MFA 2012 All Art ADMISSIONS freak-out forum!!!!!!!!

ellsworthy

Yes, if you are going to spend the money to go to either of those design programs (and, you WILL be spending some big money), going to CMU is a no-brainer...plus, two things...1) NYC is only a 6 hour car ride or 8 hour train away. 2) Rent in Pitt is a heck of a lot cheaper!

CMU is such a tremendous program and it's dialed into the NY design scene, you could conceivably get a job in your dream city afterwards in a snap...go for it :)

I would agree, although I know little about the communication design program at Pratt specifically, what I know about the school as a whole would make me doubt their program is anywhere near the quality of CMU.

Hey OutWest... You have some amazing school offers! Are you leaning towards any yet?

Hey everybody! I was wondering if any of the printmakers out there have heard anything from RISD, Tyler, or ASU. I've got all rejections so for, and this suspense is making me sick :(

I have not heard of anyone getting news that they were rejected yet from RISD Printmaking. The people who have been accepted have been told. I emailed Andrew Raftery to find out my status and he told me that I was waitlisted.

I called Tyler today and they said they would have their Printmaking decisions out by the end of next week.

I was just wondering if there are any other people who still haven't heard from Rutgers? I haven't heard a word and am starting to think the forgot me sense they have been contacting people since mid-February.

Yes, if you are going to spend the money to go to either of those design programs (and, you WILL be spending some big money), going to CMU is a no-brainer...plus, two things...1) NYC is only a 6 hour car ride or 8 hour train away. 2) Rent in Pitt is a heck of a lot cheaper!

CMU is such a tremendous program and it's dialed into the NY design scene, you could conceivably get a job in your dream city afterwards in a snap...go for it :)

This makes me feel much better about my decision! Thanks so much!

Congrats on all your acceptances (with funding no less!) CMU only gives assistantships and that hardly makes a dent in my total cost of attendance.

It is! I prefer CMU in all things but the location. I have always wanted to live in NYC (like every other outsider :P ) but I guess I could move there after I graduate.

Both the programs are fundamentally visual communication and CMU is ranked #1 for it while Pratt didn't even make the top 10 this year. Even with graphic design- which makes for a huge part of the program- CMU is #4 on the US News ranking (just behind RISD, Yale and MICA) and Pratt again fails to make the top 10.

Oh well. I guess my dreams of living in Manhattan will have to wait.

You cannot seriously be debating Pratt vs. CMU? For real? Forget Pratt. It will do NOTHING for your career compared to CMU.

I would agree, although I know little about the communication design program at Pratt specifically, what I know about the school as a whole would make me doubt their program is anywhere near the quality of CMU.

Hey OutWest... You have some amazing school offers! Are you leaning towards any yet?

Yeah, go with CMU! You would really like it there from what I can gather...

Many thanks! Yes, I have been very excited, and no small part lucky, by my offers and have decided to go to UCLA. Sent my paperwork in and am ready to roll! I had a hard time declining UChicago. I really like the people there and that new Logan Arts Center is to die for...that will be a "heavy hitter" program in the next 10 years.

Many thanks! Yes, I have been very excited, and no small part lucky, by my offers and have decided to go to UCLA. Sent my paperwork in and am ready to roll! I had a hard time declining UChicago. I really like the people there and that new Logan Arts Center is to die for...that will be a "heavy hitter" program in the next 10 years.

what is your funding like at UCLA?

when did you get UCLA's official acceptance? I am still waiting

I'm also looking for some guidance on my choices. I was accepted into the MFA programs at both Pratt and SAIC. Waiting to hear back from Interaction Design at SVA and MICA offered me a post-bacc (which I won't accept).

SAIC and Pratt both rank as #12 in design using the latest data, they hear before the ranked at #11 and #9, respectively. Funding between the two was comprable and honestly isn't TOO big of a concern for me.

For my personal preferences: I'm leaning towards Pratt. I loved the people I met there, the campus, the studios, everything. It also turns out that the department chair and I have a mutual connection in New Zealand because I did a study abroad there. I'd love to move there eventually, so this could possibly help with that. For SAIC, I love the way their majors are integrated for non major-specific classes. However, they rubbed me the wrong way a bit during the interview process.

And, if I am accepted into the Interaction Design department at SVA, what would you all weigh in on that? I'm really intrigued by the marrying/collaboration of people from so many different backgrounds to get to one final goal. That's what I've been toying with as my potential thesis anyway.

Edited by ReallyTall

what is your funding like at UCLA?

when did you get UCLA's official acceptance? I am still waiting

Hi guys...got a full ride, TA, and small extra stipend...pretty much sealed the deal for me.

homelessnegatives: looks like you might be on a different schedule since you are Studio Art, whereas I am Media Arts. Are you going to go there you think? If so, hit me up via in-mail here. It would be cool to make your acquaintance.

Hi guys...got a full ride, TA, and small extra stipend...pretty much sealed the deal for me.

homelessnegatives: looks like you might be on a different schedule since you are Studio Art, whereas I am Media Arts. Are you going to go there you think? If so, hit me up via in-mail here. It would be cool to make your acquaintance.

That's all it took to get you to sign on?!

Any thoughts on how to ask for more financial aid? Should I mention names of other institutes to bargain? Or should I show my complete interest in the program and thus ask for more aid? Any other strategy? Is there anyone who has successfully baragianed for more aid?

Any thoughts on how to ask for more financial aid? Should I mention names of other institutes to bargain? Or should I show my complete interest in the program and thus ask for more aid? Any other strategy? Is there anyone who has successfully baragianed for more aid?

I tried using both the options and mentioned the name of the other school where I got an offer, also I told them how interested I am in their program. It helped to some extent and they offered me some additional aid. I sent one email to the director of Financial aid and a separate email to the department head. You can try bargaining using both the options, also ask them about TA or other work opportunities while studying. I am sure they will be happy to help you.

Edited by stars_pluto

Make sure you call someone in admissions before you accept a programs offer and just see if they could perhaps offer you more aid. Tell them money is a huge factor in deciding where you will attend (they will of course already know this, but helps to just reaffirm) You can also say that another school has offered you a better package and are curious as to if they could match it or make their offer a little more desirable. It doesn't hurt anything, and you have nothing to lose. Worst case is that the offer still stands unchanged. Best of luck.