Welcome to the 2012-2013 cycle

When I emailed the DGS's of both schools, I was told that I was on the soft waitlist (official notification of waitlists had already gone out to other people though) and that they were "cycling through offers." I'm obviously hoping that those two schools will let me get farther this year, but I'm still unclear as to what the "soft" part means.

Pure speculation: you were at the very end of the waitlist and there was some concern about filling in the class. The "soft part means" that the department was willing to let you twist for a little longer without bothering to get you an official waitlist, and thus deserves a punch to its allegorical wiener. In terms of whether they will let you get farther this year, plenty of people have been accepted to programs that rejected them in the past, so...

Also, any location that just happens to be inhabited by a psycho-ex.

That basically leaves me the University of Tashkent's Ryrgyzyyvyzzynystan satellite campus.

Damn you, felonslooking4love.com!!

Go to the drop down menu labeled as your name in the top right. Settings > Signatures (on the left of Settings).

Go to my profile (your nick at the top right hand corner), edit my profile, and then signature

Go to "change your profile" and alter your "signature"

Thanks everyone!

Actually, back to a question I asked before (if someone could help me get this one): what is meant by a soft wait list?

Last year, I applied to two schools and didn't hear anything until late March. When I emailed the DGS's of both schools, I was told that I was on the soft waitlist (official notification of waitlists had already gone out to other people though) and that they were "cycling through offers." I'm obviously hoping that those two schools will let me get farther this year, but I'm still unclear as to what the "soft" part means.

I think this may mean that the department doesn't use a ranked waitlist, but will pull from a set of backups to fill out the admitted cohort in a way that balances for subfield or area of interest. A lot of departments don't have ranked waitlists, or even ranked waitlists within each subfield. Instead, if the two applicants admitted to work on Congress, for example, turn them down, they will look at the next few applicants interested in that area and choose from among them.

Edited by Penelope Higgins

came across this earlier and thought i'd pass along. interesting info for stanford applicants (and others) on the adcomm process:

http://jackman.stanford.edu/papers/pa04.pdf 

(just in case you want to sink more time in trying to read their minds  ;))

thanks for this!

Ok, I've updated my spreadsheet from yesterday, thanks for feedback & Chicago applicant number. Michigan is now in the green, and it's possible we'll see some movement from Northwestern, Berkeley and Stanford today or tomorrow (or if not probably early next week). 

http://wikisend.com/download/398312/Polisci%20PhD%20admit%20data.xlsx

EDIT: to those who commented yesterday, you're right that this would ideally be on google docs so others can edit;  but I don't feel like fussing with creating a throwaway google account right now. If anyone wants to post this elsewhere for collaboration, feel free. Otherwise I'll keep posting updates. 

Edited by CGMJ

I suppose it's still relatively early in the day, but I'm surprised that more people aren't reporting from Michigan, especially since they're apparently sending rejections as well. Wonder if we're being trolled.

Always a possibility

That would be some epic trolling; in which case the perp should obviously be put in prison for life.  Note how Michigan is called three different things across four posts; and how the scores attached are ridiculously good?  I could believe it more if there wasn't a rejection there.  And of course, if someone in here was taking credit for one of them. 

Edit: and... while I wrote that, 2 more rejections popped up...

Edited by Wemayet

As a note, last year Michigan did admits and rejects on the same day, and then waited a few days before sending out waitlists.

Edited by CGMJ