MFA 2012 All Art ADMISSIONS freak-out forum!!!!!!!!

ellsworthy

Congrats on having made your decision Outwest!!! and good luck to those who have yale interviews coming up. Also sympatico, i had a great postbac experience, as did most everyone with me, so i'm glad you are considering it and i hope it works out!

Nothing new on my front, but i'm in the alps, skiing for a few days, so no one should feel sorry for me :)

Keep up the good spirit everyone!

FINALLY-

Accepted, Tyler School of Art!!!!!!

YEEEEEAAAAHHHHHH

Congratulations noahfur!! That's very exciting. Tyler was my undergrad, and I have only positive things to say about it. Which department?

I just got accepted to Bard after being rejected from 11 other schools (this round and last round). So I guess getting rejected a bunch of times doesn't mean you'll keep getting rejected forever.

Best of luck to everyone.

Congratulations! And, thanks for the perspective.

Hey noahfur, congrats!!

How did you hear?

Congratulations noahfur!! That's very exciting. Tyler was my undergrad, and I have only positive things to say about it. Which department?

Painting Dept., Found out via email yesterday afternoon. God I am so happy- Tyler is my first choice.

Rejection from USC, which was completely expected. My only hopes are getting off the waitlist at SVA or hearing something from VCU (which may be a pipe dream as they may interview everyone they accept? I'm not sure).

Congratulations to everyone getting amazing acceptances at this point!! I'm so happy for all you guys! and it gives me hope that things aren't over yet.

And I also wanna add I'm soooo grateful for these forums and for all all of you on here. I would be in a fetal position crying if i hadn't discovered this. I've already started making plans for next year and ways to improve my portfolio.

does anyone know if I can contact the schools and ask them to keep my letters of recommendation in my file? cuz I got super awesome ones and I don't wanna lose them for when I apply again next year.

Congratulations to everyone getting amazing acceptances at this point!! I'm so happy for all you guys! and it gives me hope that things aren't over yet.

And I also wanna add I'm soooo grateful for these forums and for all all of you on here. I would be in a fetal position crying if i hadn't discovered this. I've already started making plans for next year and ways to improve my portfolio.

does anyone know if I can contact the schools and ask them to keep my letters of recommendation in my file? cuz I got super awesome ones and I don't wanna lose them for when I apply again next year.

I agree, so grateful for this forum.

And yes! If you are reapplying to the same schools, send admissions an email, many will keep recommendation (and transcripts) from one year to the next if you ask them to.

You will probably have to send them a reminder when they are putting your app together.

I just called SVA to inquire about my application. They said the decision was made and the Office of Graduate Admissions has my file. They just need to send the decision. It kills me that they won't tell me over the phone.

did anyone else apply to the Art Practice program at SVA? Even if I get in, i think I"ll go to my other options, but it seems kind of crazy that they haven't sent decisions and the program starts in June.

did anyone else apply to the Art Practice program at SVA? Even if I get in, i think I"ll go to my other options, but it seems kind of crazy that they haven't sent decisions and the program starts in June.

The communication (or lack thereof) at SVA has been heinous. For me, anyway.

Edited by ReallyTall

I totally agree with you... We are probably applying during some of the most competitive times, every single rejection letter stated that, (+lots of people unemployed, therefore going back to school makes perfect sense) and when there is little money/funding available to many of the schools... Having said that, I told myself that if I got accepted into at least one of the schools I applied, that I was going to do this no matter what (even if I have to take out loans for every penny of my MFA). I confess I was a bit jealous of the folks here that got full tuition remission + stipend. Congratulations to all of you! And even though I'm comparing the offers I've gotten, $$$ alone will not be the deciding factor for me... I'm really excited about my options and I'm totally looking forward to this Fall.

You made me feel better about not getting full-funding. I also received an email that SFAI is going to let me attend one of their graduate critiques when I am visiting. I know that it will help me decide everything.

If you are young and can stomach a 25-year car-payment-sized student loan payment, and get into a top 3 through 5 program then perhaps big loans are not terribly bad. But I'm not sure it makes much sense to borrow $80K-$100K for a lower ranked program or for those closer to say age 30 or more. That big student loan payment may make qualifying for a home loan really difficult unless you are sure your present or future spouse is always going to bring in good money. What happens when kids come along and your spouse isn't working and you've still got that those student loan payments, plus a car payment or two, plus a mortgage, plus credit card debts, etc? I guess there is always food stamps so you won't starve. Oh... but I forgot that you are going to make it big in the art world... never mind... borrow it all. :)

There is around 20 or so programs that are low cost or no cost. If I got into Yale or RISD then perhaps I'd borrow for the privilege, but I'm thrilled that I'm going to be paid to study and make art for three years. I found out that besides the best medical/dental/vision insurance coverage I've ever seen, OSU also has retirement pension plan that TA's qualify for. I can have 10% of my stipend but into it and OSU adds 14%. I can roll it into another plan if I don't stay in Ohio after graduation. Other state schools may have similar benefits that small private schools cannot match. It's something to consider verses being crippled with debt.

And the way I interpreted what you were saying that anywhere besides RISD and Yale are NOT worth borrowing money to go to. I feel like this is very defeating to most of us, or at least to me. Your saying that schools, like MICA, CMU, SAIC, etc, which are REALLY good schools are not worth going to if they don't pay your way for you. I'm leaning toward going to SFAI , but I will have to borrow money to do so, because I don't want to pass up an opportunity that I probably won't receive again. And yes, I am 30 years old.

