MSW 2022 CANADA APPLICATION FORUM

17 hours ago, ChipDip said:

Hey everyone, just to update about the “unsuccessful” message I had on MyFile. I emailed the school and ended up having to call them and they said that if there is a notice already on MyFile, it means that you didn’t meet the admission requirements. For me they said it was my GPA wasn’t a B+ (which I know it is, and I didn’t have this issue last year). I had them reassess it since I also did courses in the fall to upgrade my GPA since my final semester was pass/fail due to studying abroad. I got an email today saying that after they reassessed it I do meet all requirements, including GPA, and that it was indeed a mistake and I am still being considered for the program. 

So long story short, if you feel something is off about your application or anything you’ve received, reach out to them!

Thanks for sharing this this info and your process! Mine was unsuccessful and I got an email confirming it, now I'm thinking it's likely because I didn't meet the minimum admission requirements due to my poor GPA. I'm re-taking courses at the moment to improve my GPA so hoping for better luck next year!

Edited by roughclub

1 hour ago, MLMSW2022 said:

Ok for all those waiting for MSWwp Windsor I heard back just now and did not get accepted. I will see how the rest of my applications goes

Oh no I’m so sorry! Wishing you good luck with your other applications. Thanks for sharing this update. I’m waiting to hear back from Windsor, I also submitted in November hoping this means I can also expect to hear soon 

1 hour ago, roughclub said:

Thanks for sharing this this info and your process! Mine was unsuccessful and I got an email confirming it, now I'm thinking it's likely because I didn't meet the minimum admission requirements due to my poor GPA. I'm re-taking courses at the moment to improve my GPA so hoping for better luck next year!

Honestly, I got that email too. It’s automated—whenever something changes on MyFile you’ll get an email a few days later. If you aren’t 100% sure that it’s your GPA, I would suggest emailing them! Best of luck to you!

Just to update everyone, I heard back from Mswwp today. Unfortunately I didn’t receive the acceptance that I was hoping to. Over the past few hours I have been stressing about it, as I thought I stood a chance this year. 

for my stats: I had an 85 GPA and 3000 hours of experience. 

40 minutes ago, madamemsw2022 said:

Just to update everyone, I heard back from Mswwp today. Unfortunately I didn’t receive the acceptance that I was hoping to. Over the past few hours I have been stressing about it, as I thought I stood a chance this year. 

Oh no, I'm sorry to hear that! Did they provide any feedback for the next time? 

I wonder if this year is more competitive since they switched to being an online program...  

53 minutes ago, madamemsw2022 said:

Did you apply for the bsw or non bsw stream? It looks like on campus and non-bsw wp applications are hearing back sooner

@Geralt No, I applied to the advanced standing stream. the information they provided for the non admission was word for word: "the program is very competitive and a limited number of qualified applicants are admitted each year." 

I thought that my stats and supplemental questions would have made me a competitive applicant but I guess not. I am hoping to maybe contact the school to see if I can receive anymore feedback about my application specifically. 

2 minutes ago, madamemsw2022 said:

@Geralt No, I applied to the advanced standing stream. the information they provided for the non admission was word for word: "the program is very competitive and a limited number of qualified applicants are admitted each year." 

I thought that my stats and supplemental questions would have made me a competitive applicant but I guess not. I am hoping to maybe contact the school to see if I can receive anymore feedback about my application specifically. 

Oh wow, I applied to the advanced standing wp too but submitted my application first week of November and still no word. They reached out about my stats course but that's not required for admission so not sure what is happening with my app

38 minutes ago, madamemsw2022 said:

The nature of these programs is you could be a competitive applicant in one round and not in another without changing anything other than the others who apply. It's so hard not to be discouraged. Have you applied for other programs? 

A lot of current social workers have been stressed to the max during the pandemic and took the last two years to think about their careers. We are likely seeing people apply who hadn't otherwise considered it but were newly motivated.

I'm so sorry and good luck! 

I was accepted to WLU so I'm happy to help anyone or look at applications. 

8 hours ago, madamemsw2022 said:

Hi, did you apply to any other schools ? let's wait , hopefully to hear some good news from the others

17 hours ago, cookie_c07 said:

I had applied to the windsor msw non-bsw programme and did not get accepted so im off to the UK xD 

The application closed on Friday for the non-BSW and you already heard back that you weren't accepted? Is this normal? When did you hear back, if you don't mind me asking? I also applied but unsure when I'll be hearing back. 

I just submitted my application for the Sept non-BSW MSWwp program. I was waitlisted for the Jan 2022 start and have since started a new job, so hopefully that will help my chances?

Last time they took almost 4 months to let me know I was waitlisted so hopefully it's faster this time too! 

For WLU, do people apply for the next cohort while waiting for the results of their current admissions? I applied for the Fall 2022 entry for non-BSW and I will not hear back from them until May. But the admissions for Winter 2023 starts on March 1st? But I am also worried that it will look bad like I am not confident in getting in and that's why I have to apply again before the results of the Fall entry comes out. Thanks!

On 1/21/2022 at 6:28 AM, priawet said:

The application closed on Friday for the non-BSW and you already heard back that you weren't accepted? Is this normal? When did you hear back, if you don't mind me asking? I also applied but unsure when I'll be hearing back. 

They have rolling admissions. I applied on November 23 and i heard back 19 January

after contacting the MSWWP program regarding feedback about my application specifically, they offered the following: 

The top reasons applicants are not admitted include: 

• Grade point average does not meet the requirement 
  • Personal statement was not strong
  • Work experience was less than required or not related to the field 
  • References chosen were unable to speak to applicant’s potential for leadership in Social Work 

I am honestly hoping to get into kings or Laurier at this point, as I have only applied to the 3 programs. 

Edited by madamemsw2022