MFA 2012 All Art ADMISSIONS freak-out forum!!!!!!!!

ellsworthy

Has anyone heard from UTK painting? I thought I was out of the running when my application was temporarily halted at the graduate school, and my materials finally made it to the art school a couple weeks ago. (I applied before the financial aid deadline). When I called the art school, they said "not many decisions have been made for painting."

Any thoughts on the MFA in Design and Technology from Parsons Vs. the MFA in interaction design from SVA?

I was accepted to both programs and am having a hard time deciding.

I like the program at SVA much more, but Parsons offered me a pretty generous scholarship

I will probably be attending the Parsons program. I'm really attracted to the focus on social justice/public engagement that the new school seems to apply to every program. Normally I'd say go with the money since both are great programs, but the fact that you say "much more" makes me think you might regret going to Parsons if it's that clear to you that SVA is a better fit. Maybe tell SVA that Parsons gave you money and that you really want to attend SVA but you're not sure if you can make that decision financially. This depends on your financial situation obviously, but I probably wouldn't worry *too* much about the money. Unlike other MFA programs, you probably won't have too much trouble finding a job in your field after this one. Where are you from? Can you visit NYC easily?\

As a 21 year old (will be 22 by the fall) I will probably be one of the youngest persons at Parsons. Not completely sure how I feel about that.

Edited by minderbinder22

First off: CONGRATULATIONS to all the acceptances in the past few days! Everyone should be so proud that their hard work paid off.

Secondly: guys, check your spam blocker! LSU had emailed me 3 weeks ago to let me know I was their top candidate, but my gmail spam blocker ate it, and I only just found out when I sent them an email asking for a decision date.

And call the shit out of their contact numbers, it's what they're there for. Just be mindful that it is around spring break for some schools.

Also, for those stuck between multiple acceptances, ask for a grad alum contact number and give them a call. It can really help to get an additional perspective from someone who actually went through the same program.

I find it kind of amazing that some schools really do not have their act together. I've had interviewers tell me that they are going to recommend me for acceptance and then I hear nothing from the school for many weeks. I've been accepted to some schools only to have them go silent regarding TA positions and funding telling me that they will get around to it when then can. One school accepted me via letter but not a single person has called to say hi - no interview, no congrats, no personal contact at all. It is like these schools think they are the only one you applied to.

Contrast the above with a school that was the first to admit me - weeks before any other school. I got a call from the dept. chair stating that he loved the work and hope that I choose his school. A few days letter I get a letter of acceptance with full details on TA position and funding. A few days after that I get another letter congratulating me, from the graduate office. Two weeks later more information about accepting the offer and other concerns. I've had a full ride plus stipend offer from this school for about a month and yet other schools still have had little to no contact.

Guess which behaviors foster warm feelings about a school? Guess which behaviors cause me to think some schools really don't care that much about the students or the program?

In case anyone else hasn't heard from Rutgers, I emailed them today and was informed I was wait listed. So, if you have not been rejected yet, then you probably are too. To anyone accepted who already knows you won't be going I beg you to please tell them soon lol!

On a side note, I am about to ride into the city for my NYU interview. Hopefully that goes smooth.

Yeah, go with CMU! You would really like it there from what I can gather...

Many thanks! Yes, I have been very excited, and no small part lucky, by my offers and have decided to go to UCLA. Sent my paperwork in and am ready to roll! I had a hard time declining UChicago. I really like the people there and that new Logan Arts Center is to die for...that will be a "heavy hitter" program in the next 10 years.

Congratulations! I'm sure it's nice to already have had made your decision and just focus on the future. UCLA is amazing so I'm sure you will excel. You're right, there is a great deal of luck, but don't sell yourself short because obviously you put together a stellar portfolio. If I end up applying next year I'm fairly sure I'll give UChicago a shot.

Congratulations! I'm sure it's nice to already have had made your decision and just focus on the future. UCLA is amazing so I'm sure you will excel. You're right, there is a great deal of luck, but don't sell yourself short because obviously you put together a stellar portfolio. If I end up applying next year I'm fairly sure I'll give UChicago a shot.

Thanks Tysonr2!! Best of luck with the NYU interview...and yeah, if you end up applying again, seriously consider UChicago for sure. I'm a huge fan.

I was waitlisted at SAIC for Photo. Received the letter this past Monday 3/19.

I'm still thinking about whether the program is right for me and if I want to spend that much on an MFA. So being waitlisted kind of works for me right now.

I've learned so much the application process and from this forum. Thanks everyone for sharing your experiences!

I find it kind of amazing that some schools really do not have their act together. I've had interviewers tell me that they are going to recommend me for acceptance and then I hear nothing from the school for many weeks. I've been accepted to some schools only to have them go silent regarding TA positions and funding telling me that they will get around to it when then can. One school accepted me via letter but not a single person has called to say hi - no interview, no congrats, no personal contact at all. It is like these schools think they are the only one you applied to.

Contrast the above with a school that was the first to admit me - weeks before any other school. I got a call from the dept. chair stating that he loved the work and hope that I choose his school. A few days letter I get a letter of acceptance with full details on TA position and funding. A few days after that I get another letter congratulating me, from the graduate office. Two weeks later more information about accepting the offer and other concerns. I've had a full ride plus stipend offer from this school for about a month and yet other schools still have had little to no contact.

Guess which behaviors foster warm feelings about a school? Guess which behaviors cause me to think some schools really don't care that much about the students or the program?

Amen, brother.

Interviewed with SAIC for the post-bac. Went very well, liked my answers and thought my work was strong. Won't know til late April if I'm accepted, but I am going to seriously consider it. I am starting to see some real benefits to a one year stint in a graduate environment.

I completely agree. I just sent out a slew of emails asking for more competitive funding (might as well try), and while I'm making my pros/cons chart o' schools I realized that only a few of my acceptances have really tried to form an early relationship with me via multiple emails/phone calls.

One has already sent me a guide to housing in the city and local bike paths! :)

Don't they realize how charmed a desperate and needy applicant will be to receive personalized update emails? The bike path map wooed me especially.

Alright, officially turned down BU! For some reason I half thought they would yell at me, like I'd cheated on them by applying to other schools. They didn't, though.

Well, on the way to the NYU interview I got the Bard rejection email. Was not a good way to go into an interview. I thought it went well though, but then again I thought the Bard one did too! Fingers crossed.