MFA 2012 All Art ADMISSIONS freak-out forum!!!!!!!!

ellsworthy

I have not heard of anyone getting news that they were rejected yet from RISD Printmaking. The people who have been accepted have been told. I emailed Andrew Raftery to find out my status and he told me that I was waitlisted.

I called Tyler today and they said they would have their Printmaking decisions out by the end of next week.

Thanks for the heads-up! Any news is good news at this point

You made me feel better about not getting full-funding. I also received an email that SFAI is going to let me attend one of their graduate critiques when I am visiting. I know that it will help me decide everything.

And the way I interpreted what you were saying that anywhere besides RISD and Yale are NOT worth borrowing money to go to. I feel like this is very defeating to most of us, or at least to me. Your saying that schools, like MICA, CMU, SAIC, etc, which are REALLY good schools are not worth going to if they don't pay your way for you. I'm leaning toward going to SFAI , but I will have to borrow money to do so, because I don't want to pass up an opportunity that I probably won't receive again. And yes, I am 30 years old.

Plus, if we wanted to make the BIG BUCKS, I think most of us would not be getting into this field. I think we would have sacrificed our happiness to make money and we would be applying for MBA, etc. programs. I've been doing research about the loans, and the income-based repayment options sounds pretty reasonable. I'm really lucky and have only borrowed money from the Dept of Education so interest rates are always regulated.

I'm sorry. I did not mean to offend anyone or to imply that I think it is only worth borrowing for RISD and Yale. For myself, I don't think borrowing for a program ranked in the 15 to 50+ range makes a lot of sense because there are many programs in that range that provide a good deal of money. Of course you have to apply for them and they are still very competitive. For a really top drawer program then borrowing may be worth it for the doors that it opens. BUT... it is an awful lot of money for a degree that may not translate into meaningful employment. But my situation is very different being that I'm a lot older than 99% of you.

I just recommend that people think carefully about those big loans that may dog you for many decades. It is just a very long term car payment. As long as your eyes are open to the cost and financial sacrifice, then go for it.

I've worked for decades in industries that I had no passion for. Following your dreams is a really good idea if you want happiness in your life. Happiness is better than an unfullfilling and stressful high paying corporate job any day. If you have to take out big loans for that happiness then go for it. Nobody really needs a new car. A fine education, even if you have to borrow for it, is much better than a new car and the monthly payment is about the same.

Edited by Fool4nine

Congrats on having made your decision Outwest!!! and good luck to those who have yale interviews coming up. ... but i'm in the alps, skiing for a few days, so no one should feel sorry for me :)

Keep up the good spirit everyone!

Thanks kazoo, you're a sweetheart as always :) And, I am jealous of your Alps skiing experience...I am a hard core snowboarder and one of my dreams is to ride Saas-Fee for, oh, a month straight :)

Edited by OutWest

hi everyone,

have been relatively quiet on here.

am very fortunate to have some great options.

but totally torn:

art center MDM vs RISD D+M vs parsons transdesign vs CCA interaction design vs. pratt comD

(still waiting SVA DSI and RCA design interactions)

help?!

i do anthropology+writing+design, interested in design for social innovation

Hi everyone, I haven't posted since we were all submitting our apps (oh how far we've come!) but I've checked in every so often - which has been great!

I'm trying to decide between SAIC Sculpture and CalArts (possibly Hunter or CMU when I hear back), what are your thoughts?

I live in CA now and am not thrilled about moving to chicago, but their facilities, ranking, teaching opportunity and reputation are really exciting! although a few colleagues of mine didn't speak that highly of the school - which shocked me, is there something i don't know?!

Hi everyone, I haven't posted since we were all submitting our apps (oh how far we've come!) but I've checked in every so often - which has been great!

I'm trying to decide between SAIC Sculpture and CalArts (possibly Hunter or CMU when I hear back), what are your thoughts?

I live in CA now and am not thrilled about moving to chicago, but their facilities, ranking, teaching opportunity and reputation are really exciting! although a few colleagues of mine didn't speak that highly of the school - which shocked me, is there something i don't know?!

Have you been out to Chicago to visit the school? If not, possibly this could help you gain a better understanding of what you may be in store for. I can't tell you how it is because I've never been there. Although a visit doesn't tell you how the program is ran or how it will be when you're actually enrolled, it can provide one with some better insight on the over feel of the school, faculty, and students.

Did u get accepted by calarts today?

Did u get accepted by calarts today?

i was accepted a week ago maybe? but it was the Art+Tech program..

