Welcome to the 2012-2013 cycle

I did an MA in PS. It does definitely help show that you are capable of grad work and, depending on all the extras you do during (publications, research with faculty, etc.), can really boost you.

This isn't wrong.

In regards to MA in application, I asked a grad program coordinator regarding applicants having MA: "Many students who apply have completed an MA in public policy, history, international relations, ethnic studies and sometimes political science. Since we do not require students to have a specific background in Political Science or IR, we do receive applications from students with a wide-array of degrees. The advantage lies in the types of academic work and research opportunities that students have access to in a graduate program, as opposed to those available to undergraduates. I would not let this, however, keep you from applying to the program, as the committee considers many other areas of your application."

Hope this is helpful.

well one acceptance is all you need, so don't give up yet!  at least that's what I'm telling myself...

That's exactly what I'm counting on; as are many of us, I suspect.  But why <oh why?> can't the one acceptance be the first thing you get!?!?!?

That's exactly what I'm counting on; as are many of us, I suspect.  But why <oh why?> can't the one acceptance be the first thing you get!?!?!?

I guess that's why most programs give out rejections much later than acceptances... How considerate of them.

I did an MA in PS. It does definitely help show that you are capable of grad work and, depending on all the extras you do during (publications, research with faculty, etc.), can really boost you.

This is especially true if your undergrad was not in political science and you are (unknowingly) framing your very interesting research question poorly for consumption by political scientists.

I know a guy who got into Yale after a rejection from Maryland.

To my understanding, both fit and yield concerns will sometimes cause schools to reject obviously qualified candidates.

For example, I assume that Duke hasn't gotten a hold of me because they know I'm a lock for Stanford.  kidding

In at Rochester! Flipping out! I got a sad face from OSU and I assume I didn't get into Chicago so my confidence was starting to plummet. I'm so excited! Thank you guys for being so positive and encouraging. This forum has made me feel so much better so many times.

Good luck to everyone this year! To those who haven't heard good news yet, don't lose hope!

Am I the only one who finds the occasional "safety school" references on the results board to be kind of a bummer for everyone else? 

I find the concept of a "safety school" strange. There's not even one school that I applied to that I'm sure I will get into. The process is way too competitive and class sizes are really small. 

seems like rochacha is sending out a fair number of acceptances. congrats everyone

Edit: by rochacha i mean Rochester.

Yes, congrats to Rochester and UMass people!

No, you are not. Signals to me that they are not taking this process seriously at all. 

Agreed. Safety schools don't really exist in a situation where we are talking about getting into places only where we have good fit. I have one safetyish school....but really that was defined more by having chatted with professors and knowing up front that it was within my ability to get in (stats-wise) and also a great fit. So not really at all safety in the traditional sense.

Am I the only one who finds the occasional "safety school" references on the results board to be kind of a bummer for everyone else? 

Yes - there is no such thing as a "safety school" in PhD apps.... say a top ranked program has a 5% acceptance rate, and a lower ranked program has a 25% acceptance rate (and that's probably higher than any programs in reality)... well then you have between a 95% and 75% chance of being rejected at any given program.... no such thing as a "safety"!

Edited by PhDhopeful2013

Proposing an answer to the question on the results board (with respect to the recent Rochester admits):

After seeing admits on here, called the dept, freaking out. Was told apps are still under review and letters will be sent out over the next ten days. What to make of that?

One possibility is that they are admitting by subfield. Another is simply that the adcom just started meeting! But who knows, I'm crossing my fingers still.

Edited by mutatismutandis

No, you are not. Signals to me that they are not taking this process seriously at all. 

This statement is foolish, its called weighing the pros and the cons, noticing your strengths and weaknesses and being able to make an objective decision based on the facts that you have gathered on whether you stand a plausible chance of gaining acceptance.

= Safety

In at Rochester! Flipping out! I got a sad face from OSU and I assume I didn't get into Chicago so my confidence was starting to plummet. I'm so excited! Thank you guys for being so positive and encouraging. This forum has made me feel so much better so many times.

Good luck to everyone this year! To those who haven't heard good news yet, don't lose hope!

Here is a happy acceptance from one of our friends on here =)

This statement is foolish, its called weighing the pros and the cons, noticing your strengths and weaknesses and being able to make an objective decision based on the facts that you have gathered on whether you stand a plausible chance of gaining acceptance.

= Safety

It's one thing to say "well, I applied here because given X, I thought I had probability Y chance of acceptance." It's another thing entirely to invoke the phrase "safety school" with all of its associated undertones in a process which demands intellectual maturity.