Do not contact your school because you are antsy

Red Bull

There are so many students on here trying to decide whether or not they should contact their program seeking additional admissions information. I am of the opinion that you should not bother the admin staff of the program you are interested in. Your decision will come via phone/email/snail mail. Just wait! Nothing good will come of you calling the department. Just sit tight and wait like everyone else. Part of the process of becoming a graduate student is learning patience and perseverance. Every single one of the pre-graduate students on this board are going crazy waiting for the admissions decisions to come in. Take a walk, watch a movie, get a puppy- whatever you need to calm yourself down. Also, put yourself in the place of the admin professionals who have to answer the phones at the department you are interested in- they don't know enough to satisfy you, and they certainly don't know whether you will get in the program. KEEP CALM AND CARRY ON!

10 days ago I sent e-mails to the schools I appliy for:

Hello!

I'm an applicant for ***'s PhD program in ***, but I haven't received an answer yet. Am I still being considered for admission? When can I expect to hear back?Thank you in advance!

Sincerely yours, ***

I didn't receive any answers to my inquiries.

Most people told me that such e-mails don't harm the chances for acceptance and in the worst scenario the admins will just ignore you. The idea was to receive my rejection letter sooner, if the decision has been already made. However, now I'm even more worried... Can somebody comment the situation objectively, please? I can manage with bad news, but the state of not knowing anything is much worse...

Greetings!

Edited by logaritym

There are so many students on here trying to decide whether or not they should contact their program seeking additional admissions information. I am of the opinion that you should not bother the admin staff of the program you are interested in. Your decision will come via phone/email/snail mail. Just wait! Nothing good will come of you calling the department. Just sit tight and wait like everyone else. Part of the process of becoming a graduate student is learning patience and perseverance. Every single one of the pre-graduate students on this board are going crazy waiting for the admissions decisions to come in. Take a walk, watch a movie, get a puppy- whatever you need to calm yourself down. Also, put yourself in the place of the admin professionals who have to answer the phones at the department you are interested in- they don't know enough to satisfy you, and they certainly don't know whether you will get in the program. KEEP CALM AND CARRY ON!

yes,u are correct,despite anthing that might happen life goes on.

1. I'm not so sure this is true. Some people posted here that they only found out they're on a waiting list because they called and asked. Sure, if you're waitlisted you'll get an answer at some point, but it might help getting this info sooner.

2. That being said, of course you won't get an acceptance/rejection sooner just because you asked.

3. So quit obsessing with it and go finish the last 3 pages of your MA thesis! [that was meant for myself more than anyone else...]

I myself am wondering whether I should contact the schools. I want to know asap if I'm on a waiting list, cause that means I don't have much chances of getting in and knowing that will help a LOT with moving forward with my plan B.

Your "get a puppy" line made me laugh! :lol: I refuse to email my department to find out what's going on. I met with my POI in September, he helped me perfect my personal statement, and reviewed everything before I applied, and showed a lot of interest. I've checked the results page on here religiously, and it appears no one from that division has heard anything. So I just try to stay busy, and of course have the occasional worry session. :unsure:

I generally agree with the value of patience, but if a program is sitting on your application for much longer than they said they would, I think a polite email inquiry is fine. It's important to word it, of course, so that you do not sound impatient or short.

I absolutely agree with this statement. If it has been an adequate amount of time since they had promised decisions, I think it's okay to send a short, polite email for a status update.

I also disagree with the idea that we should adopt puppies instead of taking proactive action regarding our applications. Clearly if you've been informed that a decision will not be reached until a certain date then it is unreasonable to call before that time. But past that, I don't think that inquiring about your application is at all unreasonable, particularly if you've paid application fees. Admissions committees receive numerous calls from anxious and annoying students and I'm sure they aren't waiting by the phone hoping for more applicants to bug them, but in my experience, I have only had considerable success in contacting schools - not only have staff members been extremely polite and helpful, but each time I have obtained information that I wouldn't have otherwise had.

I think that as long as you practice extremely polite email and telephone etiquette and that you don't make unreasonable demands, there isn't anything wrong with contacting admissions departments regarding your application. Don't presume that such inquiries will never be successful, because given what can be seen on the results board and the number of unofficial acceptances that have allowed people the opportunity to start planning their lives accordingly, that presumption clearly isn't always valid.

