Official Admitted Thread

Can anyone speak in an informed way about what a 'deposit' entails? I'm on the waitlist for SAIS (sad face), and contemplating a scenario where I accept at another school, pay a deposit, and then am offered a spot off the WL.

Generally this is $500 towards your first year's tuition, non-refundable. It will guarantee you a spot at one of your other schools, but you aren't obliged to pay the rest of that years tuition if you end up getting in off the WL. You'll also probably have to pay the deposit if you decide to defer.

So far I've been accepted to GW ESIA and the IR program at NYU GSAS. Rejected from Yale, SIPA, and LBJ and waiting to hear back from Georgetown SFS.

Can anyone comment on the MA program in IR at NYU? Reputation? Job placement prospects? There doesn't seem to be a whole lot of information online about NYU's program. I'm leaning towards ESIA at the moment but NYU was also a top choice, given that its location NYC would provide access to a number of international organizations (i.e. UN, etc.), not to mention my desire to stay in New York. GW is tempting in its own right simply because it seems like all of these opportunities would be at my fingertips there (State Dept., DoD, World Bank, think tanks, etc.).

SIPA, come on already!

Anyone got advice on choosing between SAIS IDEV, GPPI and U Chic? I have a full tuition scholarship at U Chic and the rest are TBD. Interested in International Development & Urbanization Studies.

Me too! I'm waiting on both as well.

Wagner sent a couple emails regarding their ranking and career expo and I literally jumped out of bed when my phone beeped with a "Wagner admissions" email. Seriously dude. they have to stop sending the unnecessary emails and just get on with the main thing we're all waiting for. haha

I'm in the same boat (waiting for Wagner and USC). I spoke with USC on monday and was told I would receive a decision on my app "within the next week or so." The Wagner website says the 16th so hopefully tomorrow. I received those wagner emails too. I was excited when I saw the little grad school label pop up then mad when I saw what it was about. No admissions emails unless you're sending a decision please.

Good luck folks!!

Edited by Rexbocker828

In at Georgetown MSFS (conditional based on completing an econ course and language course "refresher"). Still can't believe I got in everywhere I applied. Man, my recommenders must have laid it on thick.

In at Georgetown MSFS (conditional based on completing an econ course and language course "refresher"). Still can't believe I got in everywhere I applied. Man, my recommenders must have laid it on thick.

Congrats!! That's super great!

Got a letter (snail mail) this morning from USC. Accepted!

I applied to the MPA program. Submitted my application Dec 15. GPA 3.82, Army Iraq-war veteran, worked in China, a lot of volunteer work, GRE- average at best.

So now the question is- Columbia SIPA or USC? (funding is not an issue, the GI bill is amazing) Still waiting on NYU.

Edited by armychick

In at Ford too. I am convinced it is either very easy to get into policy programs, or everyone on this forum represents the most high-strung, impressive, on-steroids applicants for degree programs for the 2012 school year. I'm rooting for the latter. :)

Got a letter (snail mail) this morning from USC. Accepted!

I applied to the MPA program. Submitted my application Dec 15. GPA 3.82, Army Iraq-war veteran, worked in China, a lot of volunteer work, GRE- average at best.

So now the question is- Columbia SIPA or USC? (funding is not an issue, the GI bill is amazing) Still waiting on NYU.

Congrats! that's great news :)

I'm waiting on USC and Wagner as well.

Did you USC application status page change?

Mine still says "your file has been forwarded to the department".

Did they give you any aid?

Congrats! that's great news :)

I'm waiting on USC and Wagner as well.

Did you USC application status page change?

Mine still says "your file has been forwarded to the department".

Did they give you any aid?

Thank you. My application status page says something along the lines of "We made our decision, your letter will arrive in the mail soon. Please do not contact us because we will not tell you through the phone or email."

The letter didn't have any information about aid. I read prior posts and they said the aid will come in a separate letter. Not sure though?

I'm going to visit both campuses next month to help me make my decision. Right now I'm leaning toward SIPA...

armychick, that really sucks! Why not just tell you? USC doesn't do email notifications?

Unfortunately they don't. I hate how they still do postal mail. It adds an extra 5-6 days for me since I'm international.

Just inform us via email and get it over with.

Thank you. My application status page says something along the lines of "We made our decision, your letter will arrive in the mail soon. Please do not contact us because we will not tell you through the phone or email."

The letter didn't have any information about aid. I read prior posts and they said the aid will come in a separate letter. Not sure though?

I'm going to visit both campuses next month to help me make my decision. Right now I'm leaning toward SIPA...

Yeah the USC funding stuff all comes with your acceptance packet from Price, rather than the Grad school itself - they send one by DHL and one by Fedex, so hopefully you shouldn't have to wait too long between the two.

@armychick, what do you plan to study? SIPA has a great International Security concentration. But you may have moved on from that stuff and shifted your focus elsewhere. I was really impressed when I visited USC with their work in city management and local economic development. That is not where I plan to focus though so I ultimately didn't apply. I would have applied to SIPA but NYC didn't work for my wife.

Anyone know if funding offers have been made by American SPA or GWU Trachtenberg for MPA candidates?

My GW letter said that they wouldn't be able to offer me funding. Also, American said that as of this week the initial round of offers has been made & a second round won't be made until around April 15.