MFA 2012 All Art ADMISSIONS freak-out forum!!!!!!!!

ellsworthy

Thanks for your perspective!

I agree. Personally I don't feel discouraged, more just like i'm in this weird limbo where I don't know whether to move on to the next battle, or hold out hope for this round. The silence is deafening, and without wanting to, I put a huge part of my energy into waiting, which is taking away from my time painting, creating etc. Any one else feel this way? I've been on the edge of my seat for over a month and a half, every day hoping for good news.

Me too!!! Urg. It's debilitating.

I didn't do much research on the program but I heard people saying that the atmosphere of the whole school is great.

Hey guys and gals

Anyone have thoughts or experiences or insights or feelings or comments or the like on or about the photo program at RISD?

Anyone accepted and going to attend?

my CCA admission status changed onlline to "admission denied" :(

only SAIC animation to go. and then I can move on with my life. I really hope I get in though and seeing how it's animation and that was my undergrad studies, it's always been my best chance.

So stupid of me to think I can get into Painting without much experience. I just thought that's what I want to get better at, so that's what I should study. I also always thought that grad schools appreciate people coming from different disciplines to add diversity to their programs but that's just lies becuase they just want people who are already good at what they do.

I'm kinda confused about this whole grad school thing now. like what is it for, and who is it for, and what's actually expected of us in the program?

only SAIC animation to go. and then I can move on with my life. I really hope I get in though and seeing how it's animation and that was my undergrad studies, it's always been my best chance.

So stupid of me to think I can get into Painting without much experience. I just thought that's what I want to get better at, so that's what I should study. I also always thought that grad schools appreciate people coming from different disciplines to add diversity to their programs but that's just lies becuase they just want people who are already good at what they do.

I'm kinda confused about this whole grad school thing now. like what is it for, and who is it for, and what's actually expected of us in the program?

Its a whole different game when your applying to all highly ranked schools! and at 22! The average age for grad school students is about 28. Unfortunately you don't have a link to your work on your profile, but a SAIC or CalArts is looking for things much different in a painter than, say, NYAA. When talking about getting better at painting, that can mean a lot of things to different people, so its finding a program that can teach you what you want to learn. Schools do like diversity of disciplines, but yes, top ranked schools want people that are already pretty good (by their standards).

what is it for? many reasons, all subjective to the artist and their own reasons for obtaining this degree. some to have the ability to teach at a university, to develop your work, be surrounded by a group of peers, faculty, and visiting artists.

I would say it is for someone that is extremely dedicated to the art making process and wants to do nothing but that for two + years. What is expected is that you just give it your best. They'll have an idea of what you can do in two years based on your portfolio. I would just blow them out of the water and do more than you even thought was possible. Their goal to some extent is to break you down and let you build yourself back up, which in turn will lead to a possibly stronger body of work. The one question I always ask myself is "why are you painting?" and that seems to help. hah

nfrog,

I really hope things work out for you and that you get to attend graduate school in 2012. That being said...

I think you're in a really unique and exciting position. You seem to have a lot of experience in one area but are open-minded and excited to develop new skills. If you apply again next year, it might be cool to consider schools with truly interdisciplinary programs. You can be accepted based on the strength of your work and ideas, but will not be confined to the medium of your "expertise" once you get there.

Definitely think about Washington University in St. Louis. That's one of the things I like the most about their program. They say a lot of times people come in with a strong portfolio in one discipline, but then (while working in their interdisciplinary program) they end up making work in another discipline. This means the idea comes first, then you make the art necessary to reflect the idea--regardless of medium or format.

Anyway... that's just a thought. There are other programs out there like that (UIC I believe focuses on an interdisciplinary approach, and many other schools that I know less about). Plus, that means that you could still work on animation a little if you wanted to, while still developing your painting portfolio.

In the meantime, if you need technical development for your painting, it could be cool to take a post-bac class in painting at your local university or art center. It's manageable to take one class while working full-time. I've done it before. You can save up money for grad school while working on those painting skills. Who knows--you might add to your portfolio in the process.

I know you're feeling down and low right now. I don't blame you. This process is tough and rejections SUCK. But grad school is an opportunity to learn and grow. It sounds like that's what you want to do, so I wouldn't give up on it if I were you. May the force be with you!!

I hope you'll still get a surprise acceptance from SAIC. But if not, get yourself ready for the next round. I hope you don't have "quitting" in you, and despite your forum login name, don't be that! good luck to you

Thanks ol'spice.

