MFA 2012 All Art ADMISSIONS freak-out forum!!!!!!!!

ellsworthy

Getting in on this a little late but just had to...

Accepted to CCA and attending the open studios

Interviewed with SFAI waiting to hear back

Interviewing with SMFA 3/10 in Boston

A bunch of rejections but trying not to dwell on those.

I can see that I will be seeing some of your anonymous faces either at the CCA open studios or the SMFA interview.

What a crazy experience! Let me know if anyone hears from SFAI.

SFAI told me that I was accepted in the middle of the interview (probably not what you wanted to hear) but I have spoken on the phone a couple of times to the Director of Graduate Admissions, her name is Jana, and she seems super nice. She would probably give you an update as to your status.

Though Alfred is a small program, it's top 10...so, I wouldn't stress about the "art world"...plus, anyway, how you make your own connections and push your work is more what will make your art shine in the art world...

Mills is a fine program and has excellent connections to the scene in San Fran, which is a very interesting place to be, especially for new media/new genres.

You're doing fine :)

Miyamoto: I agree with outwest

I actually went to alfred for undergrad and had a lot of the professors that you would have for the MFA in EIA program ( namely Peer Bode, and Xiowen Chen ) Honestly not only are these professors highly intelligent, but have AMAZING connections. Xiowen was able to get Oliver herring to come , speak , and sit and chat and eat pizza with the undergrads/grads , along with many other well established artists. I feel like small schools often get overlooked, especially alfred. I know its not in a place you might not want to spend 2 years of your life, but the sense of community is amazing! plus even though its in somewhat the middle of nowhere, your still only a 4-5 hour drive from nyc, have great networking opportunities, and still meet great artists. I would honestly apply but they really dont accept graduates from their bfa program to their mfa program ( i also would like another experience and to get out of the area)

Sorry , thats just my 2 cents and plug for my alma mater ! :)

Hey OutWest and Uke, I definitely appreciate your input, so thanks! As has been echoed on here before, this whole process is such a roller coaster - it's hard to take yourself out of it and not feel like you need to second guess yourself all the time. (I keep on having the voice of "IT'S YOUR ENTIRE FUTURE ON THE LINE! Which of course I know isn't true, but still.) I think until we all make a final decision, maybe that's just part of the process. Despite it all, I feel so incredibly fortunate to be accepted into the places that I have, most of whom are all very excited about my work - which I think is so important to keep in mind in all of this. I'd much rather go to a small school who is really excited about what I am doing rather than a big school where I feel like a number. That was definitely one of the reasons why I applied to the schools I did. So now it will boil down to money and who can offer me what financially combined with location. It just gets to hard not to be competitive-minded when the whole business is how it is. I have to keep on reminding myself that grad school should be focused on doing your work in the best place possible with the right people. The art, after all, has to come first.

However speaking of decisions, I sadly had to decline Alfred this past week because they wanted a commitment really early on. It was really tough decision because, Uke, I hear you on how awesome the program is. But at this point, I've been offered more assistance at other places and it was just too early to give a yes. But I agonized over that decision for at least a week. I think in the end I made the right choice, but given what you just said and given what I already knew about the program, it was a really hard thing to pass up. I was telling someone else that my hope through it is that my slot can be opened to someone else who will take advantage of such a great program with great people. *sigh*

No offense, but there is an awful lot of whining coming from people with interviews and acceptances in their pockets. Sure, I'm bitter, but some people in here could use some perspective.

Oh sympatico, I understand what you are saying but don't forget that many of the people with acceptances and interviews are second and third year applicants. It's not like we don't have perspective that it could be worse. Also, getting an interview is something to be grateful for but those who have them still run the risk of not getting in anywhere.

I think people need an outlet for all admissions fears and frustrations, big or small, whether that is fear of not getting in, troubles with funding, or even facing difficult choices between schools... I hope things work out for you, but in the meantime i don't think people complaining lack perspective, they are just reaching out to others in their situation.

