Welcome to the 2012-2013 cycle

You have no idea how nervous this made me! I had an interview for UW (University of Washington) two weeks ago, heard from a POI but have not seen any rejections or acceptances on here. Upon seeing 'UW' in the post I assumed Washington had sent out rejections.

sorry to make you worry! im from the midwest, so uw is always wisconsin :)

I dont care who left, I still think UChicago is respectable and Id trade places with anyone of em to go :P

same here. I am praying that this is all a lie/dream and I will have a nice present in the mail tomorrow, but I may be a hopeless dreamer. 

There's also no need to rain on someone else's parade by belittling a school after being rejected by it.
Right. While I understand the impulse, people should avoid doing this. Let those who were accepted savor their gains. Besides, these posts have always struck me as being silly. After all, the poster did apply to the school, so they presumably saw some value in the program.

I dont care who left, I still think UChicago is respectable and Id trade places with anyone of em to go :P
same here. I am praying that this is all a lie/dream and I will have a nice present in the mail tomorrow, but I may be a hopeless dreamer.   
For what it counts, I will keep my fingers crossed for you two. :-)

So... is anyone who applied yet to hear from U Wisconsin-Madison? I have no email but also nothing by way of snail-mail and am not sure how to take that. Although, I didn't know about the $11k stipend so I'm a little less on edge about it.

And I second all the calls for goodwill on the results posting. But it would definitely be easier if schools would hurry up and "go all Oprah" (I'm trying to help make that happen).

FWIW From the email they sent today. "The UW-Madison Political Science Admissions Committee has now completed its work for the 2013 entering class. "

For those accepted into Minnesota, did your application status change? Mine is still at "awaiting program decision." 

Also, what in the world is going on with Chicago? I am not a fan of being in the "in between phase."

I received my offer from Minnesota today, but my status is still "awaiting program decision" as well.

I'm even more depressed now since it seems there's no hope and Chicago was (I thought) the perfect "fit" for me and that I had the credentials. This doesn't bode well for the rest of the cycle, methinks :(

I'm even more depressed now since it seems there's no hope and Chicago was (I thought) the perfect "fit" for me and that I had the credentials. This doesn't bode well for the rest of the cycle, methinks :(

This was my thinking as well so I took a big 'me day' and just watched episodes of Maury. What other schools are you applying to? I anticipate the next decision I'll be hearing is from Columbia and it seems like forever away, making the first rejection sting a little bit more.

This was my thinking as well so I took a big 'me day' and just watched episodes of Maury. What other schools are you applying to? I anticipate the next decision I'll be hearing is from Columbia and it seems like forever away, making the first rejection sting a little bit more.

You ARE the father!

If it makes you feel any better, I am sure you had the credentials. Shit just happens to really good people sometimes and it really really sucks. It is just one hardship we must somehow deal with and hope for a better tomorrow. 

I hope everyone gets into a good program soon (with funding) so our wounds can heal. 

Well, after obsessively hitting "refresh" all afternoon at work and finally realizing that it was over, I drowned my sorrows in chocolate chip cookies, then power walked home in an attempt to compensate for the excess caloric consumption. I've never been an emotional eater (usually the opposite) but there's a first time for everything I guess... I was entitled, right?

I interviewed with one program (Emory), and still have 10 more schools to hear from (including CHYPS) but hey, it's their loss.

Good luck to all! May the odds be ever in (our) favor.

Edited by brady

Well, after obsessively hitting "refresh" all afternoon at work and finally realizing that it was over, I drowned my sorrows in chocolate chip cookies, then power walked home in an attempt to compensate for the excess caloric consumption. I've never been an emotional eater (usually the opposite) but there's a first time for everything I guess... I was entitled, right?

I interviewed with one program (Emory), and still have 10 more schools to hear from (including CHYPS) but hey, it's their loss.

Good luck to all! May the odds be ever in (our) favor.

You were absolutely entitled. Also, think of the better weather wherever it is that you will wind up!

If it makes you feel any better, I am sure you had the credentials. Shit just happens to really good people sometimes and it really really sucks. It is just one hardship we must somehow deal with and hope for a better tomorrow. 

I hope everyone gets into a good program soon (with funding) so our wounds can heal. 

Thanks for the affirmation! If anything, the positive spirit of this forum makes me feel marginally better than cookies.

The posts for U Chicago on the Results Board just seem strange... a la Duke posts from last week, maybe? I didn't apply to Chicago, so I wasn't paying close attention - did anyone credible claim an actual rejection? The spam, or at least speculative, posts on the board just taint the information for future applicants....

The posts for U Chicago on the Results Board just seem strange... a la Duke posts from last week, maybe? I didn't apply to Chicago, so I wasn't paying close attention - did anyone credible claim an actual rejection? The spam, or at least speculative, posts on the board just taint the information for future applicants....

I don't think they are strange (just a whole lot of hurt people, which is understandable), but if by "credible" you mean an actual rejection letter from Chicago, then no. However, I will call Kathy tomorrow (others should do the same so we can compare her answers - I love methodology) and attempt to get a straight answer from her. Whether you were accepted or not, I think we can all agree that a school that waits weeks after it sends out its acceptance letters to send the rejection letters is just plain cruel (or maybe I just have a very broad definition of what "cruel" is). 

Congrats to all the recent admits!

