MFA 2012 All Art ADMISSIONS freak-out forum!!!!!!!!

ellsworthy

When would you hear about the partial tuition waiver? Do they mention that in the acceptance letter, or does that info come later?

I got accepted there last year. I went to see the campus and wasn't impressed. They admitte 30 people a year, so 60 total just in the photo department. They have big names teaching there but they are more like visiting artists who might come for one semester but leave the next...i know they have partial tuition waivers if you work certain amount of hours per semester.

I think I asked. For photo I think if you work 20 hours /per week you will get half off or 10 hours to get quartre off. But you don't always have the option to do it, there are many other students in the program so they have to make sure the opportunity goes to them too. I dont know if this applies to other departments though.

When would you hear about the partial tuition waiver? Do they mention that in the acceptance letter, or does that info come later?

Hi! Yes, I know... I've been touring the States in the past two weeks! This kept me very busy :-) The interview at Yale was challenging. Very interesting, but hard. In all the other schools I wasn't required to bring tangible work, and the interview was a nice chat [with calarts - an HOUR long chat haha]. At Yale though, it was a big presentation with no less than 6 critics, that lasted 45 min. They were friendly, but kept interrupting [also each other], jumping from project to project, asking difficult [but intelligent] questions and criticizing. I could tell they all read my statement with attention - and all had things to say. This was nice to know - since they are all very talented and busy people. So it was an honor! After that I had another interview with two students - that was very nice and interesting.

I don't think they will accept me - I was a bit nervous, and felt that I'd have spoken better in Hebrew. Also, I feel like I left an impression of a not-mature enough or not experienced enough person. They also didn't really compliment any of my work - besides my writing skills... Maybe they didn't like it. So I really don't think I made it, but it sure was an experience!!

Hey just wondering if they ever interrupted you while you were giving your presentation.

Hey just wondering if they ever interrupted you while you were giving your presentation.

Hi, umm... yeah - I never really got a chance to go through any presentation - at the beginning they didn't even let me go into talking about individual pieces. They just kept asking me things about my work in general, and that lead to talking about individual pieces. It was more like a conversation of 7 people.

Thank you! But like I said - I don't think I made it. I am finishing my undergrad this year - and it's very rare that they accept students so fresh out of school. Maybe if my interview would have been fabulous I would think I had a chance - but it didn't and I was nervous and I suspect they thought I was weird... As for your interview - I don't think the fact that it was on skype had an effect on it - you should stay optimistic! Maybe if we're really lucky we'll see each other next year at Yale :-) and if not - perhaps in SVA [which is also considered being lucky]. I'll let you know if I go there! Good luck to us!

Thank you Song! Figure-crossed for us!

I'm waiting for my results for RISD MFA Graphic Design.

It seems like emails have been sent out to the accepted students few days ago.

Obviously, I haven't received an email, nor an interview mail.

Should I assume that I'm rejected?

Some say that a lot don't get an email before their official acceptance letter, so I'm keeping my hopes up.

Anybody know what's going on?

happy monday everyone,

this waiting game is driving me crazy... i'm about ready to attack the postman when he comes. its the 26th of march and i'm still waiting for 6 answers?!

USC, SAIC, MICA should all be by mail, and Tyler by email.

It seems that RISD hasn't officially rejected candidates?

Also, anyone else still waiting on UCSD?

Thanks kazoo, you're a sweetheart as always :) And, I am jealous of your Alps skiing experience...I am a hard core snowboarder and one of my dreams is to ride Saas-Fee for, oh, a month straight :)

Of course Outwest! I think your work is so interesting and am happy for you! I've never been to Saas-Fee but that would be awesome. I've mainly stayed france-side, in Meribel this time, and would definitely recommend it.

I interviewed a month ago at Tyler. Since I haven't heard anything, I called admissions today. It turns out they've already made decisions about most photo MFA candidates. But not me. They have no info about my application. Weird.....

SVA [finally] said no. Guess it's a pick between SAIC and Pratt. Any opinions? I'm leaning towards Pratt.

for design, I would go with Pratt. And being in NYC is a major plus, but even without that I would still go with Pratt.

Hi,

I got accepted to Parsons and Montclair University (MFA Fine Arts programs)

which one is better? Which one would you choose?

I'd like to know your opinions...

Thanks in advance!

hands down I would choose Parsons. Their teachers are amazing, they really care about you personally. And I think it's more interdisciplinary, I don't know how much of that you would want. I don't know that much about Montclair but I know Parsons is amazing for Fine Arts.

Just FYI guys,

I got a financial aid package from CCA in the mail today. They offered me a scholarship and a work-study (which I believe is a TAship) but not full-ride. They also gave me student loan info in the same packet.

did anyone else hear back from SAIC FVNMA?

this is gonna be a tough week for those of us still waiting.

may the odds be eva in your favor!

NO!! Gahh it's killing me! And yes good luck!! Do you think they heard by letter? Because I saw awhile back that SAIC was calling ppl too because admissions was backed up. But I think they were on spring break last week, so lets hope for this week!!

did anyone else hear back from SAIC FVNMA?

this is gonna be a tough week for those of us still waiting.

may the odds be eva in your favor!

So tough. Hope the odds are good for you nfrog!

NO!! Gahh it's killing me! And yes good luck!! Do you think they heard by letter? Because I saw awhile back that SAIC was calling ppl too because admissions was backed up. But I think they were on spring break last week, so lets hope for this week!!

oh spring break, I didn't even think about that. but yea I get the impression that SAICdo things by snail mail, even though somebody got an acceptance by email for FVNM in the results survey. http://thegradcafe.com/survey/index.php?q=saic.

so theres really no knowing.

good luck to you too!! ahh this is my last chance. i've suddenly become very religious these past couple of weeks :P

Hey guys, i would like to get in touch with anyone who is going to PRATT for MS or MFA Communications Design. It would be gr8 to know each other. Also, i would like to know where do students preferably stay while at pratt?? on campus or off campus?? what are the good off campus options?? how is it to stay in brooklyn?? Look forward for some responses :)

Edited by hrishi

I'm almost scared to ask you how did you find out...Did they notify you or did you contact them? (and what are you applying for ?)

I just received a letter from RISD saying im waitlisted....I called them to ask about my place in the waiting list but they wouldnt tell me. I have to wait till april 15th when all the admitted students make their decisions...I'm applying for painting.