HGSE 2022

TabTurbo

It has been such a high since getting the good news! I also wanted to try and help pay it forward to future folks that apply and post my information here. I saw the post from @TabTurbo that had a page with a lot of information from accepted applicants that @graciasadios and @mjsmith put together. Maybe they can add all of our information there if other people feel ok posting their information here:

Concentration/Program: LDIT
GRE: 158 Verbal, 156 Quant, 4.0 AW
Work experience: 3 years full-time work while doing my BS degree (teller at a bank)
Undergrad: BS in Psychology
Undergrad GPA: 3.5
Research: One small project in undergrad. Presented it at an undergrad research forum for school.
LORs: 2 from former professors, 1 from my boss
Other info: Can't think of anything really interesting or helpful for here

I waited all weekend to open my email. Excited to say, I'll be joining y'all in Boston! I'd love to join a groupme or discord if y'all are down? I'm happy to start one as well. Hope all who didn't get in this round will join us next time. Happy to help y'all in any way possible, feel free to dm.  

3 hours ago, FruitVodka said:

Received an acceptance to LDIT. Super excited and looking to connect with others! Which groups can I join?

I'd love to hop in that, if possible. Also:

Concentration/Program: EPA 
GRE: Did not submit 
Work experience: 6 years at nonprofits, in state government, advocacy, and at a university research institute 
Undergrad: BA in History
Undergrad GPA: 3.49
Research: Personal projects published via nonprofits + some journalism work. 
LORs: 1 from nonprofit where I volunteer, 1 from boss at a research institute, one from a higher ed advocacy org (no professors)
Other info: I pushed hard on the work I did for others and had a common theme (service and higher ed access) in all of my essays. It's also true to my work, but I kept my message direct and circled every idea back to those concepts. 

53 minutes ago, DogeCoin said:

It has been such a high since getting the good news! I also wanted to try and help pay it forward to future folks that apply and post my information here. I saw the post from @TabTurbo that had a page with a lot of information from accepted applicants that @graciasadios and @mjsmith put together. Maybe they can add all of our information there if other people feel ok posting their information here:

Work experience: 3 years full-time work while doing my BS degree (teller at a bank)
Research: One small project in undergrad. Presented it at an undergrad research forum for school.

Happy to help too!

Concentration/Program: HDE
GRE: Didn't take.
Work experience: 1 year full-time after graduating, and worked some part-time jobs while in college.
Undergrad: BA in Communications.
Undergrad GPA: 3.45
Research: Worked part-time for a professor for a year doing data entry for their research.
LORs: 2 from professors, 1 from a place I have been volunteering at for almost 5 years. Since I reapplied, I had 1 more letter this time around from my supervisor.
Other info: Like @Cole_Wilson, I just tried to connect my SOP with what my LOR writers new about me and the rest of my application.

1 hour ago, DogeCoin said:

Happy to help out update it with the information from folks accepted this application cycle.

Congratulations to everyone that was accepted!

5 hours ago, DogeCoin said:

Agreed, happy to help out!

GRE: 164 Verbal, 168 Quant, 5.5 AW
Work experience: 1.5 years full-time as a software engineer post graduation
Undergrad: BTech Computer Science and Engineering
Undergrad GPA: 4
Research: One project in Computer Science education (teaching programming to children in school), published at IEEE EduCon
LORs: 1 from professor I did the above independent study with, 1 from college professor who I TAd for, 1 from work manager
Other info: 1 year of volunteer work (later member of core team) at an NGO, helping students from underserved communities in my state access quality education during the pandemic.

Edited by FruitVodka

37 minutes ago, Gradstudent201 said:

Just found out that I was waitlisted in the EdM  Human Development program.  Any idea If people get off the waitlist ever? 

I can ask around and try to find out more about this. I want to say at least a couple of colleagues got in off the waitlist, but I want to check and make sure about that.

Hi folks!!! Still so pumped. I celebrated hard this weekend ?

Anyone know when we can expect financial aid decisions? This is truly a dream come true, but unfortunately, teachers are not paid very well, especially working in developing nations, and I am a bit nervous about financing HGSE. 

On 3/4/2022 at 10:10 PM, caxiatec said:

I really can't believe decisions are out! congratulations to all who got in. If you are interested in joining the different groups: LDIT and HGSE general groups, let me know. A few of us from last year are already in there.

I'm interested in joining the HGSE general group. Would you please send me the info? 

2 hours ago, MsKTeachesEnglish said:

Hi folks!!! Still so pumped. I celebrated hard this weekend ?

Anyone know when we can expect financial aid decisions? This is truly a dream come true, but unfortunately, teachers are not paid very well, especially working in developing nations, and I am a bit nervous about financing HGSE. 

I went and checked when I got the email last year. The financial packages were sent out on March 20th. I don't know if it will be the same day this year.