PhD / DrPh Fall 2022

3 hours ago, DrPH Dan said:

Emailed BU, GWU, JHU, Harvard, & Columbia (all DrPH) about whether all interview invites already went out, whether an interview is needed for admission, and timeline for hearing back. Here are the responses thus far:

GWU - Still reviewing apps. Next steps will be given in the next few weeks.

Columbia (SMS) - No interviews are given for doctoral apps. Initial decisions mid-part of February.

Will report back when I get more responses!

Thanks for posting - do you know if this applies to the Columbia SMS PhD as well? 

Received my second rejection of the cycle from Emory. Just waiting for other letters. I am feeling like I won’t be having any luck in this cycle. It seems like Tulane may have already had interviews based on this forum.

Emory - Rejection

Miami - Rejection

Harvard - Waiting

SDSU/UCSD - Waiting

Tulane - Waiting

2 hours ago, smellycat said:

Does anyone know why some batches of people get official rejections while others receive interview invites, and some remain 'under review' for who knows how long only to probably (lets be real) get rejected way later? Why the 'under review' for so long?

From what I’ve heard from current students/profs is that if you’re not rejected out right it means you’re on an informal waitlist in the event that someone rejects their offer 

3 hours ago, smellycat said:

Does anyone know why some batches of people get official rejections while others receive interview invites, and some remain 'under review' for who knows how long only to probably (lets be real) get rejected way later? Why the 'under review' for so long?

24 minutes ago, RMSK said:

From what I’ve heard from current students/profs is that if you’re not rejected out right it means you’re on an informal waitlist in the event that someone rejects their offer 

People in this thread / forum also tend to think of this process as far more systematic/formalized than it actually is. A lot of programs screen out applications based on GPA/GRE/work experience, etc. in an initial round, but, beyond that, it really is a game of qualitative considerations about fit as well as faculty capacity and funding. You could be a great candidate on paper but if you're a worse fit working with the faculty at a program than someone with comparable statistics, you just simply will not get accepted in that cycle. Alternatively, you could get into a program from which you've been rejected the prior year. There's a ton of randomness and soft considerations that factor into how programs choose their candidates but also how they handle the process. And COVID and figuring out how to manage instruction of classes has only added to these challenges.

1 hour ago, PH2022 said:

For those waiting on the UNC DrPH program I just received an interview invite for that program via email this morning. I'm over the moon I made it this far. Good luck to everyone and hope you hear something soon!

AAARRGGGHHHHHHH Congrats!! That's huge. Seriously, that program is incredible and the admissions criteria are steep. ***checks spam and refreshes email every 5 seconds*** ?

1 hour ago, aca105 said:

People in this thread / forum also tend to think of this process as far more systematic/formalized than it actually is. A lot of programs screen out applications based on GPA/GRE/work experience, etc. in an initial round, but, beyond that, it really is a game of qualitative considerations about fit as well as faculty capacity and funding. You could be a great candidate on paper but if you're a worse fit working with the faculty at a program than someone with comparable statistics, you just simply will not get accepted in that cycle. Alternatively, you could get into a program from which you've been rejected the prior year. There's a ton of randomness and soft considerations that factor into how programs choose their candidates but also how they handle the process. And COVID and figuring out how to manage instruction of classes has only added to these challenges.

2 hours ago, RMSK said:

Thanks for the replies.

My inquiry was aimed at JHU Epi to be more specific, and am wondering if it's worth sending an email to the department about when we should expect to hear back or get a little more info on interview dates (ie when is the last date).

52 minutes ago, smellycat said:

Thanks for the replies.

My inquiry was aimed at JHU Epi to be more specific, and am wondering if it's worth sending an email to the department about when we should expect to hear back or get a little more info on interview dates (ie when is the last date).

They said that the decisions should be out by mid Feb, so I guess interviews should be done by then?

On 1/30/2022 at 1:02 PM, medception said:

Update: Received notification of recommendation for acceptance to GWU Health Economics and Policy PhD this morning.

Update: Received official admission to University of Minnesota Health Services Research, Policy and Administration Ph.D a few minutes ago.

