Welcome to the 2012-2013 cycle

Thanks for taking one for the team :)

So when you called UCLA, did they say your decision hadn't yet been made, or the decisions hadn't yet been made? If they said the latter, then it would seem odd that they have already notified some acceptances?

I think it was Yesenia who answered, and I didn't ask about my decision. I asked, "have all the admission decisions been made?" to which she replied the latter. I don't know about the email acceptances since they were confirmed by users here, but I think the phone acceptances are trolls at this point since when I pressed further asking if they give out admission over the phone, she said they don't give out information like that over the phone. I'm interpreting that as unless the phone calls were by individual faculty, the acceptances this morning are trolls.

Edit: grammar

Edited by PDCU

That's how it worked when I first applied to Chicago.  However, my understanding is that they don't just offer admission to MAPSS to everyone who got rejected from the PhD program.  Rather, the Political Science department forwards those applications they see as promising (but not quite good enough for a PhD offer) to MAPSS, and then they review your application.  All said, it does feel like a consolation to some people, but my experience was that MAPSS afforded me an invaluable academic opportunity that I know made me a much more competitive PhD applicant this cycle.

I'm hoping to at least get the MAPSS because I don't really expect to get into any of the PhD programs I applied to and like you said, I feel like it would make me better suited/prepared for future cycles. 

I think it was Yesenia who answered, and I didn't ask about my decision. I asked, "have all the admission decisions been made?" to which she replied the latter. I don't know about the email acceptances since they were confirmed by users here, but I think the phone acceptances are trolls at this point since when I pressed further asking if they give out admission over the phone, she said they don't give out information like that over the phone. I'm interpreting that as unless the phone calls were by individual faculty, the acceptances this morning are trolls.

Thanks for the info and for making the call.  Agreed regarding the calls. 

Edited by Quigley

I'm hoping to at least get the MAPSS because I don't really expect to get into any of the PhD programs I applied to and like you said, I feel like it would make me better suited/prepared for future cycles. 

I was rejected across the board last year, and I've got to say that looking back on my previous application, it was just embarrassingly bad. I'm sure MAPSS can help you to get into much better places next year (if you decide to enroll). Looking at their PhD placement record, I'd think it's better than taking a second-rate program (in your mind) just because you got in this year.

I hope you get a funded PhD offer, but if not, and you get a MAPSS offer, I would take it.  Feel free to PM me if you have any questions about the program.  Good luck!

I was rejected across the board last year, and I've got to say that looking back on my previous application, it was just embarrassingly bad. I'm sure MAPSS can help you to get into much better places next year (if you decide to enroll). Looking at their PhD placement record, I'd think it's better than taking a second-rate program (in your mind) just because you got in this year.

Yeah, I don't want to go to a second-rate program and if the MAPSS makes me a stronger candidate, I'd jump at it if they make me an offer. 

I hope you get a funded PhD offer, but if not, and you get a MAPSS offer, I would take it.  Feel free to PM me if you have any questions about the program.  Good luck!

I hope so too but I honestly, have zero expectations. And thanks. If I do get MAPSS (I really really hope I do), I will bug you with some questions. =) 

Yes, agreed re: trolls (or they are from POIs?). Thanks for clarifying, this helps!

Oh. Thanks for the info. 

Someone just posted a UWashington reject on the results board. Does that mean they're sending out all decisions today? I just checked my mail. I have nothing. 

I got a letter from Washington University saying I had been rejected.  OH well...UIUC, Texas A&M, and FSU have all been kind.

On 2/6/2013 at 1:23 PM, brkrgal85 said:

I got a letter from Washington University saying I had been rejected.  OH well...UIUC, Texas A&M, and FSU have all been kind.

Washington University in St. Louis, or University of Washington (Seattle)? And by letter do you mean mail? Thanks!

Got an email from WUSTL with the attached rejection letter. Really sucks, but I was kind of expecting it. I really hope that this will not be my life for the next 2-3 weeks, being told I'm great, but didn't make the cut. I do believe that I have a lot to offer and that it's not my loss, but theirs. 

On 2/6/2013 at 1:23 PM, brkrgal85 said:

WashU in St. Louis (WUSTL).  I was letting you know just in case you confuse that with University of Washington in Seattle.

On 2/6/2013 at 1:32 PM, student90210 said:

Got an email from WUSTL with the attached rejection letter. Really sucks, but I was kind of expecting it. I really hope that this will not be my life for the next 2-3 weeks, being told I'm great, but didn't make the cut. I do believe that I have a lot to offer and that it's not my loss, but theirs. 

Same here, but they don't choose many people.  Kind of ironic, because my dad was waitlisted there way back for Psych.  Whatever. 

Thanks to those who responded regarding masters programs, etc.

Did you all do Masters in PS or in some other subject? I've applied to some IR masters, some area studies, and some broader social science programs (like MAPSS at Chicago and QMSS at Columbia) to add diversity to my background. Would this help a future PS PhD application? Or would it dilute my credentials? 

I came from a large but mediocre public school. While I did well in undergrad, I know that relatively, my application was probably not impressive compared to students from better schools. Hopefully a masters program helps show schools that I am fit for admission :)

Second rejection a la WUSTL delivered up in a steamy email with an attached letter of "not this year".  Sounds like if I haven't heard from Vandy for an interview yet, then that's a goner.  Doesn't take much for me to rule out a couple other schools.  Starting to get that sinking feeling.

Does anybody know what is going on with Minnesota?

I'm one of the admits for UofM - it seems their taking their time sending out admissions notices, but from what I gathered on the phone yesterday, it sounds like it's wrapping up soon. I'll keep my fingers crossed for you!

On 2/6/2013 at 2:08 PM, Wemayet said:

Second rejection a la WUSTL delivered up in a steamy email with an attached letter of "not this year".  Sounds like if I haven't heard from Vandy for an interview yet, then that's a goner.  Doesn't take much for me to rule out a couple other schools.  Starting to get that sinking feeling.

well one acceptance is all you need, so don't give up yet!  at least that's what I'm telling myself...

Thanks to those who responded regarding masters programs, etc.

Did you all do Masters in PS or in some other subject? I've applied to some IR masters, some area studies, and some broader social science programs (like MAPSS at Chicago and QMSS at Columbia) to add diversity to my background. Would this help a future PS PhD application? Or would it dilute my credentials? 

I came from a large but mediocre public school. While I did well in undergrad, I know that relatively, my application was probably not impressive compared to students from better schools. Hopefully a masters program helps show schools that I am fit for admission :)

I did an MA in PS. It does definitely help show that you are capable of grad work and, depending on all the extras you do during (publications, research with faculty, etc.), can really boost you.

well one acceptance is all you need, so don't give up yet!  at least that's what I'm telling myself...

You only get to keep one too. And remember that a rejection at one place isn't much of an indicator at another place. I know a guy who got into Yale after a rejection from Maryland.

Edited by PDCU