MSW 2022 CANADA APPLICATION FORUM

On 5/11/2022 at 11:32 AM, Pastalini said:

Hi everyone, has anyone been accepted off a wait list (AS full time) from UofT, York, or Laurier yet? Thanks!

Still waiting to hear back from Lauriers advanced standing full-time waitlist :(

I got off the UofT's 2-year MSW program(mental health stream) waitlist. But due to financial constraints of my family, I declined the offer(which is really hard for me). So there will be a sapce for other people now, finger crossed for those who are still waiting!

13 hours ago, Fingerstoesandeyescrossed said:

Is anyone still waiting to hear back from Laurier advanced standing part time online MSW? Everyone I know or see has been either declined or waitlisted. I haven’t received any response at all yet. Just wondering if anyone is in the same boat. Thanks all! 

This is me, however I am 99% certain that if I do gain admission that I will be declining it as I have already made extensive arrangements to attend Ryerson for their one year advanced standing program this fall. 

edit to add: its really a shame that Laurier has taken so long to get back to people, I might have made a different decision.

Edited by PeanutbutterClouds

2 hours ago, CaseyMSW said:

I got off the UofT's 2-year MSW program(mental health stream) waitlist. But due to financial constraints of my family, I declined the offer(which is really hard for me). So there will be a sapce for other people now, finger crossed for those who are still waiting!

Casey, my heart goes out to you. I can only imagine how difficult the decision to decline was during this season's circumstances. May you find peace around the decision and see opportunities that life unfolds for you from here on out.

Also, biggest congratulations on your hard work being officially recognized by UofT ?

3 hours ago, CaseyMSW said:

Do you consider to deferral your admission to next year? If you think your financial situation can be improved after a year, it is understandable that you ask for deferral. The admission process is super competitive and it is sad to know you need to decline the offer because of financial constraints. 

1 minute ago, kksmsw said:

Do you consider to deferral your admission to next year? If you think your financial situation can be improved after a year, it is understandable that you ask for deferral. The admission process is super competitive and it is sad to know you need to decline the offer because of financial constraints. 

Sadly no, even if my family can find a way out next year, the circumstance in China won't allow me to. The government is tightening policies for people who want to go out. So I'm kind of escaping from my homeland. I accepted the offer from UofManitoba, which also offers me an entrance scholarship. And the living cost in Winnipeg is lower too. It's upsetting that I have to decline UofT but tbh for an international applicant like me, the offer is more like a gift. I feel more confident that I have some qualities leading to me becoming a social worker in the future.

12 minutes ago, CaseyMSW said:

Sadly no, even if my family can find a way out next year, the circumstance in China won't allow me to. The government is tightening policies for people who want to go out. So I'm kind of escaping from my homeland. I accepted the offer from UofManitoba, which also offers me an entrance scholarship. And the living cost in Winnipeg is lower too. It's upsetting that I have to decline UofT but tbh for an international applicant like me, the offer is more like a gift. I feel more confident that I have some qualities leading to me becoming a social worker in the future.

sending you my support from Hong Kong?

2 hours ago, CaseyMSW said:

I totally understand your situation. Glad that you can still study MSW at Uof Manitoba! Wish you all the best in your upcoming social work study.  

5 hours ago, PeanutbutterClouds said:

This is me, however I am 99% certain that if I do gain admission that I will be declining it as I have already made extensive arrangements to attend Ryerson for their one year advanced standing program this fall. 

edit to add: its really a shame that Laurier has taken so long to get back to people, I might have made a different decision.

I am in the same situation and had a minor panic yesterday that maybe I didn't even submit the application! I find LORIS so confusing because your documents just sit there saying "no further application required" but nothing showing it was submitted or even a status section. I agree, it is very frustrating that Laurier waits so long and I imagine other schools must get upset as well if a bunch of people start declining offers they had accepted once Laurier releases their decision. I, too, have put a lot of work into accepting and arranging courses for UBC so don't think I will be accepting Laurier even if I do get in. I am still curious why it is seen as such a highly regarded school and so popular with applicants. The draw for me was initially an online program and there aren't too many options out there. Good luck to everyone waiting for an initial decision or a decision about the waitlist!

21 hours ago, Fingerstoesandeyescrossed said:

Is anyone still waiting to hear back from Laurier advanced standing part time online MSW? Everyone I know or see has been either declined or waitlisted. I haven’t received any response at all yet. Just wondering if anyone is in the same boat. Thanks all! 

I’m in the same boat but for Laurier’s regular part time online MSW! 

9 hours ago, kksmsw said:

I totally understand your situation. Glad that you can still study MSW at Uof Manitoba! Wish you all the best in your upcoming social work study.  

Just saw you post and I'm so happy for you! Hope your new journey is going great! My friend once saw a sentence on a pic of the Berlin Wall, it says "Escape is almighty method to destabilize dominionand". I really want you know that when I said I am happy you got this, I meant it. Wish you every good fortune, my friend.

On 5/18/2022 at 9:41 AM, CaseyMSW said:

much love

21 hours ago, MSW2022MM said:

I am in the same situation and had a minor panic yesterday that maybe I didn't even submit the application! I find LORIS so confusing because your documents just sit there saying "no further application required" but nothing showing it was submitted or even a status section. I agree, it is very frustrating that Laurier waits so long and I imagine other schools must get upset as well if a bunch of people start declining offers they had accepted once Laurier releases their decision. I, too, have put a lot of work into accepting and arranging courses for UBC so don't think I will be accepting Laurier even if I do get in. I am still curious why it is seen as such a highly regarded school and so popular with applicants. The draw for me was initially an online program and there aren't too many options out there. Good luck to everyone waiting for an initial decision or a decision about the waitlist!

I have not had any response and was thinking perhaps I submitted to LORIS incorrectly also. I'm wondering is anyone receiving actual mail to indicate their admittance into programs, or are all schools emailing?

1 hour ago, lisaollie said:

I have not had any response and was thinking perhaps I submitted to LORIS incorrectly also. I'm wondering is anyone receiving actual mail to indicate their admittance into programs, or are all schools emailing?

My classmate got into the 2022 May start (so she’s currently in the program) and got her acceptance by email 

I feel like I'm kind of mind blown that it's May 19th and I still haven't heard anything back from Laurier. It doesn't really leave people with the ability to make alternate arragements if they aren't accepted.. ya know?

Sorry, just annoyed and venting lol.