I advocate that people should be reasonable about their inquiries, but that no one should ever sit back and wait around for things to happen when they don't have to.

Having worked in an admission office myself, I mostly agree with the OP. smile.gif

However, I think it is totally ok to contact the school under one of the following conditions:

1. There is an important school deadline coming up within a week, and you won't know whether this deadline applies to you until they send your decision. For example, one of my schools requested a FAFSA from incoming students by March 1. On February 28, when I still hadn't heard anything, I sent a polite email to the coordinator and asked them to confirm that "all admitted students have already been contacted." No harm done, and they didn't even have to look up my name.

2. It's the first week of April, and you haven't heard a damn thing from a school (obviously, this only applies to CGS schools). It's possible there was a miscommunication. On the other hand, some schools are notorious for sending out ridiculously late responses, and I think we applicants have every right to call them out on it.

Yah, I'm in the good-bad position of having an acceptance offer from my second choice university (thought it's still a fantastic program) which has a deadline of March 18 for my decision. I'm really trying not to e-mail my first choice to ask if anything is going to come before then, but since the deadline is only a week away I feel like I'm going to have to do so.

If I'm not going to hear back for a couple of weeks from my first choice then I might be forced to accept my second. I'd really like to know, as I don't like the idea of making someone wait on a wait-list any longer than they have too.

I'm giving it until Friday afternoon and then I'm going to send a polite question. I mean, they should be aware of this, as it's a pretty specialized program (Science and Technology Studies / History and Philosophy of Science) which really has only two major Canadian universities which are both in Toronto. They have to be expecting this, right?

I don't see a problem contacting the school if there is not a mechanism in place for them to communicate with you -- applyyourself.com for instance. Most programs have some sort of online system, but some don't. I check the online systems daily (some times MANY times a day *embarrassed*). However, two of the programs I applied to do not have any online system to check status. I emailed the PhD coordinators at those programs just for an update. One was very quick to reply and said they would be sending out interview invites "soon". She actually used to quote marks! She also invited me to email her back if I didn't hear anything in a couple of weeks. The other school didn't respond at all.

Long story longer - if they have an online status check don't bug 'em. Sit tight and an answer will be forthcoming. If they don't, a friendly and EXTREMELY brief email requesting an update is not out of line.

Clearly arguments can be made for both calling and sitting patiently. Although I err to the side of the OP, maybe people should judge for themselves as circumstances vary. And if there are any consequences for action or inaction (which I doubt), then so be it. One thing I have read about making contact is that it's wiser to call rather than email, simply because of the many ways an email can be taken out of context. The second post, for example, "Am I still being considered for admission?" could easily be interpreted by some admin who hasn't had their morning coffee yet as "Are you guys actually doing your job or what?"

It's a sucky process for all, and frankly I've found the wait to be somewhat paralyzing. But patience and tolerance are both traits that I personally respect, and I'm using this experience as an opportunity to practice them to their fullest. Hang in there everybody, it's almost over!

I also disagree with the idea that we should adopt puppies instead of taking proactive action regarding our applications.

I agree. My puppy kept me awake until 4AM because she was scared of the rain, so only adopt a puppy if you really want to be licked, jumped on, and regularly chewed, if you are prepared to provide cuddles on demand, to clean up excrement, and to arrange your grad school schedule around a dependent creature who can't talk. In return, you will be treated like a hero by someone who thinks you are the center of the universe and doesn't care a wit about your research progress.

But don't adopt a puppy just to pass the time until you hear from grad schools. Adopt a puppy (preferably from a rescue or humane society) because you want someone to love and to be loved for the next 10-18 years: I hope mine are still here when I receive tenure. That's a commitment!

I agree. My puppy kept me awake until 4AM because she was scared of the rain, so only adopt a puppy if you really want to be licked, jumped on, and regularly chewed, if you are prepared to provide cuddles on demand, to clean up excrement, and to arrange your grad school schedule around a dependent creature who can't talk. In return, you will be treated like a hero by someone who thinks you are the center of the universe and doesn't care a wit about your research progress.