Much appreciated.

I'm going to call and discuss my status a bit more. If I can't wiggle my way into their wait list, it will most likely be Pratt. I'm waiting to hear from SVA, but I'm still leaning more towards Pratt. It's looking more and more like we'll be classmates in a few months!

Hey Tall, it would be gr8 to meet you at Pratt if we turn out to be classmates.Before that I would like to wish you luck with MICA first. i hope it works out for you. :)

Dear gradcafe artists,

Has anyone heard back from Columbia University MFA New Genres?

This year I was very fortunate to get in to few schools and one of them specifically (that I want to go to) wants me to make a decision this week.

I assume because of the Financial Aid and the waiting list?! Not so sure.

My question is if I did not hear back anything from Columbia(no interview)... is it safe to assume that I will not be admitted?

Thank you in advance, This year this forum have been extremely helpful and supportive!

If it's any consolation, I have not. I know that SVA recently sent out acceptance e-mails to a few of their programs, but I'm not sure whether they did the same for illustration.

Still waiting for SVA Illustration as well

Hi everybody,

I just discovered this forum! I'm an international student waiting for some schools to reply. My list includes University of Miami; USC; UIC; Ohio. How is it that none of them has given out a word about my application? Is it possible that they're all rejections having been posted by mail?

any thoughts is appreciated :)

I'm pretty sure USC interviews the candidates that will be both wait listed and admitted. The others I'm not so sure about but oftentimes not hearing anything when others have been both admitted and rejected means wait list! Which is good on one hand but can be a whole different type of extended torture on the other haha Good luck!

Hi everybody,

I just discovered this forum! I'm an international student waiting for some schools to reply. My list includes University of Miami; USC; UIC; Ohio. How is it that none of them has given out a word about my application? Is it possible that they're all rejections having been posted by mail?

any thoughts is appreciated :)

Wow, lol. So just got an email from CSULB saying they did not receive one of my transcripts, so they withdrew my application. Funny thing is, I was contacted by them last month and they told me they were missing 2 out of 4 transcripts. I sent them and now this email said there was another missing transcript (which they didn't bother telling me about when they contacted me last month).

Meh. I was pretty much expecting not getting in this time around. I will be applying again this fall, with a strengthened portfolio and the information I gained this year. I also hope to apply to more programs, as this time I was greatly limited by lack of money for applications. I hope to see everyone who didn't get in this year back on the board in about 6 months and congrats to everyone who did get in.

I appreciate your response. All I know is that I'm in the waitlist for UB (They're supposed to get back to me by April 16; however, most likely no funding) and among the final pool of applicants to be considered in Ohio. Besides, I did not make it to Northwestern and U of washington.

I'm pretty sure USC interviews the candidates that will be both wait listed and admitted. The others I'm not so sure about but oftentimes not hearing anything when others have been both admitted and rejected means wait list! Which is good on one hand but can be a whole different type of extended torture on the other haha Good luck!

Wow, lol. So just got an email from CSULB saying they did not receive one of my transcripts, so they withdrew my application. Funny thing is, I was contacted by them last month and they told me they were missing 2 out of 4 transcripts. I sent them and now this email said there was another missing transcript (which they didn't bother telling me about when they contacted me last month).

Meh. I was pretty much expecting not getting in this time around. I will be applying again this fall, with a strengthened portfolio and the information I gained this year. I also hope to apply to more programs, as this time I was greatly limited by lack of money for applications. I hope to see everyone who didn't get in this year back on the board in about 6 months and congrats to everyone who did get in.

Good luck for next time. Sounds like you have a good plan.

Has anyone heard back from Columbia University MFA New Genres?

I haven't heard from them either, but what I found in last years forum isn't very encouraging:

from 3/8/2011:

"Columbia has made all their calls. Painting is always the first to report, new genres always the last - someone here posted two weeks ago that they had received an offer for an interview. I've applied several times and the interview calls are always made the last week of february/first week of march."

Anyone heard back from SAIC Sculpture yet? I had an interview 3/3 where they said it will take them 10 days for their decision..it's been 20 soon. :(

In the meantime: good luck to everyone who's still hanging in there.

________

SAIC 'Art & Technology': Accepted 2/15

SAIC 'Sculpture': Interview 3/3

Columbia 'New Genres': waiting

Edited by twobeers