Welcome to the 2012-2013 cycle

So Emory emailed me back and said decisions would be out by the end of the week. I didn't interview or get invited to the visitation weekend though, so I'm kind of confused. But. Uhm. Fingers crossed! I really, really love Emory's fit with me.

Just received my first official rejection, ick. Bye UW-M.

Sorry to hear about that :(  Last year, I was rejected by 5 schools and waitlisted at another.  It stinks.  But from the many discussions I've had with doctoral students, many people have to go through this process multiple times.

Alright - we had the joys and disappointments from Chicago and Minnesota yesterday... any guesses for what might come out for today? (Because yes we're all neurotic enough for conjecture.)

I'm in at Minnesota! I received a call from the DGS last night. I'm thrilled. Not being notified by Chicago made me feel bad all day yesterday, but this fixed it. Good luck to everyone today, and in the coming weeks!

I'm in at Minnesota! I received a call from the DGS last night. I'm thrilled. Not being notified by Chicago made me feel bad all day yesterday, but this fixed it. Good luck to everyone today, and in the coming weeks!

Congrats!!!

For those who got rejected in previous cycles and reapplied this year... what did you guys do in between? I applied to a few Masters programs, but even those are competitive. Any job I could hope to get seems so distant from research work, and I don't know how it would actually strengthen my future applications.

I was rejected hands down from most feasible offers when I first went through this process. I had a horrific gpa (serious undergrad illness) and I'm sure from my SOP that I didn't get tagged as someone who knew precisely what they'd like to study. Honestly though, in the couple of years since I just buckled down and tried my hardest to get into the broader national security/international affairs field in other ways. I got an MA in polisci (highly recommend if you can afford it!), really started working with a couple of professors, got published a fair bit (everything from professional blogs and online magazines like FP to a few peer reviewed journals) and worked on defining my interests.

I also broke through several traditionally difficult-to-breach barriers in terms of working in international affairs research by sucking up the crap parts of young professional life (internships, living frugally) and applying big on things that would help me get seen when I did reapply to programs (fellowships, young leader programs in the field, conferences, etc.). And now, applying again, I've got one in the bag and four more to hear from (not yet sending out letters).

TDLR, A few years really can make all the difference - it can even wipe out a terrible or unrelated undergrad record, if you put in the time.

I also broke through several traditionally difficult-to-breach barriers in terms of working in international affairs research by sucking up the crap parts of young professional life (internships, living frugally) and applying big on things that would help me get seen when I did reapply to programs (fellowships, young leader programs in the field, conferences, etc.). And now, applying again, I've got one in the bag and four more to hear from (not yet sending out letters).

TDLR, A few years really can make all the difference - it can even wipe out a terrible or unrelated undergrad record, if you put in the time.

Could you possibly tell us more about what sort of fellowships/programs/conference sort of things you did? Did you publish?

Could you possibly tell us more about what sort of fellowships/programs/conference sort of things you did? Did you publish?

I did publish. For reasons of anonymity during this process though, I'll refrain from details just now. I can give people more of an idea if they PM me. Or general questions are cool.

Alright - we had the joys and disappointments from Chicago and Minnesota yesterday... any guesses for what might come out for today? (Because yes we're all neurotic enough for conjecture.)

From those we've already seen some movement from (of the ones that I applied to an am tracking  :)):  

Admits: Likely more from UCLA and hopefully UCSD in the next few days, and it's possible that we could see a few more admits for Chicago, Duke and NYU.

Rejections: Duke and UCLA also sent out rejections in early Feb last year, so that could come too; less likely from Chicago and NYU, both waited until end of Feb-March to send theirs.

Possible new ones: Michigan sent both admits and rejects last year in the first week of Feb, so that seems likely. Stanford and Berkeley trickled out their admits over a few weeks, but also started the first week of Feb, so perhaps we'll see a few of those soon.

Edited by CGMJ

I did publish. For reasons of anonymity during this process though, I'll refrain from details just now. I can give people more of an idea if they PM me. Or general questions are cool.

