MSW 2022 CANADA APPLICATION FORUM

4 minutes ago, BingBongBingBong said:

What would you say you changed between your first time applying and getting waitlisted to this year applying and getting accepted?

I gained A LOT more experience, I had an additional 3000 hours compared to when I applied last year (basically double). I am honestly shocked I got in after how tough last year was. I don't have super competitive grades either. My overall GPA was around 78/79% and in my last two years I had around an 88%. Feel free to msg me if you'd like to talk a bit more :)

16 minutes ago, BingBongBingBong said:

What would you say you changed between your first time applying and getting waitlisted to this year applying and getting accepted?

One thing I would also say, is to pour your all into the personal statement and make sure you're references are really good. I do think the writing style is super important as well. that was one tip about uoft i recieved from this site. Feel free to message as well. This was my first time applying.

Edited by HopeisthewaytoCope

24 minutes ago, Bitter-Sweet said:

I gained A LOT more experience, I had an additional 3000 hours compared to when I applied last year (basically double). I am honestly shocked I got in after how tough last year was. I don't have super competitive grades either. My overall GPA was around 78/79% and in my last two years I had around an 88%. Feel free to msg me if you'd like to talk a bit more :)

Damn well done. Was that 3000 hour increase through full time work, volunteering, or both? Im already planning out how I can beef up my application for the third attempt. Looking at different volunteer opportunities and FT work. 

19 minutes ago, HopeisthewaytoCope said:

One thing I would also say, is to pour your all into the personal statement and make sure you're references are really good. I do think the writing style is super important as well. that was one tip about uoft i recieved from this site. Feel free to message as well. This was my first time applying.

Well done getting on the first try. Looks like I'm going on my third attempt after this round. What was your experience/CV like? 

To be fair to myself, I straight up thought I was going to be rejected last year so getting waitlisted was a shock. I guess I just have to fine tune the third application to the T. 

2 minutes ago, BingBongBingBong said:

Damn well done. Was that 3000 hour increase through full time work, volunteering, or both? Im already planning out how I can beef up my application for the third attempt. Looking at different volunteer opportunities and FT work. 

Well done getting on the first try. Looks like I'm going on my third attempt after this round. What was your experience/CV like? 

To be fair to myself, I straight up thought I was going to be rejected last year so getting waitlisted was a shock. I guess I just have to fine tune the third application to the T. 

3000 hours from full time work, which was in the hospital/public health sector and also volunteering for an NPO and Crisis Line. Since I was waitlisted last time, it did give me a bit of hope that I was halfway to getting accepted and just needed to change a few things. For my personal statement, I spoke a lot less about my own experiences this time around, and spoke more about what I learned since my last application. I also had my friend look over it (english major) for editing :)

On 3/29/2022 at 2:32 AM, jam22 said:

Has anyone heard from UBC-O today?

Also still waiting. It's excruciating.

Not sure if what I did was okay, but I accepted another offer first (for now, because they have a deadline) as I'm so scared I'd get rejected...

54 minutes ago, Melibera said:

Not sure if what I did was okay, but I accepted another offer first (for now, because they have a deadline) as I'm so scared I'd get rejected...

It's okay. A lot of people will accept one offer first while still waiting for others. You can later reject the offer you accepted before if you hear good news from any other school.? The only thing is you may have to pay the deposit to keep a spot for that school. Hope that helps.

On 3/19/2022 at 12:03 AM, Waiting4AdmissionDecisions said:

Hey! I'm in my first year at UofT. My tuition (including all fees) was $11,189.99. Incidental fees were slightly higher this year than last - the actual program fee was the exact same as the one you found for 2020/21 (9,420). If you're applying to the two year program you have the option to take courses in the summer following your first year at no additional cost if you want. I'm not exactly sure if what you mean by first two semesters is fall/winter? Fees for next year wouldn't be out yet.

this is for domestic students yes?

2 hours ago, Melibera said:

Still waiting to hear back from UBCV -- They still haven't updated the portal with my GRE and IELTS scores... I'm wondering was my application even considered lol -- what if the department didn't check my official scores or something. 

just over thinking these days and nothing else. 

22 minutes ago, hogsmeador said:

Still waiting to hear back from UBCV -- They still haven't updated the portal with my GRE and IELTS scores... I'm wondering was my application even considered lol -- what if the department didn't check my official scores or something. 

just over thinking these days and nothing else. 

OMG. Where do I check in the portal if they have updated scores?

1 minute ago, Unicornfrrf said:

For people that are getting waitlisted, are you guys domestic or international? Literally nothing changed in my account. I am a nervous wreck rn?

Did you click on your application? when i first log in it says submitted but when I clicked on it and opened it it said status update and then the letter was enclosed that I was put on the waitlist.

5 minutes ago, Unicornfrrf said:

For people that are getting waitlisted, are you guys domestic or international? Literally nothing changed in my account. I am a nervous wreck rn?

I am domestic. Try going into sgs as if you were going to upload a document. It should say near the top that your status has changed 

6 minutes ago, Unicornfrrf said:

Same here. I believe then that’s a wrap for me lol. REJECTION on my way! ?

6 minutes ago, confusedsamosa said:

Waitlisted for UofT. Domestic Applicant & first-time applicant.

Does anyone know when Laurier will be sending out responses? sweating profusely over here :') 

Laurier has started sending them out over the weekend!

Just now, confusedsamosa said:

Oh man, I haven't heard anything yet :( This is for the two-year MSW? I'll keep my fingers crossed still. 

Sorry, that was for the advanced standing!