But don't adopt a puppy just to pass the time until you hear from grad schools. Adopt a puppy (preferably from a rescue or humane society) because you want someone to love and to be loved for the next 10-18 years: I hope mine are still here when I receive tenure. That's a commitment!

amen!

While I was being ironic in my original post thanks for the clarification for others. I have 3 cats and a dog (all rescues) and they are a lot of work! Sometimes I wish I didn't have animals because I could stay at the library until all hours and travel much more conveniently. But then again, coming home to an empty apartment with nothing to greet me but the television set would be very depressing.

Now I am terribly concerned I've hurt my chances at admission by emailing to inquire about my status. Is it likely they could change their minds about me due to this action? Blerg.

In a word: no smile.gif From my personal experience (I worked in an undergrad admissions office), I can think of maybe one time in three years when an applicant annoyed a coordinator enough that the coordinator felt the need to tell the admissions committee about them. Obviously grad school admission is a different ballgame, but I really doubt you did any actual damage. They all know we're stressed out about everything.

It's really more that all those calls and emails come at a time of year when the coordinators are already very busy. Responding to crazy applicants is probably not their first priority, so they get a backlog of calls and emails that they may or may not be able to respond to before the official notifications come out anyway.

Just read this as I was about to pick up the phone to call my first choice. Definitely going nuts over here. They sent an email at the beginning of Feb saying that all decisions should be made by Feb 25th and not to contact them unless we hadn't heard by the end of the month. Well, it's Mar 10th and nothing. I emailed 2 days ago briefly saying that I hadn't heard, understood that they are swamped and just wanted to make sure I hadn't missed any emails/letters. No response.

I am trying to be patient and know I probably shouldn't call but the kicker really is that on the results page I've seen acceptances, rejections, AND waitlist notices for their program while I have gotten none of the above. Any advice?

I am trying to be patient and know I probably shouldn't call but the kicker really is that on the results page I've seen acceptances, rejections, AND waitlist notices for their program while I have gotten none of the above. Any advice?

I'm in the same boat at two programs, but I'm opting to simply let them figure it out in their own time.

Just read this as I was about to pick up the phone to call my first choice. Definitely going nuts over here. They sent an email at the beginning of Feb saying that all decisions should be made by Feb 25th and not to contact them unless we hadn't heard by the end of the month. Well, it's Mar 10th and nothing. I emailed 2 days ago briefly saying that I hadn't heard, understood that they are swamped and just wanted to make sure I hadn't missed any emails/letters. No response.

I don't mean to be an enabler here if you're not sure of what you want to do, but personally, "don't contact them unless you haven't heard by the end of the month", and it's the next month already, that's (in my mind) practically an invitation to contact them. But that's just me!

Actually, I think that not contacting your program by yourself, especially in the case when supposed deadline for decision has passed, is just dangerous. Imagine, what if you app was somehow missed or handled incorrectly in the process? And that's why you haven't heard still while all others had... Taking up action early can save the situation.

I love that you started this thread. I think what the world needs now is patience, sweet patience :)

Actually, I think that not contacting your program by yourself, especially in the case when supposed deadline for decision has passed, is just dangerous. Imagine, what if you app was somehow missed or handled incorrectly in the process? And that's why you haven't heard still while all others had... Taking up action early can save the situation.

I disagree...it seems to me that if the deadline for decision has passed, then they've made their decisions. If it turns out that they somehow missed your application, I doubt there's much they can/will do about it now. I could be wrong about this, but I mean, what can they do? If they've already extended offers, they're not going to rescind one so they can give it to someone whose app they misplaced.

so let's be practical:

Program website says: "Applications are reviewed on a rolling basis with offers going out through February and March. If necessary some offers may go out in April."

Results board: Only one post, acceptance to the MA stream of the program, posted two weeks ago. I applied for PhD.

To contact or not to contact - that is the question

+ I got an email from their student housing, saying they have an available apartment. I'm going to have to give it up just because I don't know if I'm in or not! Frustrating.

To contact or not to contact - that is the question

+ I got an email from their student housing, saying they have an available apartment. I'm going to have to give it up just because I don't know if I'm in or not! Frustrating.

Ugh! I know how frustrating that is. That happened to me two years ago, and I ended up securing my apartment two weeks before school started. Keeping my fingers crossed for you, ForeignGuy!