MFA 2012 All Art ADMISSIONS freak-out forum!!!!!!!!

ellsworthy

Just got an interview from NYU via email!

Awesome! That seems like a terrific program, and continuing to live in that city doing more art is an added super bonus....hope you snag it for sure.

!!!! congrats - anyone else?

Tyson2, that's awesome! Congratulations! You applied to photo, yeah? Now starts the wait for those of us who applied to different programs . . .

congratulations!

Thanks everyone! Yes, I did apply for photography and I know that they get far less applications for photo than other concentrations so there might be a little more time before everyone else finds out.

Good luck to everyone!

Awesome! That seems like a terrific program, and continuing to live in that city doing more art is an added super bonus....hope you snag it for sure.

Thanks, I appreciate it. Yes, I was really hoping to stay in NY which is why I didn't apply to too many schools out of the area.

Although I have to admit your description of the University of Chicago had me wishing I had considered moving to Chi-town. Meeting William Pope.L must have been awesome!

I mean there is no "different departments" at NYU's MFA Studio Art program - they accept 10 people each year for their very interdisciplinary program

Ahh, you're right - too many programs to keep track of. Well, congratulations to Tyson2 again and here's hoping for the rest of us!

TheZane,

I'd be a little wary of this. My visit to SAIC showed me that they are more about marketing opportunites and making cash than developing you as an artist. This program is similar to Post Bacc, but the credits may be hard to transfer, and make sure that they offer you scholarship opportunites for it. I would hold out for an MFA program if that's what you're looking for. That being said, SAIC does have some amazing facilities and not a lot of structure, so you could potentially have some great opportunities!

Good luck with whatever you choose!!!

Yeah this would be a last resort assuming the rest of my applications are rejected. I already have a degree so I can only assume they are trying to polish my work or that they think my education at Allegheny College wasn't oriented towards painting or studio classes enough. My focus in school was always photography and technology. It has only been the last three years out of school that I have dedicated myself to painting. I view them as similar processes with respect to compositional destination and whatnot but I am not sure what some school's perspective on that is. I'll know more when I call them.

Thanks for the information. I have felt similar vibes from them as well.

FYI, I was checking the online status of some of my apps today, and my Tyler says "Application Status: Decision Made" and "Decision: Applicant Denied." It didn't say this about two weeks ago. I was expecting it since I wasn't notified when others on this board were.

For those who have made it, go forth and conquer! B)

How did you check that online at Tyler? I went onto the Temple Banner application and it just said "Application Complete/In Process." Is that the site you found it on?

Sorry to hear you didn't get in! I am suspecting the same as I am not sure I fit well with the aesthetics of the program.

Finally got some mail.

SAIC did not approved me for admission to the MFA Painting and Drawing Program, but offered me admission into their BFA program as a Prior Degree Student.

Not sure what this means with regard to how many years they are talking about. It sounds a lot like a tune up year for my portfolio. They act like I will be free to explore the classes necessary for polishing my existing work for graduate admission. I'll be giving them a call the see what this is all about. Merit scholarships are available for consideration as well if I tell them I am interested by March 15th.

This is exciting.

I got the same treatment from SAIC at portfolio days in NYC. I got the feeling they were just trying to get more cash out of me. Other schools like Pratt told me my portfolio was strong.

If you like the profs. and the program go for it. Other wise find a school that will give you what you're looking for, an MFA.

Thanks, I appreciate it. Yes, I was really hoping to stay in NY which is why I didn't apply to too many schools out of the area.

Although I have to admit your description of the University of Chicago had me wishing I had considered moving to Chi-town. Meeting William Pope.L must have been awesome!

Totally understand! NYC will do you well...did you apply to Columbia too? I really like Thomas Roma's work... EDIT: (you applying for photo?)

Yeah, Pope.L is the man...really nice guy as well and, wow, that "crawl" piece he did...amazing. He had some terrific questions that made me look at my work differently. Enjoyed the experience for sure.

Best of luck on the interview!

