MFA 2012 All Art ADMISSIONS freak-out forum!!!!!!!!

ellsworthy

For me, it was more of a funding issue, i.e. a good program that was free in LA. I'm sure that's why they get so many applicants. I didn't make it to the west coast to physically look at schools, so I couldn't get a visceral feel for the place itself. But you know, there are a lot worse things in life than going to a grad program in LA for free for 2 years. :)

Yeah, but their funding (they said in the Open House) was not a sure thing for everyone, so I'm a little sketchy on how much they ultimately offer...did you apply to UCLA? I believe they give the best funding in LA (and, it's too bad places like CalArts don't)...

Word. It does make art stars, but they all seem to be very, for lack of a better term, vanilla haha Plus one current student has been in a Whitney Biennial. It seems to be a place where artists who are already pretty well known go to get even more well known. & hang out/collaborate w each other & the faculty.

Hmmm, the students I met were not all "super stars" yet by any stretch (though, of course, they were talented)...I believe one grad of the program did a Whitney fairly recently, they said, but I didn't hear aobut a current student, though I'll take your word for it! I DID hear about one person that was on that "Next Big Artist" show and they were saying they were getting annoyed by the TV crews being constantly around...that would bug me too if I were trying to make work...

Anwyay, I don't mean to be dismissive of the program, it's solid, but perhpas a bit on the overrated side...

Edited by OutWest

Yeah, but their funding (they said in the Open House) was not a sure thing for everyone, so I'm a little sketchy on how much they ultimately offer...did you apply to UCLA? I believe they give the best funding in LA (and, it's too bad places like CalArts don't)...

I did apply to UCLA. And was rejected. *Whomp, whomp.*

I was a little disappointed, I really like their program and they have a lot of great people out there.

Welp, just received my rejection from SVA. So I suppose it's San Fran if I get funding or reapplication. Maybe I'll bum around Europe for a year and see what's up in regards to residency programs.

I did apply to UCLA. And was rejected. *Whomp, whomp.*

I was a little disappointed, I really like their program and they have a lot of great people out there.

Sorry to hear :( Where are you leaning on going? I seem to remember you had some awesome admits!

But did you send an application to Anine for the TA'ship/ scholarship funding? They haven't decided on those yet right. There's still hope no?

all I could get out of her was that the funding will be allotted when it becomes available... Dumdumdum

Sorry to hear :( Where are you leaning on going? I seem to remember you had some awesome admits!

all I could get out of her was that the funding will be allotted when it becomes available... Dumdumdum

Well, it's going to come down to Rutgers versus two other programs that I received really great funding for. Rutgers is a great program and fairly cheap for the level of education. Plus I'd really like to stay closer to New York. But I've gotten two fantastic offers from other schools, however I'm not as excited about the programs themselves and they are in a more remote location. As jjr8888 mentioned, Rutgers won't give us a definite on answer on funding until after we accept admission, so it's making it hard. I have a week to decide, but I've literally been awake at night wondering if I take the money and run or if I go to a program that I think will be better for my work and my career in the long run. I don't know.

And this isn't to say that the other programs are bad, because they aren't. The faculty that I've been in touch with there have been fantastic. At this point though, I just think that RU is producing grad work that is more along the lines of what I do and where I see myself going. It's going to be an extremely difficult decision.

Um, well if they can't tell me by April 2nd... I'm going to have to accept, then withdraw my acceptance, if I don't get the funding. Will this have any problems? Are acceptances contractual lol

Um, well if they can't tell me by April 2nd... I'm going to have to accept, then withdraw my acceptance, if I don't get the funding. Will this have any problems? Are acceptances contractual lol

Hmmmmm, perhaps? Maybe they would ban you from reapplying in the future. Jk.

Question: So if you get wait-listed, and later become accepted...can you still get decent funding?

I am also interested in the answer here. I am having feelings that I won't get any funding being on a wait list because those top choices have already been selected. I'm wondering what the chances are from some one getting off a wait list to get decent funding, or is this unheard of?

has anybody heard anything about financial aid at SVA?

Hi, I was accepted to the MFA Design program [2yr] in SVA - I sent them an email yesterday, asking when do they deliver information regarding financial aid. They should probably answer soon - I know that CalArts sends it in the beginning of April, and that MICA sent it last week. I'm sure SVA know that the financial aid question plays a major role in our decisions - they'll probably have it out soon. What's your program?

Hi, I was accepted to the MFA Design program [2yr] in SVA - I sent them an email yesterday, asking when do they deliver information regarding financial aid. They should probably answer soon - I know that CalArts sends it in the beginning of April, and that MICA sent it last week. I'm sure SVA know that the financial aid question plays a major role in our decisions - they'll probably have it out soon. What's your program?

Song! Long time no see!

How was your interview at Yale?

Sent my letter back to MICA letting them know I will not be attending MT. Royal. If anyone is on a waitlist or hasn't been notified yet - you might get my spot.

I'm on the wait list for MICA Mt. Royal and I will ask them to remove my name from the wait list. Hopefully, that will increase other people's chances. Good luck to everyone making decisions. I am 99% going to SAIC. Just awaiting my financial aid package...