PMed! Sorry for being very nosy, more of a response there. :)

From those we've already seen some movement from (of the ones that I applied to an am tracking  :)):  

Admits: Likely more from UCLA and hopefully UCSD in the next few days, and it's possible that we could see a few more admits for Chicago, Duke and NYU.

Rejections: Duke and UCLA also sent out rejections in early Feb last year, so that could come too; less likely from Chicago and NYU, both waited until end of Feb-March to send theirs.

Possible new ones: Michigan sent both admits and rejects last year in the first week of Feb, so that seems likely. Stanford and Berkeley trickled out their admits over a few weeks, but also started the first week of Feb, so perhaps we'll see a few of those soon.

I think it is unlikely that Chicago will send any new offers today, especially after someone who got rejected posted the message on the results board that anyone who was not contacted yesterday was rejected. 

Still crossing my fingers for UCLA, though.

I'm being incredibly OCD about Chicago. I just spoke with Kathy Anderson on the phone and she made it seem like most offers had been sent out yesterday, although not everything--will be out by the end of the week. All decisions will be finalized by the end of the month (I assume that referred to rejections). To me it sounded like she was being purposefully vague... I didn't ask her about my personal status because I knew she wouldn't be able to answer but I'm not too hopeful. I will refrain from posting on the results board though until I get a definitive notification.

Congrats to the new admits (Minnesota, Amherst, UVA). And to all those feeling dejected, remember you're not alone! Misery loves company.

Edited by brady

I'm losing my mind having not heard back from anywhere. Hopefully Stanford and Berkeley hurry up and give me my impending reject so at least I can get it out of the way.

Hey guys, also part of the UCSD bloodbath and no word (ie. most likely rejection) from Chicago.

I also got that message from UCSD about the MPIA, which seems very policy orientated, with most graduates going on to work outside of academia. I'm unsure as to why they'd suggest such a masters, and if it's a generic message every rejected applicant receives?

For those curious about Duke, I emailed their graduate coordinator who told me that they have made all of their recommendations but not all acceptances or waitlists have been "approved by the graduate school" yet. I'm kinda torn cuz the closure would've been nice but there's still hope!

For those curious about Duke, I emailed their graduate coordinator who told me that they have made all of their recommendations but not all acceptances or waitlists have been "approved by the graduate school" yet. I'm kinda torn cuz the closure would've been nice but there's still hope!

Thanks for Duke info! Odd that the Graduate School doesn't just automatically approve all recommendations? (Or maybe they're waiting on GREs and the like?)

I'm starting to question the integrity of the results search.  In previous pages, several people mentioned issues; but honestly, I can understand if someone trashes a school they didn't get into, even if its not very professional, these are emotional times for us all.  But what really does worry me in when someone double posts a rejection with the same information (a U of Chicago rejection) and in that double post puts in a YouTube link saying something along the lines of "get a sweet job here after you move on from your silly dream".  Whoever posted this, please explain yourself, maybe I took you the wrong way... but otherwise I'm slapping those with spam reports pretty soon.

I'm starting to question the integrity of the results search.  In previous pages, several people mentioned issues; but honestly, I can understand if someone trashes a school they didn't get into, even if its not very professional, these are emotional times for us all.  But what really does worry me in when someone double posts a rejection with the same information (a U of Chicago rejection) and in that double post puts in a YouTube link saying something along the lines of "get a sweet job here after you move on from your silly dream".  Whoever posted this, please explain yourself, maybe I took you the wrong way... but otherwise I'm slapping those with spam reports pretty soon.

agreed. 

Yeah, I'm sure UVa went out of their way to call someone with a rejection when it looks as though in the past, applicants had to beg for official rejections in April!  There is definitely trolling going on on the Resuults Board.  Am I the only one suspicious?  When have there been a slew of "assumed rejections" posted to the board all at once and with really emphatic comments?  Plus, people who have actually called Duke and Chicago have received information that contradicts these "100% sure" assumptions... I don't think people should lose hope just yet, at least not based on the results board.

Edited by PhDhopeful2013