2022 Creative Writing MFA Applicants Forum

CanadianKate

6 minutes ago, CHRISTOPHER QUANG BUI said:

Since VCU has waitlisted someone is it safe to assume their acceptances have went out as well?

Generally yes :( Waitlists usually go out a little after acceptances, or the same day at earliest. Anything's possible in this weird waiting game, though.

28 minutes ago, MDP said:

Generally yes :( Waitlists usually go out a little after acceptances, or the same day at earliest. Anything's possible in this weird waiting game, though.

Ah, thanks for answering. 

So if a program did interviews and I didnt get an interview does that mean they’re probably not interested? 

Sorry for the questions. I’m just new to the whole process. 

17 minutes ago, nicolette7766 said:

Ahhh congrats!!! That’s so exciting! Did they email or call you? 

Thanks! Honestly, it was kind of odd; I got an email saying a decision had been posted to my application status page and I completely assumed it was a rejection. But there was a warm letter of admission in the portal.

Hey there! I'm really confused about this BU situation. I've seen a number of rejections on the Results page, including someone who apparently got a rejection notification twice? And I've seen a few of you posting on here that you are waiting to hear. Based on the last several years of results page, I wasn't expecting to hear back from BU until end of March or early April, so this weird trickle of rejections is frustrating. I guess I'm mostly just venting/commiserating with others waiting from BU because I doubt anyone has any secret relevant info, but ugh!

9 minutes ago, Elwolf said:

Hey there! I'm really confused about this BU situation. I've seen a number of rejections on the Results page, including someone who apparently got a rejection notification twice? And I've seen a few of you posting on here that you are waiting to hear. Based on the last several years of results page, I wasn't expecting to hear back from BU until end of March or early April, so this weird trickle of rejections is frustrating. I guess I'm mostly just venting/commiserating with others waiting from BU because I doubt anyone has any secret relevant info, but ugh!

I feel ya, it really does feel like a weird trickle of rejections. I'm guessing acceptances might be next but who knows (and who knows when exactly that'll be)! 

Hello, all -

Feeling the excitement for all the MFA applicants. I went through this three years ago, and I can empathize with the agony of waiting. 

I might be in the wrong forum, but does anyone know if there has been any reporting of results for fellowship applications? Stegner, Colgate, Steinbeck, etc.? 

Thanks for any insight you can share -- even if it's, "hey, you're on the wrong train..." :)

16 minutes ago, Grad0520 said:

Hello, all -

Feeling the excitement for all the MFA applicants. I went through this three years ago, and I can empathize with the agony of waiting. 

I might be in the wrong forum, but does anyone know if there has been any reporting of results for fellowship applications? Stegner, Colgate, Steinbeck, etc.? 

Thanks for any insight you can share -- even if it's, "hey, you're on the wrong train..." :)

i could be wrong, but i remember reading stegner lets applicants know by early/first week of april. don't know about the others though.

1 hour ago, fishfish24 said:

Does anyone have conclusive info about fiction at Michener? 

Yeah, one of the guys who got a fiction spot commented on a post on Draft. He said the acceptances had gone out a few days ago. 

23 minutes ago, pasteur77 said:

What's the consensus on Iowa fiction? Done notifying? 

I would say if there's no word from them by Mar. 15 probably safe to assume rejection (or waitlist). I believe they send waitlists by mail? They tend to notify through the first two weeks of March

14 hours ago, RosA-R said:However, I see a lot of people are applying to programs, fully funded or not, all over the country. For my own knowledge in the event I need to apply again, what sort of planning did you all do to justify moving and living costs (car, housing, adjusting to lower wages in the case of some schools), even for a fully funded program? 

To be honest, Naropa isn’t a fully funded guarantee but I’m trying to leave the dumpster fire of K-12 to further pursue higher education and an eventual PhD and I’ve set up massive savings account for the last year.

Edited by gagne

12 minutes ago, gagne said:

To be honest, Naropa isn’t a fully find guarantee but I’m trying to leave the dumpster fire of K-12 to further pursue higher education and an eventual PhD and I’ve set up massive savings account for the last year.

Congrats on being accepted!!!! I guess I ask because I am graduating as an undergrad this summer, but this isn't my first time in school; I feel like I've been living my life one foot in, one foot out and I feel kind of restless still being in school. I don't want to leave Brooklyn since all my family is here, but if I don't get accepted, I know I would just rather wait to be able to get better and go to the schools everyone says are amazing, but the thought of all the money it would take to like get a car, or potentially move somewhere for two years and come back where wages are not like here is a little discouraging, and I really want to get to the point where I feel like I'm living a life, lol.

Anyway sorry for all that information, all of that to say that I find all of you guys' posts so inspiring because you all are brave and confident and I majorly respect that!!

2 hours ago, gagne said:

To be honest, Naropa isn’t a fully funded guarantee but I’m trying to leave the dumpster fire of K-12 to further pursue higher education and an eventual PhD and I’ve set up massive savings account for the last year.

Not to butt in, but I gotta tell ya, you may be jumping from dumpster fire to dumpster fire. I’ve worked in Higher Ed Administration (was a middle school teacher before) and it’s not that much better. Although with the whole current political climate and people going nuts about CRT and masks, I guess it could be worth it.