Kazoo, thank you for your continual wise perspective in all of this. I for one don't want to come across as ungrateful or not acknowledge that people are dealing with such high levels of stress and emotion through this whole process. Honestly, I went into this whole application season fully accepting the fact that I might not have gotten in anywhere, and I had a Plan B should that have happened. The thing that I think that is so important to realize is that people are on their own journey. I know I commented the other day about MLo, who managed to be on their way to acceptances to all the top schools - but I have no idea what they went through in order to get there. I can speak for myself and say that it took me almost a decade to get through my undergrad, including getting kicked out of a program and then transferring 2 other times, moving and dealing with chaos in my personal life, and supporting myself on my own through out all of it. I've had to work and struggle and sacrifice to get to the point that I have, and I can only image how many others of us are out there who have had to do the same thing for our work. I've failed so many times. Yet it's up to all of us, to dust ourselves off and keep on at it. A wise professor of mine once told me that it's not the people who are talented who are successful, though I'm sure it helps. The people who are successful are the ones who never give up and who persevere through all the setbacks.

hey guys

Thanks for the support! Cheers to everyone who has been hearing good news of late!! It's exciting that soon we'll be able to focus on making things.

I'm posting because I heard that my friend got an interview with USC, so it seems confirmed that if we haven't heard anything yet, we're out.

Hey OutWest and Uke, I definitely appreciate your input, so thanks! As has been echoed on here before, this whole process is such a roller coaster - it's hard to take yourself out of it and not feel like you need to second guess yourself all the time. (I keep on having the voice of "IT'S YOUR ENTIRE FUTURE ON THE LINE! Which of course I know isn't true, but still.) I think until we all make a final decision, maybe that's just part of the process. Despite it all, I feel so incredibly fortunate to be accepted into the places that I have, most of whom are all very excited about my work - which I think is so important to keep in mind in all of this. I'd much rather go to a small school who is really excited about what I am doing rather than a big school where I feel like a number. That was definitely one of the reasons why I applied to the schools I did. So now it will boil down to money and who can offer me what financially combined with location. It just gets to hard not to be competitive-minded when the whole business is how it is. I have to keep on reminding myself that grad school should be focused on doing your work in the best place possible with the right people. The art, after all, has to come first.

However speaking of decisions, I sadly had to decline Alfred this past week because they wanted a commitment really early on. It was really tough decision because, Uke, I hear you on how awesome the program is. But at this point, I've been offered more assistance at other places and it was just too early to give a yes. But I agonized over that decision for at least a week. I think in the end I made the right choice, but given what you just said and given what I already knew about the program, it was a really hard thing to pass up. I was telling someone else that my hope through it is that my slot can be opened to someone else who will take advantage of such a great program with great people. *sigh*

Kazoo, thank you for your continual wise perspective in all of this. I for one don't want to come across as ungrateful or not acknowledge that people are dealing with such high levels of stress and emotion through this whole process. Honestly, I went into this whole application season fully accepting the fact that I might not have gotten in anywhere, and I had a Plan B should that have happened. The thing that I think that is so important to realize is that people are on their own journey. I know I commented the other day about MLo, who managed to be on their way to acceptances to all the top schools - but I have no idea what they went through in order to get there. I can speak for myself and say that it took me almost a decade to get through my undergrad, including getting kicked out of a program and then transferring 2 other times, moving and dealing with chaos in my personal life, and supporting myself on my own through out all of it. I've had to work and struggle and sacrifice to get to the point that I have, and I can only image how many others of us are out there who have had to do the same thing for our work. I've failed so many times. Yet it's up to all of us, to dust ourselves off and keep on at it. A wise professor of mine once told me that it's not the people who are talented who are successful, though I'm sure it helps. The people who are successful are the ones who never give up and who persevere through all the setbacks.

Now I'M the whiney one! Haha. Seriously though - I have had a somewhat similar experience to yours (just to a lesser degree). Even if nothing works out for me I can take solace that there are people who I can relate to who are being successful. Good luck to you.

