I felt I got sooooo many things wrong like applying to only two programs and using a style for my SoP that the program's website said specifically not to use. Not to mention how different my writing sample looks now from when I submitted in November, making me feel like I submitted trash.

I can almost say with certainty that I'm going to Alabama cos even though the second program (University of Florida) haven't notified, I don't see any major attraction that can sway me from going to Alabama.

Another L for the "New Yorker test" btw lol

Edited by neche
typo

45 minutes ago, neche said:

Got in at University of Alabama (Prose) off the waitlist.

This is my first time applying and I felt I got sooooo many things wrong like applying to only one program and using a style for my SoP that the program's website said specifically not to use. Not to mention how different my writing sample looks now from when I submitted in November, making me feel like I submitted trash.

I can almost say with certainty that I'm going to Alabama cos even though the second program (University of Florida) haven't notified, I don't see any major attraction that can sway me from going to Alabama.

Another L for the "New Yorker test" btw lol

Sooo happy to hear this! Huge congrats!!!

1 hour ago, neche said:

Thank you so so much @MDP

I'm rooting for you too from here.

Thanks :') I've kind of made my peace with the fact that it's probably all no's this year, haha. Best case scenario maybe some wait lists. Pretty sure if I was going to get any acceptances I'd have heard by now. Maybe not, though!

Do we think Iowa NWP (CNF) is done notifying? One person posted on Draft that she got a call on Friday afternoon, but I haven't seen anything  else. There was one post on the results page but it could be the same person as on Draft.

24 minutes ago, MDP said:

Thanks :') I've kind of made my peace with the fact that it's probably all no's this year, haha. Best case scenario maybe some wait lists. Pretty sure if I was going to get any acceptances I'd have heard by now. Maybe not, though!

What programs did you apply to? I’m sure you still have a chance!

27 minutes ago, nicolette7766 said:

What programs did you apply to? I’m sure you still have a chance!

Thank you!! I love your faith in me, haha, but it just looks like I won’t be going to school this fall. I applied to Hollins, UNM, UVA, Cornell, University of Michigan, Iowa, NYU. Rejected from University of Michigan and Cornell, and likely rejected from Iowa, NYU, and Hollins, since they already have started notifying their fiction admits and tend to do so within a few days or a week max. 

Speak of the devil…my UVA rejection just hit the inbox :( Pretty bummed, if unsurprised. It was my first choice. UNM looks like the only program I may have a shot at, though I’m thinking I’ll try to move to Charlottesville at the end of this year/early 2023 regardless of whether I reapply or get in anywhere. Would like to be close to family, and then I can just reapply to UVA again when I feel like it. 

6 minutes ago, MDP said:

Thank you!! I love your faith in me, haha, but it just looks like I won’t be going to school this fall. I applied to Hollins, UNM, UVA, Cornell, University of Michigan, Iowa, NYU. Rejected from University of Michigan and Cornell, and likely rejected from Iowa, NYU, and Hollins, since they already have started notifying their fiction admits and tend to do so within a few days or a week max. 

Speak of the devil…my UVA rejection just hit the inbox :( Pretty bummed, if unsurprised. It was my first choice. UNM looks like the only program I may have a shot at, though I’m thinking I’ll try to move to Charlottesville at the end of this year/early 2023 regardless of whether I reapply or get in anywhere. Would like to be close to family, and then I can just reapply to UVA again when I feel like it. 

Hey, don’t be so hard on yourself. That’s a really tough list and I think it’s amazing that you’re even applying! This MFA stuff really is a crapshoot, and while the writing sample is very important, a bit of luck comes into the play when it comes to admissions. One of my creative writing professors described it as a “numbers game.”

I really do think it’s possible that you can get into UNM, and I know that Iowa spreads out notifications so you still have a chance. Regardless of what happens though, keep your head held high and be proud of yourself because you still did an awesome job!

Just now, nicolette7766 said:

Hey, don’t be so hard on yourself. That’s a really tough list and I think it’s amazing that you’re even applying! This MFA stuff really is a crapshoot, and while the writing sample is very important, a bit of luck comes into the play when it comes to admissions. One of my creative writing professors described it as a “numbers game.”

I really do think it’s possible that you can get into UNM, and I know that Iowa spreads out notifications so you still have a chance. Regardless of what happens though, keep your head held high and be proud of yourself because you still did an awesome job!

Thank you for those kind words, really. It actually helps to hear! I also need to remind myself that I (somehow) put together all of my applications in my first 60 days sober, so I'm sure I'll do better next time with a clearer head. Third time will (maybe) be the charm.

Yes re: luck and numbers! I have a friend in AA who sat on admissions committees and he said that while quality is of course a factor, the nitty gritty admissions decisions are really very arbitrary.

31 minutes ago, MDP said:

I'm in the same position regarding NYU - but I still have hopes a late acceptance might come! From looking at previous years, their decisions seem to be quite spread out.

Also, could someone tell me what people mean by a result being up on 'Draft'? Is it a section of Gradcafe?

Just now, Nicolas M. said:

I'm in the same position regarding NYU - but I still have hopes a late acceptance might come! From looking at previous years, their decisions seem to be quite spread out.

Also, could someone tell me what people mean by a result being up on 'Draft'? Is it a section of Gradcafe?

Yes, keep the hope alive, haha! Honestly I don't know why I applied to NYU, even if I did get in I wouldn't go. I don't have the stamina to live in the city anymore. In-unit washer and dryer have spoiled me at my current place.

Draft is a Facebook group where people can post creative writing MFA results, ask questions, find roommates, etc. I think if you look up MFA Draft 2022 on FB it'll pop up. Though I've heard it takes a while to get admitted to the group since the admins have to sift through and approve so many requests.

In the spirit of waitlist limbo, I’m turning down my fiction spots at Oklahoma State, western Kentucky, and UNCW. If anyone is hoping for some good news from them, I do hope this moves you up on the list (for acceptance or funding!)

For those on waitlists, I’ve talked to a few program directors at the schools I’m waitlisted at, and I’ve created a process on how to move forward from here! Let me know if there’s anything else you’d add to the list below!

1)respond to the waitlist notification and let them know that you are interested (if you really are interested!) I was waitlisted at one of my top choices, so I told them candidly, “if I am offered admission, I am confident I will accept.” I think it’s okay to be direct and excited! 

2) ask any questions that might be relevant to your decision (ranking, funding, program-specific). Some of the faculty I talked to offered to set up calls with me, so be sure to inquire about that if you’re interested.

3) evaluate your options and research the programs! If they reach out with a notification, be ready to decline or accept ASAP. The sooner we all respond, the sooner we are all off waitlists (or can confirm there’s no chance of admission and make other plans.)

4) if you have a dominant offer in mind, go ahead and turn down your spots at other programs. If you’re on the waitlist at a place you know you won’t attend, you can remove yourself from the waitlist as well. 

finally, if you have a funded offer, you are under no obligation to make a decision until April 15. If a school asks you to inform them earlier, it is likely that they are asking to streamline their own process (and as courtesy to their waitlisted applicants.) several of my acceptances asked me to let them know in 7 days or two weeks, but I confirmed that this was not a formal deadline. I saw that some people felt the deadlines given were shady or aggressive, but just know that if you are accepted with funding, your spot is yours until April 15th.

That’s all from me!