MFA 2012 All Art ADMISSIONS freak-out forum!!!!!!!!

ellsworthy

OMG! I just got accepted to Pratt for their MS in Communication Design program!

I'm already accepted to Carnegie Mellon (and I absolutely love their CPID program) but Pratt is in frickin' Manhattan inside New York City! Any thoughts on this guys?

This has made my decision a lot more trickier!

Don't lose hope you guys. I received both my acceptances within the last 7 days. Clearly they are still sending out acceptances! :D

Congratulations to everyone else who got accepted!

I don't think MassArt tells applicants when they've been wait listed. Not sure why.

And I've heard of people being accepted to SMFA late in the game (without even interviewing). So you never know.

When I called MassArt to check up on the status of my application 3 weeks after interviewing, they literally wouldn't tell me a thing. Not until they were ready. I wasn't rejected, but not exactly happy with their offer either.

yes interviewed with both...one of the status still says in review but I heard a lot of people got their decisions already

OMG! I just got accepted to Pratt for their MS in Communication Design program!

I'm already accepted to Carnegie Mellon (and I absolutely love their CPID program) but Pratt is in frickin' Manhattan inside New York City! Any thoughts on this guys?

This has made my decision a lot more trickier!

Don't lose hope you guys. I received both my acceptances within the last 7 days. Clearly they are still sending out acceptances! :D

Congratulations to everyone else who got accepted!

Congrats!!! But actually Pratt is in Brooklyn, not Manhattan. Not sure if that makes a difference to you, but congrats!

Any acceptances to UCI yet? I feel like someone else posted something about already having a great offer but really wanting to hear from all of his/her top choices before accepting anything, and I'm in the same boat. Womp womp indeed.

Any acceptances to UCI yet? I feel like someone else posted something about already having a great offer but really wanting to hear from all of his/her top choices before accepting anything, and I'm in the same boat. Womp womp indeed.

What do you work in? I would just go to UCSD if you're a painter.

Haha def not a painter - new genres, video, performance - all of which I know UCSD has an amazing record with, but I love the heavy critical aspect of the program at UCI (not that that's not at UCSD), amongst other things, & it's closer to LA, where I currently reside. My partner and cats would stay here so while we've discussed how it's going to work if I go to UCSD, UCI is still a program I'm super interested in.

What do you work in? I would just go to UCSD if you're a painter.

l'artist, are you from the US? And would you choose Carnegie Mellon or Pratt? And why?

I'm from Pakistan so I don't have the native advantage in knowing which one's better.

Yes, I'm from the US. I have lived in Manhattan too. I love NYC, but have heard not the greatest things about Pratt, although I know nothing about the communication design program. I have on the other hand heard great things about CMU. It's a tough decision!!

I know this probably doesn't make you feel any better right now, but you're not alone in having to reapply next year. Many people apply 2, 3, sometimes even 4 times. The whole process is so unbearably subjective.

You could ask how you could strengthen your application for next year. They might be able to provide some feedback.

just got a call-didnt get accepted,thats it for me,,no more trying to live

Yes, I'm from the US. I have lived in Manhattan too. I love NYC, but have heard not the greatest things about Pratt, although I know nothing about the communication design program. I have on the other hand heard great things about CMU. It's a tough decision!!

It is! I prefer CMU in all things but the location. I have always wanted to live in NYC (like every other outsider :P ) but I guess I could move there after I graduate.

Both the programs are fundamentally visual communication and CMU is ranked #1 for it while Pratt didn't even make the top 10 this year. Even with graphic design- which makes for a huge part of the program- CMU is #4 on the US News ranking (just behind RISD, Yale and MICA) and Pratt again fails to make the top 10.

Oh well. I guess my dreams of living in Manhattan will have to wait.

So I still haven't heard back from SVA, I know a bunch of people have been receiving acceptance/waitlist emails, so does this mean I can assume that I'm out of the running?

I didn't

So I still haven't heard back from SVA, I know a bunch of people have been receiving acceptance/waitlist emails, so does this mean I can assume that I'm out of the running?

I didn't hear from SVA either.

Hey everybody! I was wondering if any of the printmakers out there have heard anything from RISD, Tyler, or ASU. I've got all rejections so for, and this suspense is making me sick :(

Have any sculptors heard from UCLA? I assume I am out but I just can't move on until I get that rejection

I called them - they said they are still making decisions and they dont call everyone for interviews either, so you just never know.

It is! I prefer CMU in all things but the location. I have always wanted to live in NYC (like every other outsider :P ) but I guess I could move there after I graduate.

Both the programs are fundamentally visual communication and CMU is ranked #1 for it while Pratt didn't even make the top 10 this year. Even with graphic design- which makes for a huge part of the program- CMU is #4 on the US News ranking (just behind RISD, Yale and MICA) and Pratt again fails to make the top 10.

Oh well. I guess my dreams of living in Manhattan will have to wait.

Yes, if you are going to spend the money to go to either of those design programs (and, you WILL be spending some big money), going to CMU is a no-brainer...plus, two things...1) NYC is only a 6 hour car ride or 8 hour train away. 2) Rent in Pitt is a heck of a lot cheaper!

CMU is such a tremendous program and it's dialed into the NY design scene, you could conceivably get a job in your dream city afterwards in a snap...go for it :)