What are you reading?

misterpat

I just finished The Red Prince by Timothy Snyder. I am also reading Lolita and an array of articles on Ukraine. I should probably find another lighter book to read as well that would keep me better distracted, but so far Lolita has been engaging.

I just finished The Red Prince by Timothy Snyder. I am also reading Lolita and an array of articles on Ukraine. I should probably find another lighter book to read as well that would keep me better distracted, but so far Lolita has been engaging.

Doesn't it make you positively feel creepy though? I'm just so torn because it uses such beautiful writing to describe something so vile. I don't want to read articles on it until I finish it so I don't taint my own initial impression, though.

Zizek - Violence (can only read 5-10 pages in one sitting, so I read it on the bus every day)

Ahh, violence is one of zizek's best (though definitely not one of his more rigorous). I particularly love his discussion of divine violence.

• 10 months later...

Just finished reading Leigh Eric Schmidt's Heaven's Bride: The Unprintable Life of Ida C. Craddock, American Mystic, Scholar, Sexologist, Martyr, and Madwoman. It was wonderful--I highly recommend it. I just started Alan Taylor's The Civil War of 1812: American Citizens, British Subjects, Irish Rebels, and Indian Allies.

My guilty pleasure--especially when I am trying to take my mind off of application woes--is a Jack Reacher Novel. I think I have read half of them now.

"Blood Meridian" by Cormac McCarthy, as well as Jeff Smith's "Bone" graphic novels (great) and the "Spawn" comic book series (crap but kind of fun). I just finished "The Passage" by Justin Cronin, which is like Stephen King's "The Stand" with vampires--really enjoyed it. And of course, many papers and books toward my thesis (due in a few months). And this forum--way more than necessary!

"Blood Meridian" by Cormac McCarthy, as well as Jeff Smith's "Bone" graphic novels (great) and the "Spawn" comic book series (crap but kind of fun). I just finished "The Passage" by Justin Cronin, which is like Stephen King's "The Stand" with vampires--really enjoyed it. And of course, many papers and books toward my thesis (due in a few months). And this forum--way more than necessary!

I saw that you were the most recent poster in this thread, and as I was opening it up I was (jokingly) thinking, "I bet he's reading stuff about vampires and darkness, or maybe Bach. Vampires love toccatas and fugues."

Well, I was half-right.

I'm supposed to be reading L'Emploi du temps by Butor, and a book about folk lit in Arabic, but instead I've been rereading Camus (La Chute and L'Etranger). I've just bought new books last months, but I promised myself I won't read them during finals! I'm supposed to, you know, study. :(

I'm reading The Jungle by Upton Sinclair and The Bottom Billion by Paul Collier.

And when I'm really depressed, I re-read the Twilight series. I am 30, married, own a home, and have a 2 YO and I love these books. I have all four movies on my ipad as well. It's an addiction, I know.

Edited by NadaJ

I'm reading for an honors research essay to be written in the spring on William Livingston. However, I'm also trying to reintroduce a bit of "pleasure reading" at least over this break. For that, I have Confessions of a Philosopher by Bryan Magee, which I have already read but am enjoying for a second time, and a novel called Fight For Your Day, a comedic (but somewhat tragic) "day-in-the-life" of an adjunct teaching Comp 101 at 4 schools Pennsylvania.

I'm currently reading The Men with the Pink Triangle: The True Life-and-Death Story of Homosexuals in the Nazi Death Camps by Heinz Heger. I'm also about to start Freaks Talk Back: Tabloid Talk Shows and Sexual Nonconformity by Joshua Gamson and Out of the Closets: The Sociology of Homosexual Liberation by Laud Humphreys. After I *hopefully* get accepted somewhere, I plan to start reading a great deal of sociology theory.

I saw that you were the most recent poster in this thread, and as I was opening it up I was (jokingly) thinking, "I bet he's reading stuff about vampires and darkness, or maybe Bach. Vampires love toccatas and fugues."

Well, I was half-right.

LOL. I promise I'm not as gothic as all that, you just caught me when all the constellations were aligned...The Passage, Blood Meridian, Spawn, and Bone (at least its title) make quite a collection. I do enjoy a good Bach fugue (or Bach anything, really). I need some optimistic suggestions before I sink into my coffin for good...

I'm currently reading both Sue Grafton's Kinsey Milhone series and Tess Geritsen's Rizzoli and Isles series on my Nook.

I'm also reading Jim Butcher's Codex Alera series.

Oh, and whatever I need to read for my thesis revisions. Joy.

Currently reading Brave New World, by Aldous Huxley (I'm sure you all knew that), and Absalom, Absalom!, Faulkner. I just finished Salman Rushdie's Shame for the second time, and would highly recommend it.

Edited by Meg11