Have you been out to Chicago to visit the school? If not, possibly this could help you gain a better understanding of what you may be in store for. I can't tell you how it is because I've never been there. Although a visit doesn't tell you how the program is ran or how it will be when you're actually enrolled, it can provide one with some better insight on the over feel of the school, faculty, and students.

yea, i did visit - the program is impressive. i was just thrown by what i heard, thought there was maybe something i didn't know?

If their shops and tools are good, you get teaching experience and they are offering money it sounds like a great deal.

You can make anything happen with that.

I've also heard great things about MICA (Rhinehart) from alum .

They might be talking about the overtly business feel of SAIC, because of its size, cost and PR. Thats its biggest problem for me. If none of those bother you, then go for it. Plus getting money from SAIC about impossible, so you know that the faculty are already really into your work. If you want to give me a call to get more info, just PM me.

I dont know much about Cal. schools even though I was born there, I had one professor that got his MFA from SAIC and also taught there and he still loved the school. He was one of the best professor's I had besides my Painting Prof. who graduated MFA Yale. My favorite teachers have been the ones with the most prestigious degrees. I don't think that is coincidence. I saw that you got accepted to MICA that is the only school I applied to besides SMU. I will be attending there because I liked the Multi-disciplinary approach. I am a much older student who has worked as a builder for many years. My approach and view might be different. It looks like you have great options good luck!

Itsem: you have to take things you read on this forum very carefully(with a huge grain of salt, sometimes). I do respect everyone's opinion here, including "fool4nine's", but each of our situation's is different, and the decision about paying, expecting a free ride, how much $$ to borrow should be based not on one or another person’s opinion exclusively.

Yes, as I mentioned in a previous post, I was a bit jealous of the folks getting a "full ride", but my reasoning for not worrying about how much debt I'll pile up is in part because I truly believe in my work.Not to the extent that I'll make it big in the art world; That's not and never has been my goal, I just want to partner with a gallery someday that will help get my work to the people that will appreciate it.

I'm counting on being a very competitive candidate for a decent teaching position once I finish my MFA. I'm basing that on a very strong portfolio and on 10 years classroom experience teaching at the community college level. I also have 10 years experience teaching as a freelance instructor for the most important museum where I live.

Another reason, is the fact that I'm already represented by an agent in NYC that only works with high caliber artists that have been awarded the Pollock-Krasner and Guggenhein fellowships and almost 100% of them have an MFA. I've made pretty decent money since this past summer with my undergrad school work.

And to me the work that got me into grad school is on its infancy. I know it will be way stronger after these next two years.

Last but not least, the things I've researched recently at Claremont have really blown me away: the work of the painting faculty is right on the line of the work I've been investigating, besides I dig the work of every single one of the painting/art faculty; their Chair is a critic that writes weekly for Culture Monster (the LA times art review section), the studios are awesome, private and big... The school is 35 miles east of the LA gallery scene and all visiting artists (monthly) are represented by major LA galleries.

So that's the school that is totally out of the rankings (out of the three that accepted me) but at this point, the one that's most attractive to me for the reasons I've been posting so far (also they are the most expensive and giving me the least scholarship help).

I shared all this stuff, so the students that are contemplating doing what I'm doing (or feeling bad about no "full ride") see that I'm not just going on an irresponsible, roll of the dice, adventure. Because of my age and the fact that I have lots of experience both as a teacher and as an artist, I feel good about this Fall regardless of how much money I'll have to borrow to complete my MFA.

I agree with Ol' Spice. I am also an older student and I am not really worried about the money. I have learned how to make money. I believe the best degrees will get you the best education and aid you in producing the best work. The most successful professor's and artist's I know came from top schools.

Snail mail rejection from USC. *sigh* Apparently I was not one of the mythological 8.

For me, it looks like it's going to boil down to a choice between Rutgers, which is a better program or Iowa/SUNY Buffalo who is offering me a tremendous amount of funding. Honestly I think Rutgers will help me more with my work and my career in the long run, but it's hard to turn down such generous offers. The RU deadline is April 2nd, so I have this coming week to decide and get lots of advice.

This is going to be an agonizing decision.

I feel your pain...

Snail mail rejection from USC. *sigh* Apparently I was not one of the mythological 8.

For me, it looks like it's going to boil down to a choice between Rutgers, which is a better program or Iowa/SUNY Buffalo who is offering me a tremendous amount of funding. Honestly I think Rutgers will help me more with my work and my career in the long run, but it's hard to turn down such generous offers. The RU deadline is April 2nd, so I have this coming week to decide and get lots of advice.

This is going to be an agonizing decision.

But did you send an application to Anine for the TA'ship/ scholarship funding? They haven't decided on those yet right. There's still hope no?