To those who heard bad news, I'm right there with you. So far I have two rejections, and at least three of my other schools seem to be sending things out, but I'm just not receiving anything. I'm slowly coming to terms with the idea of taking a few years and then reapplying. I'm just out of undergrad, so, while I would love to get started on a PhD now, I know I still have a lot more maturing to do. I'm just dreading telling my professors who wrote recommendations. They were so optimistic about my chances lol.

For those who got rejected in previous cycles and reapplied this year... what did you guys do in between? I applied to a few Masters programs, but even those are competitive. Any job I could hope to get seems so distant from research work, and I don't know how it would actually strengthen my future applications.

Congrats to all the recent admits!

To those who heard bad news, I'm right there with you. So far I have two rejections, and at least three of my other schools seem to be sending things out, but I'm just not receiving anything. I'm slowly coming to terms with the idea of taking a few years and then reapplying. I'm just out of undergrad, so, while I would love to get started on a PhD now, I know I still have a lot more maturing to do. I'm just dreading telling my professors who wrote recommendations. They were so optimistic about my chances lol.

For those who got rejected in previous cycles and reapplied this year... what did you guys do in between? I applied to a few Masters programs, but even those are competitive. Any job I could hope to get seems so distant from research work, and I don't know how it would actually strengthen my future applications.

sm321

First off, I would say to wait and see before jumping to any conclusions. While gradcafe can be a great source of information, it can also cause a lot of anxiety (at least it has for me). I also had no luck in my first round, and I can honestly say that not getting in was probably a great thing (for me). I had initially applied in another discipline, was rejected from all PhD programs but admitted to one MA program, which I ended up attending. Over the course of my time in the program, I had the opportunity to not only strengthen my GPA (which needed it) and to develop close relationships with faculty, but I also realized just how much I loved political theory and how much more of a fit it was for the kind of work that I wanted to do. It also gave me a chance to experience grad school without the commitment of a PhD program. I've noticed that many of the students that enter from undergrad really struggle with just how different grad school is. Students that had taken time off were not only more calm and collected about the whole process, but they had a greater appreciation of what they were getting into (and the viable alternatives). I just found out today that I got in at Chicago, so it definitely paid off.

If you get in and can afford it, I would highly recommend doing an MA program. If not, I would talk to your recommenders about what you can do in the interim to strengthen your application. Unfortunately, there aren't many jobs that directly relate to any kind of research work in the social sciences, but I would definitely look at either trying to find an RA position somewhere or working for a policy institute or think tank. That said, I don't think many admissions committees expect your work to be directly relevant to your research (mine certainly wasn't) but it's good to have something that at least interests you. And don't dread telling your profs. Many of them don't realize (unless they sit on admissions committees) just what a crapshoot this whole process is.

Good Luck!

Edited by certaincertainties

Congrats to all the recent admits!!! and condolences to the rejections.

Questions (they are probably dumb ones, but my head is all fuzzy from the adrenaline and anxiety and excitement and terror and... ) : I got a call from a DGS who said I'm "number one" on their waitlist. Should I take that seriously? or do they say that to everyone? Then, I got a follow up email that said I should let them know if/when I get offers of admission elsewhere (which I have, South Carolina so far, weeee) I'm not up to speed with the etiquette or protocol here. It sounds like a way to weed out the people who seem like they might not accept the offer. But I also feel odd just not responding to the email.

Again, sorry for not know what the F I'm doing! good luck yall!

Congrats to all the recent admits!!! and condolences to the rejections.Questions (they are probably dumb ones, but my head is all fuzzy from the adrenaline and anxiety and excitement and terror and... ) : I got a call from a DGS who said I'm "number one" on their waitlist. Should I take that seriously? or do they say that to everyone? Then, I got a follow up email that said I should let them know if/when I get offers of admission elsewhere (which I have, South Carolina so far, weeee) I'm not up to speed with the etiquette or protocol here. It sounds like a way to weed out the people who seem like they might not accept the offer. But I also feel odd just not responding to the email.Again, sorry for not know what the F I'm doing! good luck yall!

So I'm no expert, but I can't imagine that they would tell you that you're #1 on the waitlist if you aren't.

Edited by Lemeard

Terribly gutted at not hearing anything from UChicago. Like many, I thought I was a good fit too. It was my first choice. My stomach feels all empty now. Don't think I can be happy for the rest of the day.

I'm quite upset too. Ugh. 

It's nice knowing someone else from Asia on here. The messed up timezones are ruining my days. I'm awake at night to obsessively check my mail. 

So Emory emailed me back and said decisions would be out by the end of the week. I didn't interview or get invited to the visitation weekend though, so I'm kind of confused. But. Uhm. Fingers crossed! I really, really love Emory's fit with me.

Just received my first official rejection, ick. Bye UW-M.

I'm quite upset too. Ugh. 

It's nice knowing someone else from Asia on here. The messed up timezones are ruining my days. I'm awake at night to obsessively check my mail. 

I just try to have a good sleep at night. And then panic once I wake up.

So Emory emailed me back and said decisions would be out by the end of the week. I didn't interview or get invited to the visitation weekend though, so I'm kind of confused. But. Uhm. Fingers crossed! I really, really love Emory's fit with me.

Just received my first official rejection, ick. Bye UW-M.

Thanks for the info on Emory. I went to the visitation and I think I would be a good fit there as well, so I've been anxiously waiting to see if I get an offer. The atmosphere during the visit made it seem as if most, if not all, of the visitors would get offers. But you still can't be too sure. And I'm not feeling overly optimistic about my chances at the other schools to which I applied.

I would have to think that if you haven't been rejected, then there is still hope you'll get an offer. Best of luck and thanks again!