Welcome to the 2012-2013 cycle

Unrelated to Chicago ...

Glad to see your GREs were similar to mine.  169v/158q/4aw.  Gives me hope that I won't immediately be thrown out from consderation.  Sucks, because my writing is generally very strong (in past tests, 5.5+ consistently).

Gives me hope ;)

very similar v & q scores to mine, and i've had a bit of luck so far. and from what i've heard from faculty, the writing section doesn't carry a lot of weight, especially since they have your SOP and writing sample to look at. keep the faith!

very similar v & q scores to mine, and i've had a bit of luck so far. and from what i've heard from faculty, the writing section doesn't carry a lot of weight, especially since they have your SOP and writing sample to look at. keep the faith!

Same here.  I almost didn't apply this cycle because of my low quant score and sub-par AW, but like forestgreen and raptureonfire above, I've had some luck.  In short, your GRE score doesn't define your potential as a graduate student, so don't crucify yourself over it.

Same here.  I almost didn't apply this cycle because of my low quant score and sub-par AW, but like forestgreen and raptureonfire above, I've had some luck.  In short, your GRE score doesn't define your potential as a graduate student, so don't crucify yourself over it.

and a high score doesn't guarantee admission either! 

Congrats to Minnesota-- its a great school! Who are you interested in working with?

Congrats to Minnesota!  I wasn't expecting they'd be done yet.  Was it a generic message, e-mail from professor, or ???

Thanks!  It was a phone call from the Director of Graduate Admissions.  Official offers going out in a couple of days.  Fully funded for 5yrs.  I'm going out to celebrate tonight.  I hope everyone gets great news soon!

and a high score doesn't guarantee admission either! 

Congrats to Minnesota-- its a great school! Who are you interested in working with?

Thanks!  It's one of my top choices!  I hope to work with Nancy Luxon and Antonio Y Vázquez-Arroyo.

Heads up for Vandy applicants. The adcom is meeting again next week(ish) with final decisions being sent out between the middle and end of the month.

for other vandy-applicants: if we aren't contacted for an interview, you think we should assume rejection? do they interview all accepts?

for other vandy-applicants: if we aren't contacted for an interview, you think we should assume rejection? do they interview all accepts?

Precisely what I have been wondering!

The interviews offers have been rolling the past couple weeks so if you haven't heard yet that could be why. They interview everyone on their "short list" before making final decisions. Goal admit class is about 9, but I'm not sure what that says for total admittances.

Edited by mackinCheese

Thanks!  It was a phone call from the Director of Graduate Admissions.  Official offers going out in a couple of days.  Fully funded for 5yrs.  I'm going out to celebrate tonight.  I hope everyone gets great news soon!

Well than I guess I should be hoping for a phone call before the end of the day.... Minnesota was one of my top choices.

Long time lurker posting for the first time. I've been extremely nervous for the past three to four weeks. Last year was very harsh for me - the woman that I love decided to move on, I had a horrible last semester at my university, and one of my professors forgot to put her recommendation up on two universities. 
Chicago has been the only one that I have applied that has had some movement, so far. I am still hoping for more action until the end of the week. If I don't see anything in my mail box by then, I will count my out of the windy city. 
I have been following everyone, and literally cried when I saw some people getting accepted. In some way, this website has been a great outlet for me, for I know that I am not the only one who has been going through this emotional mess.
Has anyone contacted Cathy at UChicago gradschool?

Hope that everyone is well, 
Greetings from RIo de Janeiro, Brazil

Edited by Master of Puppets

You're not alone and I hope that 2013 treats you well.  I also endured a very difficult 2012 in my personal life and am incredibly grateful for this amazing opportunity for a fresh start.  I'll be crossing my fingers that you get good news soon.

Thanks Quigley, you were one of the first guys that I started to notice since I started to frequent the forum. I remember when you got into Davis. I hope that you get into your dream school this year. 

It is very hard for me to understand all this waiting and pressure, for in Brazil the admissions into universities/graduate programs is completely different. 

I have been trying to keep my head up and to fill my time with lots of reading (all polisci related, of course).

The interviews offers have been rolling the past couple weeks so if you haven't heard yet that could be why. They interview everyone on their "short list" before making final decisions. Goal admit class is about 9, but I'm not sure what that says for total admittances.

ahhh, well that doesn't bode well for me. no nashville in my future, i suppose, but best of luck to those who have interviewed! 

Make sure all your stuff is in..

Through sending an email..I found out a piece of my application was missing and when the committee met, I was going to get autodinged because i was supposedly told to send it, but that was never the case.

I called U Chicago as it was my pretty much top choice and wanted to make sure that all of the acceptances haven't been sent out, and the GA said she can't disclose  on the phone anything about individual acceptances, but all of them will be sent out by the end of next week. So that's my hopeful news?

Long time lurker posting for the first time. I've been extremely nervous for the past three to four weeks. Last year was very harsh for me - the woman that I love decided to move on, I had a horrible last semester at my university, and one of my professors forgot to put her recommendation up on two universities. 

Chicago has been the only one that I have applied that has had some movement, so far. I am still hoping for more action until the end of the week. If I don't see anything in my mail box by then, I will count my out of the windy city. 

I have been following everyone, and literally cried when I saw some people getting accepted. In some way, this website has been a great outlet for me, for I know that I am not the only one who has been going through this emotional mess.

Has anyone contacted Cathy at UChicago gradschool?

Hope that everyone is well, 

Greetings from RIo de Janeiro, Brazil

Hopefully things work out for you this year...Rooting for ya

I called U Chicago as it was my pretty much top choice and wanted to make sure that all of the acceptances haven't been sent out, and the GA said she can't disclose  on the phone anything about individual acceptances, but all of them will be sent out by the end of next week. So that's my hopeful news?

Thanks healthyboy, you kept the hope here!

Hope you get in UChicago as well.

I'm glad I'm not the only one that  called  ;)

Yeah she gave me the exact same answer, hopefully more acceptances will be made over the next few days.