I'm sorry. I did not mean to offend anyone or to imply that I think it is only worth borrowing for RISD and Yale. For myself, I don't think borrowing for a program ranked in the 15 to 50+ range makes a lot of sense because there are many programs in that range that provide a good deal of money. Of course you have to apply for them and they are still very competitive. For a really top drawer program then borrowing may be worth it for the doors that it opens. BUT... it is an awful lot of money for a degree that may not translate into meaningful employment. But my situation is very different being that I'm a lot older than 99% of you.

I just recommend that people think carefully about those big loans that may dog you for many decades. It is just a very long term car payment. As long as your eyes are open to the cost and financial sacrifice, then go for it.

I've worked for decades in industries that I had no passion for. Following your dreams is a really good idea if you want happiness in your life. Happiness is better than an unfullfilling and stressful high paying corporate job any day. If you have to take out big loans for that happiness then go for it. Nobody really needs a new car. A fine education, even if you have to borrow for it, is much better than a new car and the monthly payment is about the same.

All this talk of borrowing, loans, "full-rides" have put me somewhat edge. I know that it is due to the heavy task of deciding if the debt is worth it. At this point for me, i have an opportunity to what makes me really happy (getting out of the current city I live in is one of them). In many ways, it feels like now or never, there are many factors where if I don't seize an opportunity now, another will not come along. Plus, life it just way too short to not act on a chance to change your life. I mentor of mine was accepted to Yale, but turned it down because another school offered him a full-ride, and wonders where he could be if he took that acceptance, but he told me, "Education is priceless"

I am at the point (due to outside factors) it's either take out the loans now and go to school, or don't go to school at all. I know for a fact that I have had too many people (outside of the art world) giving me their two cents about education, grad school, loans, stipends, etc. And I know that it will only be me carrying the weight of my own decisions. I know that a career in art is that path that I want to take, and if that means that I'll have an extra "car payment" every month, then it is mine to make. (I want to move somewhere I don't need a car anyway).

But I do really appreciate everyone's comments about their thoughts about the money factor in all of this, I definitely feel that having multiple perspectives lets me make a more educated decision especially from people who are pursuing the same path as me.

But did you send an application to Anine for the TA'ship/ scholarship funding? They haven't decided on those yet right. There's still hope no?

Yes, I sent in my letter. I think we all might get some funding from RU, but I'm not sure how much. And I don't think it will be as much as I was offered at some other places. *sigh*

Hey averyplague, when did you hear from SAIC sculpture? I'm still waiting, and that interview has been ages ago..

SAIC Art & Technology - Accepted

SAIC Sculpture - Interview 3/3, waiting

Columbia New Genres - waiting

Hey averyplague, when did you hear from SAIC sculpture? I'm still waiting, and that interview has been ages ago..

SAIC Art & Technology - Accepted

SAIC Sculpture - Interview 3/3, waiting

Columbia New Genres - waiting

i received a phone call a little less than a week ago. a letter arrived shortly after.

good luck!

snapback.pngmiyamoto81, on 23 March 2012 - 06:21 PM, said:

Snail mail rejection from USC. *sigh* Apparently I was not one of the mythological 8....

You know, I'm still trying to rack my brain as to why that program gets so much attention...sure, it's in LA...sure, it has a couple excellent Profs...but there are a ton of schools out there that have similar people and get 1/10th the love...I visited the Open House, and people seemed to talk about how much the Pixie Dust flowed through the air around there, but, quite frankly, I thought the program was 'meh'...at least for an interdisciplinary person such as myself...

Edited by OutWest

Snail mail rejection from USC. *sigh* Apparently I was not one of the mythological 8....

You know, I'm still trying to rack my brain as to why that program gets so much attention...sure, it's in LA...sure, it has a couple excellent Profs...but there are a ton of schools out there that have similar people and get 1/10th the love...I visited the Open House, and people seemed to talk about how much the Pixie Dust flowed through the air around there, but, quite frankly, I thought the program was 'meh'...at least for an interdisciplinary person such as myself...

For me, it was more of a funding issue, i.e. a good program that was free in LA. I'm sure that's why they get so many applicants. I didn't make it to the west coast to physically look at schools, so I couldn't get a visceral feel for the place itself. But you know, there are a lot worse things in life than going to a grad program in LA for free for 2 years. :)

Word. It does make art stars, but they all seem to be very, for lack of a better term, vanilla haha Plus one current student has been in a Whitney Biennial. It seems to be a place where artists who are already pretty well known go to get even more well known. & hang out/collaborate w each other & the faculty.