2022 Computational Biology/Bioinformatics/Systems Biology PhD Admissions

fred2000

25 minutes ago, justfiguringitout said:

Is anyone else sad about not having gotten any interviews? Just soft rejections :(

You are not alone. 9 of my 10 applications remain silent and I do know somebody else with an empty inbox for now. It's not time to give up now, for no clear rejections have been received. (I know people applying for Molecular and Cell Biology who has already received multiple Rs.) 

All we can do now is to wait anyway.

1 hour ago, justfiguringitout said:

Is anyone else sad about not having gotten any interviews? Just soft rejections :(

Just be a little more patient. By mid January the picture should be more clear. 

1 hour ago, justfiguringitout said:

I don't think you should give up yet. I don't exactly know how many and what programs you applied to. But a lot of programs have not started inviting candidates for interviews or may keep sending out invites after Christmas. Just be patient and wait for a few more weeks. 

On 12/24/2021 at 11:37 PM, meshy said:

Does anyone know if Harvard BIG will send out more invites? Do they send invites out for Americans and internationals separately?

Have they sent any out yet? I saw that SSQBIO had sent out interviews but hadn’t seen anything about BIG

23 hours ago, justfiguringitout said:

Out of the 12 programs I applied to, 8 have already sent out invites and I didn't get anything so only 4 chances left, so I am beginning to doubt that this cycle is going to work out. 

Don't give up yet! There are multiple rounds of interview mails. If you haven't received a rejection letter then there's still chances :)

2 hours ago, please_admit_me said:

so basically the first two weeks after the winter break is crucial for 2nd batch of interviews and if we don't get it we go cucu for coco pahst?

Hi. Would you mind explaining the common winter break schedule in US? I am international and obviously we do not take breaks like the states.

Good luck for the second batch!

2 hours ago, DignoMor said:

Hi. Would you mind explaining the common winter break schedule in US? I am international and obviously we do not take breaks like the states.

Good luck for the second batch!

it varies, but basically the break is until 1.3rd or so. Some schools send most of their interviews before the break, some send it right afterwards (within 1 or 2 weeks). So I think as far as interviews goes, most schools will send them by the midst of January. I made all this up from intuition. don't listen to me.

As of 1/5:
Applications out: MIT EECS, Stanford BMI, UCSF BMI, Penn GCB, Harvard SSQB, Tri-I CBM, UCLA Genetics and Genomics Track, MSSM Biomed Sci, and Emory PBEE

Interview Invites Received: UCLA (12/10), UCSF (12/12), Stanford (12/16), Penn (12/21), Emory (12/22), and MSSM (1/4)

From what I've gathered, it seems like I'm probably out on Harvard and Tri-I. MIT (app deadline was 12/15 and it's a huge program, so they may not interview everyone they want to admit. EECS dept calendar has "Grad Admissions Round Up" scheduled for 1/18-1/24).

7 hours ago, tokyoboy101 said:

Has anybody heard from NYU Vilcek who also applied to their Systems and Computational Biomedicine program? I see some scattered interview invites on grad cafe throughout the last couple weeks but I haven't heard anything myself.

I got an interview invite from NYU Vilcek before Christmas.