Song! Long time no see!

How was your interview at Yale?

Hi! Yes, I know... I've been touring the States in the past two weeks! This kept me very busy :-) The interview at Yale was challenging. Very interesting, but hard. In all the other schools I wasn't required to bring tangible work, and the interview was a nice chat [with calarts - an HOUR long chat haha]. At Yale though, it was a big presentation with no less than 6 critics, that lasted 45 min. They were friendly, but kept interrupting [also each other], jumping from project to project, asking difficult [but intelligent] questions and criticizing. I could tell they all read my statement with attention - and all had things to say. This was nice to know - since they are all very talented and busy people. So it was an honor! After that I had another interview with two students - that was very nice and interesting.

I don't think they will accept me - I was a bit nervous, and felt that I'd have spoken better in Hebrew. Also, I feel like I left an impression of a not-mature enough or not experienced enough person. They also didn't really compliment any of my work - besides my writing skills... Maybe they didn't like it. So I really don't think I made it, but it sure was an experience!!

Edited by Song

I was accepted to the photo MFA program, but my acceptance letter didn't have even a word about financial aid in it. I'm worried that that's because it's all loans.....

I was accepted to the photo MFA program, but my acceptance letter didn't have even a word about financial aid in it. I'm worried that that's because it's all loans.....

Don't be too worried - I don't know what the SVA aid situation is, but at MICA their letter of acceptance also did not include any info on financial aid. Only a week later they sent me their proposal of a partial merit scholarship [and the rest loans].

Hi! Yes, I know... I've been touring the States in the past two weeks! This kept me very busy :-) The interview at Yale was challenging. Very interesting, but hard. In all the other schools I wasn't required to bring tangible work, and the interview was a nice chat [with calarts - an HOUR long chat haha]. At Yale though, it was a big presentation with no less than 6 critics, that lasted 45 min. They were friendly, but kept interrupting [also each other], jumping from project to project, asking difficult [but intelligent] questions and criticizing. I could tell they all read my statement with attention - and all had things to say. This was nice to know - since they are all very talented and busy people. So it was an honor! After that I had another interview with two students - that was very nice and interesting.

I don't think they will accept me - I was a bit nervous, and felt that I'd have spoken better in Hebrew. Also, I feel like I left an impression of a not-mature enough or not experienced enough person. They also didn't really compliment any of my work - besides my writing skills... Maybe they didn't like it. So I really don't think I made it, but it sure was an experience!!

oh! I am sure you made it ! It seems your interview goes very well. I also applied yale(3year) and had a skype interview. They didn't ask me many questions about my work...maybe not interesting enough...;( And the total time is 50min(plus with students...really short...). I guess I screwed it up because I was so nervous... Feel bad now...

I am considering to go to SVA, if you go there, let me know. ;-) (But I guess you will go to yale!)

I got accepted by SVA's photography, video and related media program for 3 years. But they said they will not give any financial aid to internatinoal applicant. I got accepted by calarts as well. Like you said, they will send out the offer before early april. I am torn between these two options

I see. I have been interviewed in another department, and I’m feeling the same. It was a great experience, but I felt that I’d have done much better!

Hope we are going to hear some good news on April 2nd.

oh! I am sure you made it ! It seems your interview goes very well. I also applied yale(3year) and had a skype interview. They didn't ask me many questions about my work...maybe not interesting enough...;( And the total time is 50min(plus with students...really short...). I guess I screwed it up because I was so nervous... Feel bad now...

I am considering to go to SVA, if you go there, let me know. ;-) (But I guess you will go to yale!)

Thank you! But like I said - I don't think I made it. I am finishing my undergrad this year - and it's very rare that they accept students so fresh out of school. Maybe if my interview would have been fabulous I would think I had a chance - but it didn't and I was nervous and I suspect they thought I was weird... As for your interview - I don't think the fact that it was on skype had an effect on it - you should stay optimistic! Maybe if we're really lucky we'll see each other next year at Yale :-) and if not - perhaps in SVA [which is also considered being lucky]. I'll let you know if I go there! Good luck to us!

I see. I have been interviewed in another department, and I’m feeling the same. It was a great experience, but I felt that I’d have done much better!

Hope we are going to hear some good news on April 2nd.

I guess it's comforting to know that this is their policy and style of interviewing. But it also means that it's a waist of time to try and figure out what they meant by acting like this - because they operate this method on everyone. I hope we both make it though! This will be a stressful week indeed.

I got accepted by SVA's photography, video and related media program for 3 years. But they said they will not give any financial aid to internatinoal applicant. I got accepted by calarts as well. Like you said, they will send out the offer before early april. I am torn between these two options

I understood from current students in other schools, that were accepted to calarts and sva, that their financial aid is extremely limited for everyone - not only internationals. I'm a citizen - so I guess I'm eligible for loans [yey...].

I got accepted there last year. I went to see the campus and wasn't impressed. They admitte 30 people a year, so 60 total just in the photo department. They have big names teaching there but they are more like visiting artists who might come for one semester but leave the next...i know they have partial tuition waivers if you work certain amount of hours per semester.