Welcome to the 2012-2013 cycle

There's some ambiguity about what constitutes a top 10/top 20 school, etc. but the most commonly used ranking is the US News.

Many thanks for that.  The whole 'safety school' discussion had me worried that perhaps I'd unintentionally applied only for universities in the top 20. The learning curve can be a bit steep for us non-Americans.  Thanks again.

Yeah , that's my thought too

Anyone else getting the feeling that at UCLA the subfields are in charge of their own releases of acceptances and rejections?

Edited by rkmattson

Anyone else getting the feeling that at UCLA the subfields are in charge of their own releases of acceptances and rejections?

Could be...now that the latest rejection was comparative, I'll be super nervous all day (which isn't really a change from most recent days).

My UCLA login still has the 2012 message.

Mine too. I've also been checking the messages page on the application website since it sounds like that's where letters have been for other schools that used "applyyourself".

Could be...now that the latest rejection was comparative, I'll be super nervous all day (which isn't really a change from most recent days).

Sorry but how do you know it was a comparative rejection? Just wondering if someone can repost the link to the results page they're looking at... I don't see where subfield, GREs and GPAs are noted on the results page...

Sorry but how do you know it was a comparative rejection? Just wondering if someone can repost the link to the results page they're looking at... I don't see where subfield, GREs and GPAs are noted on the results page...

http://www.thegradcafe.com/survey/index.php?q=political

Hover your cursor over the little red diamond for GRE and GPA info.  Subfield sometimes is entered in the notes section.

If you type in political science into the search bar then you can see all the polisci posts. http://thegradcafe.com/survey/index.php?q=political+science Some people post comments about their acceptances or rejections. And re the gre's and gpa's: on my page anyways, there's a little red diamond in the colum for rejection and acceptance if someone choses to disclose their GPAs and GRE scores. Hope that helps!

http://www.thegradcafe.com/survey/index.php?q=political

Hover your cursor over the little red diamond for GRE and GPA info.  Subfield sometimes is entered in the notes section.

If you type in political science into the search bar then you can see all the polisci posts. http://thegradcafe.com/survey/index.php?q=political+science Some people post comments about their acceptances or rejections. And re the gre's and gpa's: on my page anyways, there's a little red diamond in the colum for rejection and acceptance if someone choses to disclose their GPAs and GRE scores. Hope that helps!

Thanks!

Today, let's discuss "danger schools".

Let's see... anything too close to a beach, or a famous bar district such as New Orleans or Memphis.  By that count UCSD must really be a danger school, with beaches and the Lamp Light District.  Also, any location that just happens to be inhabited by a psycho-ex.  Or how about programs in which students consistently graduate a two years later than their peers at other institutions?  We could factor in natural phenomena; for instance, you are much more likely to die of a hurricane at UNC - Chapel Hill than at Minnesota.  Or the psuedo-natural; I hear that your dog is more likely to be swallowed by a python at FSU than at University of Washington.  Any other "danger schools" we should be wary of?

University of Washington has a considerable suicide risk due to miserable weather for 308 days per year.  

Great counterpoint!  Also, much more likely to die of a volcano there, than at FSU.

MackinCheese - I saw that, and... <gulp> if it's true, then here it comes!  What I consider the school with the best faculty to me fit, on the line...

Edited by Wemayet

Actually, back to a question I asked before (if someone could help me get this one): what is meant by a soft wait list?

Last year, I applied to two schools and didn't hear anything until late March. When I emailed the DGS's of both schools, I was told that I was on the soft waitlist (official notification of waitlists had already gone out to other people though) and that they were "cycling through offers." I'm obviously hoping that those two schools will let me get farther this year, but I'm still unclear as to what the "soft" part means.

Weird gradcafe question (that I feel I should have figured out by now, but know my knowledge of computers is too limited for): to those of you who have your list of applied, accepted and rejected schools at the bottom of your posts, how did you do that?

Weird gradcafe question (that I feel I should have figured out by now, but know my knowledge of computers is too limited for): to those of you who have your list of applied, accepted and rejected schools at the bottom of your posts, how did you do that?

Go to my profile (your nick at the top right hand corner), edit my profile, and then signature

Edited by ohgoodness

Go to the drop down menu labeled as your name in the top right. Settings > Signatures (on the left of Settings).

Actually, back to a question I asked before (if someone could help me get this one): what is meant by a soft wait list?

Last year, I applied to two schools and didn't hear anything until late March. When I emailed the DGS's of both schools, I was told that I was on the soft waitlist (official notification of waitlists had already gone out to other people though) and that they were "cycling through offers." I'm obviously hoping that those two schools will let me get farther this year, but I'm still unclear as to what the "soft" part means.

Just my opinion here, but employing the term "soft" may be a contextual synonym of "well down" - otherwsie they would have used a less ambigious word.  If the opposite were true, I think they would have said "top of" or "high on" or just "on" the waitlist.

Go to "change your profile" and alter your "signature"