Yet it's up to all of us, to dust ourselves off and keep on at it. A wise professor of mine once told me that it's not the people who are talented who are successful, though I'm sure it helps. The people who are successful are the ones who never give up and who persevere through all the setbacks.

I like this attitude. It's all about hard work and perseverance in the end.

If we suppose that by beginning of april we all have our answers, does that mean that with every new day the probability of hearing back increases? I should hear back from schools every 2 days on average until the end of march...

any one else get lost in useless rationalizations of a process that is completely illogical? :angry:

happy thursday everyone <3

However speaking of decisions, I sadly had to decline Alfred this past week because they wanted a commitment really early on. It was really tough decision because, Uke, I hear you on how awesome the program is. But at this point, I've been offered more assistance at other places and it was just too early to give a yes.

Oh no! I hope i didnt make you feel bad! i think im just stuck in recruitment mode as I worked in the admissions office during much of my time there..haha. did they offer a ta-ing position? I know they do for sculpture/ceramics, with an living stipend, but that could just be for those departments that are a bit more sparse than the eia program. Im sure where ever you go you'll blow them away!

Off topic, but I thought I would share - I hope no one minds.

I went to a Toronto art fair on the weekend and found myself at the booth of a young woman who had just finished her BFA. I was quite taken with her work, and I picked up a piece ( I liked it, and I had the money - esp. since I am counting on not getting in to a Master's - bring on the iPad 3 and a new car!!! LOL). She dropped the piece off yesterday, and between Saturday (paying for the painting) and Wednesday (receiving the work) I did some research on her work.

I was blown away.

Her portfolio was so diverse. She showed skill in many areas, and her work, IMO, had a great deal of depth - conceptually.

I got to thinking, maybe I'm just not ready. Maybe I need to spend another year really pushing myself outside of my comfort zone and paint and sculpt, maybe even shoot and printmake. Maybe I just need to really work hard and explore. It seems to me, she eked every drop of learning and experience out of her BFA. I did not. Perhaps I'm just not ready to get what she got out of her Bachelor's out of my Master's. Maybe I need to cut back on my work hours and double up on studio time.

And perhaps I'm just trying to soften the blow of rejection.

I hope everyone has a fruitful day and the letter are filled with YES-es and financial packages.

Don't mean I got in yo! (-;

That's true, but you must definitely have a portfolio of substance

to get so much interest. Have you finished all your interviews?

If so, you must be a pro by now....

Plus if you do receive multiple offers, you will have more leverage than most prospective students.

Is there anyone out there applying who never got a BFA?

It's interesting what Mr. Sad was saying... I took some art courses as an undergrad but never got a degree. I've been painting and showing my work for twenty years but after having a recent discussion with one of my old profs. I'm feeling a huge disadvantage going for an MFA without a previous art degree even though most schools don't require it.

Was wondering if anyone out there could add perspective to this.

Just got another rejection...UNH

I just got an email from Cal State Long Beach saying that I am accepted!

If that is where I end up going, I will immediately buy a surf board.

If you're in printmaking, go to Iowa unless CSULB offers a better financial aid package. In fact, I'd say the same relative to any of the ones you're waiting on.

I went to a Toronto art fair on the weekend and found myself at the booth of a young woman who had just finished her BFA. I was quite taken with her work, and I picked up a piece ( I liked it, and I had the money - esp. since I am counting on not getting in to a Master's - bring on the iPad 3 and a new car!!! LOL). She dropped the piece off yesterday, and between Saturday (paying for the painting) and Wednesday (receiving the work) I did some research on her work.

I was blown away.

Her portfolio was so diverse. She showed skill in many areas, and her work, IMO, had a great deal of depth - conceptually.

I got to thinking, maybe I'm just not ready. Maybe I need to spend another year really pushing myself outside of my comfort zone and paint and sculpt, maybe even shoot and printmake. Maybe I just need to really work hard and explore. It seems to me, she eked every drop of learning and experience out of her BFA. I did not. Perhaps I'm just not ready to get what she got out of her Bachelor's out of my Master's. Maybe I need to cut back on my work hours and double up on studio time.