Rejections: UPenn Wharton Health Econ Ph.D

Interviews: JHU Health Econ Ph.D, Brown HSR Ph.D, BU HSR Ph.D, GWU Health Policy Ph.D

Acceptances: UMN HSR Ph.D, GWU Health Policy Ph.D

Silence: Harvard, Yale, Michigan

5 minutes ago, medception said:

Update: Received official admission to University of Minnesota Health Services Research, Policy and Administration Ph.D a few minutes ago.

Rejections: UPenn Wharton Health Econ Ph.D

Interviews: JHU Health Econ Ph.D, Brown HSR Ph.D, BU HSR Ph.D, GWU Health Policy Ph.D

Acceptances: UMN HSR Ph.D, GWU Health Policy Ph.D

Silence: Harvard, Yale, Michigan

Congrats on The admission, hope you from some of the silent ones soon! I am supposed to, hopefully, hear from UNMC by end of this week regarding status, as well as Rutgers.

Anxiously waiting to hear back from a few schools. Anyone here who applied to PhD programs have heard anything about timeline from Columbia, epi track (or others schools)?

Applied: Columbia, JHU, Brown, Harvard, Yale, BU

Interviewed: JHU (last week), Brown (last week)

Rejected: TBD

Accepted: TBD

Waitlisted: TBD

16 minutes ago, DrPH2022WI said:

Congrats on The admission, hope you from some of the silent ones soon! I am supposed to, hopefully, hear from UNMC by end of this week regarding status, as well as Rutgers.

Nice!! Best of luck to you! I will say that there was no mention of funding so I dunno what that looks like.

I was invited to a conversation from a PI.

However, she says she has no funding (i.e., no fellowship to offer) and we should come up with a plan.

I am not sure what she means by this, should I be able to support myself + pay tuition fee?

I have few scholarship options from my country, but I would only know in June if I could be granted, and it is very competitive, plus it won't be enough to support a life in LA.  Fullbright, I can only apply before the PhD application, so that is not an option.

Any advice where I can look into/what I should prepare before having this conversation?

30 minutes ago, EpiHopeful22 said:

Has anyone else applied to the PhD in epidemiology programs at USC, Stanford, and UMass Amherst and know when we should hear back?

I think USC does rolling admissions. I saw acceptances for the HBR program in early Jan and I was recently accepted to the HBR program earlier this week (had an informal interview with the POI mid Jan). It may vary by department, but it seems like its a continuous process. 

32 minutes ago, EpiHopeful22 said:

Has anyone else applied to the PhD in epidemiology programs at USC, Stanford, and UMass Amherst and know when we should hear back?

I heard that Stanford will be sending out interview invites for the next two weeks.

1 minute ago, Ehphd said:

I was invited to a conversation from a PI.

However, she says she has no funding (i.e., no fellowship to offer) and we should come up with a plan.

I am not sure what she means by this, should I be able to support myself + pay tuition fee?

I have few scholarship options from my country, but I would only know in June if I could be granted, and it is very competitive, plus it won't be enough to support a life in LA.  Fullbright, I can only apply before the PhD application, so that is not an option.

Any advice where I can look into/what I should prepare before having this conversation?

Can I ask if this is UCLA? It seems like UCLA is notorious for their funding. I think you could reach out to the graduate director too and see how students are usually funded. You could ask about the fellowships/TA-ships offerred and what their yield rates are. There may also be funding opportunities within the school's graduate division that you could potentially apply to as well. 

1 minute ago, FuturePhDPls said:

Can I ask if this is UCLA? It seems like UCLA is notorious for their funding. I think you could reach out to the graduate director too and see how students are usually funded. You could ask about the fellowships/TA-ships offerred and what their yield rates are. There may also be funding opportunities within the school's graduate division that you could potentially apply to as well. 

Yes, it is UCLA Epi. And thank you so much for the detailed reply!

She said she has "no fellowships to offer": does this include TA/RA positions? And "IF" I could get funding from here and there, would it be enough to support me throughout the program..? I don't know how much I should expect as an expense per month in LA. I studied in Europe and the TA/RA positions would support 1000 euros, tops.