Plus, if we wanted to make the BIG BUCKS, I think most of us would not be getting into this field. I think we would have sacrificed our happiness to make money and we would be applying for MBA, etc. programs. I've been doing research about the loans, and the income-based repayment options sounds pretty reasonable. I'm really lucky and have only borrowed money from the Dept of Education so interest rates are always regulated.

You made me feel better about not getting full-funding. I also received an email that SFAI is going to let me attend one of their graduate critiques when I am visiting. I know that it will help me decide everything.

And the way I interpreted what you were saying that anywhere besides RISD and Yale are NOT worth borrowing money to go to. I feel like this is very defeating to most of us, or at least to me. Your saying that schools, like MICA, CMU, SAIC, etc, which are REALLY good schools are not worth going to if they don't pay your way for you. I'm leaning toward going to SFAI , but I will have to borrow money to do so, because I don't want to pass up an opportunity that I probably won't receive again. And yes, I am 30 years old.

Plus, if we wanted to make the BIG BUCKS, I think most of us would not be getting into this field. I think we would have sacrificed our happiness to make money and we would be applying for MBA, etc. programs. I've been doing research about the loans, and the income-based repayment options sounds pretty reasonable. I'm really lucky and have only borrowed money from the Dept of Education so interest rates are always regulated.

This. Don't get me wrong, money is a big thing for, well, everyone. The world operates on it. If you get accepted into the program you want and you know your work will flourish there, then go for it! It's a lot better than only following the money around. I mean, if we were all dead set on earnings tons of money, we probably wouldn't have chosen art as a profession. Funding is nice and should factor somewhat into your decision, but basing your entire decision on it seems silly. Especially since most of those really big name schools hardly offer 100% tuition coverage.

Given the state of the economy, many, many people are putting off working in the real world in favor of extra education. They hope it will give them a more competitive edge when they do finally graduate. While they would (probably) be right, you're now competing against one of the largest pools for tertiary education ever. If you get into a big-name school or even your dream program, I say go for it if it's within reason.

I wish SVA would reject me so I can finally have this process over with! This lack of information is killing me. I was vaguely told over the phone that letters and emails were sent out on different dates, but a friend got accepted into the same major as me on Monday via email, so I suppose I have to assume the worst.

I wish SVA would reject me so I can finally have this process over with! This lack of information is killing me. I was vaguely told over the phone that letters and emails were sent out on different dates, but a friend got accepted into the same major as me on Monday via email, so I suppose I have to assume the worst.

Roughly the same for me. I've seen at least one other accepted into the major I applied to. I called today and they said they are processing them and they're "almost done" so I can only imagine they're still picking. However, they did tell me that my decision was ready and now the office of graduate admission has to send it out because they won't tell me over the phone.

Itsem: you have to take things you read on this forum very carefully(with a huge grain of salt, sometimes). I do respect everyone's opinion here, including "fool4nine's", but each of our situation's is different, and the decision about paying, expecting a free ride, how much $$ to borrow should be based not on one or another person’s opinion exclusively.

Yes, as I mentioned in a previous post, I was a bit jealous of the folks getting a "full ride", but my reasoning for not worrying about how much debt I'll pile up is in part because I truly believe in my work.Not to the extent that I'll make it big in the art world; That's not and never has been my goal, I just want to partner with a gallery someday that will help get my work to the people that will appreciate it.

I'm counting on being a very competitive candidate for a decent teaching position once I finish my MFA. I'm basing that on a very strong portfolio and on 10 years classroom experience teaching at the community college level. I also have 10 years experience teaching as a freelance instructor for the most important museum where I live.

Another reason, is the fact that I'm already represented by an agent in NYC that only works with high caliber artists that have been awarded the Pollock-Krasner and Guggenhein fellowships and almost 100% of them have an MFA. I've made pretty decent money since this past summer with my undergrad school work.

And to me the work that got me into grad school is on its infancy. I know it will be way stronger after these next two years.

Last but not least, the things I've researched recently at Claremont have really blown me away: the work of the painting faculty is right on the line of the work I've been investigating, besides I dig the work of every single one of the painting/art faculty; their Chair is a critic that writes weekly for Culture Monster (the LA times art review section), the studios are awesome, private and big... The school is 35 miles east of the LA gallery scene and all visiting artists (monthly) are represented by major LA galleries.

So that's the school that is totally out of the rankings (out of the three that accepted me) but at this point, the one that's most attractive to me for the reasons I've been posting so far (also they are the most expensive and giving me the least scholarship help).

I shared all this stuff, so the students that are contemplating doing what I'm doing (or feeling bad about no "full ride") see that I'm not just going on an irresponsible, roll of the dice, adventure. Because of my age and the fact that I have lots of experience both as a teacher and as an artist, I feel good about this Fall regardless of how much money I'll have to borrow to complete my MFA.

Edited by ol'spice

Do state universities accept international students? I am under the impression that private schools are more open to internationals.

not true. could be true, but not from my experience. I got my undergrad from a state school (a huge amount of students were commuters too), and almost 20% of our students were international

Hi guys just another "anything can happen story" I was initially rejected from UCSB wayyy back in January informally by email, well I was contacted just now and told I am actually on a waitlist. I wasnt their first round pick so I may not move off the waitlist--but there u go

Rejection to waitlist! Anything can happen.

Hi guys just another "anything can happen story" I was initially rejected from UCSB wayyy back in January informally by email, well I was contacted just now and told I am actually on a waitlist. I wasnt their first round pick so I may not move off the waitlist--but there u go

Rejection to waitlist! Anything can happen.

good luck, I hope you get in!