Edited by OutWest

I am most likely going to Madison. Congrats. Have u visited yet or are you planing to?

I am going to visit next week and I feel like I will most likely go to Madison. That is, if I like Madison. I am afraid I won't since I live in Brooklyn now... then again it would be nice to get out of the stinky city.

I also got into Wisconsin for Painting and it's one of my favorite programs. I was wondering, though, did you have to submit the financial aid application for the TAs and PAs? They told me they weren't making decisions about funding until the applications were due on the 24th.

Yeah, I have not submitted that application for the TA and PA positions. I was thinking about it, but I am not sure I want to do it if they are offering me a scholarship. Is the scholarship contingent upon a TA or PA position? I'm confused now.

Why would you say its your favorite program, if I may ask? And have you visited the campus?

How did you check that online at Tyler? I went onto the Temple Banner application and it just said "Application Complete/In Process." Is that the site you found it on?

Sorry to hear you didn't get in! I am suspecting the same as I am not sure I fit well with the aesthetics of the program.

My status has said "incomplete: items outstanding" since February, even though when I call they assure me everything was received and my application has been sent to the panel for review. I'm so stressed about it.

I'm pretty sure it was the Temple banner. Definitely not Slideroom. It's divided into two columns with your info on the right. It's underneath my name, address, etc. It has been blank since I checked it today. Perhaps if yours does not say anything, you are still in the running!

My status has said "incomplete: items outstanding" since February, even though when I call they assure me everything was received and my application has been sent to the panel for review. I'm so stressed about it.

My application said that too for the longest time. I'm sure if they assured you then it's probably not an issue.

question: do yall send thank yous to your interviewers after the fact? i feel like i want to, if only because i truly did enjoy the experience.

would this be tacky, or good form?

Yes, send a thank you note. I agree with olderdog.

I think a lot of interviewers make an effort to be nice and make sure their interviewees are comfortable enough to open up and talk about themselves. So I think they deserve credit for that!

Has anyone heard anything from UNC for Painting? I asked this awhile back, but I have not heard anything or seen anyone mention it on this forum. Thanks everyone!

UNC is all one, interdisciplinary program, and when I applied (2 years ago) I was notified around Feb 1st.

Mine doesn't even have the section called "Decision". Odd...

NAME:

PERMANENT:

PHONE NUMBER:

APPLICATION DATA

ADMISSION TERM:

ADMISSION TYPE:

APPLICATION STATUS:

DECISION:

CURRENT PROGRAM

This is how mine looked with my info on the right.

Edited by whoisit

NAME:

PERMANENT:

PHONE NUMBER:

APPLICATION DATA

ADMISSION TERM:

ADMISSION TYPE:

APPLICATION STATUS:

DECISION:

CURRENT PROGRAM

This is how mine looked with my info on the right.

Re: Tyler - my application status has also said "incomplete items outstanding" even though everything was submitted on time. I checked again just now and I don't see a field called "decision" either. I assumed I didn't get in because I know that other people received an email saying they were finalists... so I'm thinking our online profiles are being updated bit by bit. But I guess that until it actually says we're not accepted we can still hope... maybe?

Yes, send a thank you note. I agree with olderdog.

I think a lot of interviewers make an effort to be nice and make sure their interviewees are comfortable enough to open up and talk about themselves. So I think they deserve credit for that!

yes

thanks for dispelling my doubts!

Totally understand! NYC will do you well...did you apply to Columbia too? I really like Thomas Roma's work... EDIT: (you applying for photo?)

Yeah, Pope.L is the man...really nice guy as well and, wow, that "crawl" piece he did...amazing. He had some terrific questions that made me look at my work differently. Enjoyed the experience for sure.

Best of luck on the interview!

I actually am applying to Columbia, and I really like Roma as well. I went to the past two year's open houses and I was very impressed by him both times I met him. Columbia allows you to submit applications to multiple concentrations, so I actually applied to both photo and new genres but with different portfolios.

Edited by tysonr2