I hope everyone has a fruitful day and the letter are filled with YES-es and financial packages.

What was her name!

It's interesting what Mr. Sad was saying... I took some art courses as an undergrad but never got a degree. I've been painting and showing my work for twenty years but after having a recent discussion with one of my old profs. I'm feeling a huge disadvantage going for an MFA without a previous art degree even though most schools don't require it.

Gosh, from what I can tell looking at people over the years going in and out of grad school, you could earn a BS/BA in biomechanical basket weaving and it wouldn't matter as long as your portfolio stands out and you can talk about your goods!

I was blown away.

From what you wrote it sounds like at some point it may be helpful for you to focus on one of the art practices you listed... Even though I like making sculpture and shooting photos and using the computer and printmaking, I put 95% of my studio time during the last year and a half into painting exclusively and I JUST ended up having the pieces I needed to have a strong portfolio for this application season... I know everyone is different, but I learned something about process recently, and how important it is to try to exhaust an idea or a technique. Sometimes that's the only way an artist will be able to discover his/her own language, by insisting on something if it doesn't reveal itself immediately. Good luck with everything and if you believe you'll succeed then it will happen!

Is there anyone out there applying who never got a BFA? It's interesting what Mr. Sad was saying... I took some art courses as an undergrad but never got a degree. I've been painting and showing my work for twenty years but after having a recent discussion with one of my old profs. I'm feeling a huge disadvantage going for an MFA without a previous art degree even though most schools don't require it. Was wondering if anyone out there could add perspective to this. Just got another rejection...UNH

My two cents on this: I think if you have a strong idea (concept) and you explain it well in your writing you probably have as good a chance to get into an MFA as someone who did finish a BFA. I got a BA + almost twenty years of art practice on my own (self-taught) and I got a few acceptances but I remember talking to a person completed his MFA at UCSD years ago and his undergrad had nothing to do with art. He was a conceptual artist though. He didn't "make" anything, he worked with ideas...

You don't need an advanced degree, or degree at all to be a successful artist. Knowing where, how and who with to position your work in current times and context is what's important. Stay true to your inner voice and do what feels right...that's what every artist in the past did that we look at today. In no way am I trying to dismiss the opportunities and possibilities that will arise while attending a mfa program, as I am applying to many myself. But, one must constantly reevaluate their reasoning on obtaining this degree. Is it to teach? gain recognition? study with faculty, visiting artists, and a community of peers? strengthen and develop your work? all these are admirable but it's hard to say for one person to the next. I just don't want an mfa to mean another mother fucking artist. It almost seems that importance has shifted from the artwork itself to where the individual went to school. "Oh...they went to Yale, their work must be great!" I don't buy it.

Edited by leetimko

I do not have a BFA. I really think it depends on the school's philosophy.

The most informative article I have read on the topic is this one:

http://www.artschools.com/articles/admission/best/

What I took away from it, was that the single most important

factor in a school's decision is the portfolio the student presents to them.

Since most schools ask that your portfolio contain only works within the calender year,

it probably allows them to evaluate the level of craftsmanship (proficiency determined by work/time)...

Furthermore, as a 'non-traditional' student, your life experiences (and 20 years of work)

will be strongly considered. A friend of mine, a 'non-traditional' student, with a long gap

in between academic programs was accepted to a top 5 MFA program. And no interview was

required.

So sure, it does happen! Good luck!!!

I don't have a BFA! I have a BA in something completely unrelated to my studio art practice. I did enroll for 3 semesters in a BFA program recently to build my skills, develop relationships with mentors, have access to great printmaking studios and have more studio art classes on my transcripts.

I would say that many MFA programs prefer students without a BFA. Of course, your work still has to be on par with the applicants that do have a BFA, but everything else equal, they would take the non-BFA student because of the other fields and experiences that those individuals could bring to the program. I know my program has about 4 out of 20 students who never studied art in school prior to their acceptance here.