Getting off the Waitlist

jmacnomad

So I got waitlisted today in an email containing only one short sentence. I have perused this thread and seen many people talking about sending in transcripts, updating POI's on their research, etc. I don't know where I sit on the waitlist, how it works, or anything of the sort. My question is- do I respond and ask for this info from my POI? Do I update him? Should I contact the department? And finally, how am I going to go another month plus playing the waiting game?!

To add a story, I emailed a grad student I'd met from the program I attended interviews at (and was then subsequently waitlisted at) to thank her and get clarification on how the school does admits. She said that there are usually two rounds of admissions: the first candidates (contacted directly after interviews) and the second round (after they see who has accepted/rejected them). She said that she got off the waitlist late March the year she applied, so it does happen.

My program ranks their candidates and I was ranked 3rd, which was great. Unfortunately they only had 2 spots, so admission was offered to the 2 people ahead of me. One of those people already accepted. So if that second person declines, I'm in. I just wish they would make up their mind soon so that I can move on -__-

Does anyone know if programs pull people off the waitlist as spots become available, before April 15? Or do most programs dust off the waitlist pile no sooner than the 15th? I would hate to commit to my one acceptance only to back out if I get in to one of my waitlist schools. Not to mention I have to pay them if I accept so they can do a background check on me...

Thanks!

Is it possible to be rejected from the Waitlist before they fill all the spots?? I was hinted that I'd know my official admissions decision but I'm so scorned from past rejections that I'm scared it's gonna be a no :( . lol

I've been waitlisted at my top choice school. It only accepts two student with a very generous stipend. I was 2nd on the waitlist and just moved up to 1st this past week. One student declined, presumably moving to other choice. But is is it likely for another to decline an offer.

I'm so close. It's driving me crazy. Staying positive though!

Waitlisted at Harvard GSD and Upenn, my top 2 choices. Any idea about their acceptance rate from waiting list? freaking me out for the last few weeks. Again does that mean that i will not get any funding even if I get in? GSD gave me no information about their waiting list, just mentioned that they will notify at their best, and Upenn mentioned, they have no ranking in the waiting list. 

I was not given any indication about my status on the wait-list, only that it is a "short list" and that any offers extended to those on it were dependent on offers declined by their first choice candidates.  It did not seem very encouraging, nor was there any mention that I was "high" on this list or had any elevated chances compared to the others.

This notification was also given to me only after I inquired about the status of my application.

To be very honest, it doesn't sound very hopeful to me.  I assume that if I were a priority waitlister, they would have at least hinted at a ranking or encouraged me to stick around.

Edited by floatingmolecule

I was not given any indication about my status on the wait-list, only that it is a "short list" and that any offers extended to those on it were dependent on offers declined by their first choice candidates.  It did not seem very encouraging, nor was there any mention that I was "high" on this list or had any elevated chances compared to the others.

This notification was also given to me only after I inquired about the status of my application.

To be very honest, it doesn't sound very hopeful to me.  I assume that if I were a priority waitlister, they would have at least hinted at a ranking or encouraged me to stick around.

I wouldn't read too much into the tone of the notification, they seem to vary wildly between institutions and administrators without any substantive difference in content. I have been urged to be patient and hold on for a while longer but I also know that I am not at the top of the waiting list (for a programme that few people are likely to turn down), so if anything, the positive tone of the message is misleading!

I would try not to overanalyze it.  Their response could be generic, one they send to anyone who asks about that topic, or maybe the writer was just in a blah mood when they hit reply.  I wouldn't take it as an indicator of anything.  The school I am waitlisted at outright told us they do not rank people on the waitlist and will not give any info regarding waitlist size, etc.

Thanks guys. You are probably right that the generic tone of the email means very little. But while I am usually all about hope - when it comes to waitlists I am very skeptical. The fact that I have been on this list for months doesn't add any hope to the equation. Surely there must have been some movement by now, at the very least amongst the offers sent out. Since it is so late, I speculate that they are either close to filling their yield and don't need the waitlist or they have already been accepting people off the list, but I am just not highly ranked or suitable enough to be considered.

I realize there is still a sliver of minute hope, but most examples of waitlist acceptance I've observed happened relatively quickly, within a few days or weeks.

Am I wrong and is there a final wave towards the end? Does it commonly occur that waitlisters get offers this close to the deadline?

Edited by floatingmolecule

So I have an acceptance now from a school I'd go to before the one that I'm waitlisted at. Should I have myself removed from the list or just leave it?

I would let the 2nd place school know as soon as possible that you won't be attending. There's still time for them to send out an acceptance to someone on their Waitlist. That being said, make sure you're confident in your decision.

So I have an acceptance now from a school I'd go to before the one that I'm waitlisted at. Should I have myself removed from the list or just leave it?

I second MidwesternAloha's advice: if you are sure you wouldn't accept an offer from the university who's waitlisted you, removing yourself from the list could save a day or two of emails back and forth should that space come up, giving the next person down the list valuable extra time to make a decision. Worst case scenario, you wouldn't have been offered a place anyway and you've wasted five minutes writing an email.

Hello everyone!

I'm in a good position having been accepted to somewhere I'd quite like to go, but also waitlisted at a couple of schools that I would consider. April 15th is approaching and I'm pondering how close to the deadline I should go before accepting my current offer. I don't want to muck them around, but there's also the fact they'll match other financial offers which perhaps incentivizes me to wait. 

Good luck to all of you and even more so if you're not in somewhere yet!

Hello everyone!

I'm in a good position having been accepted to somewhere I'd quite like to go, but also waitlisted at a couple of schools that I would consider. April 15th is approaching and I'm pondering how close to the deadline I should go before accepting my current offer. I don't want to muck them around, but there's also the fact they'll match other financial offers which perhaps incentivizes me to wait. 

Good luck to all of you and even more so if you're not in somewhere yet!

I'm in a similar situation.  I would wait as long as you can, especially if they will match funds.  You might consider telling your current acceptance that you are waiting on final decisions.  I contacted my program for clarification, and they told me I technically have until 11:59 on April 15th to accept and still be within the deadline.  However, they gave me a couple of days beyond the deadline to make my decision in the event an offer comes in at the last minute.  It relieves a tiny bit of stress to have those extra days.  :)  Hope you hear some definite answers soon!  Congratulations as well!

Got accepted off the waitlist yesterday... although I already got accepted by my top choice but just letting people know its possible... 4/8/15 at 10am in the morning is when I got the email. I'm assuming someone else off the waitlist will get the acceptance I will now reject. 

After receiving rejections and only one waitlist my chances were very slim. But out of the blue yesterday I got accepted off the wait list. I am still in total shock never expected this. Miracles can happen. Hang in there guys I am rooting for all you also on wait lists. :)

I FINALLY got accepted off of the waitlist yesterday, W00t!  (Been there since mid-January.)  Congrats to everyone else that has made it, and hang in there to those who have not yet heard back.  There is still hope folks! :)

This thread is giving me hope.  I called on Wednesday to find out I'm on a short list and that my acceptance would be contingent on others declining.  I saw that two people have posted rejections today, yet my decision is still pending.  Glimmer of hope?  Fortunately, I was told I would definitely know by the April 15 deadline.  

I am waitlisted in one program. I was notified yesterday that the admission had not yet completed and was asked my current status by the professor. She also said that the final decision will be made by 14th. For those lucky guys who have got off the waiting list, how should I interpret this email? Should I still expect the possibility of getting a rejection letter in the end?

Edited by Sing