Welcome to the 2012-2013 cycle

Woah people! I stayed off GradCafe until now today and this thread has been moving like never before!

I wish Michigan just would come out and go all Oprah: 

"You get a FREE admission! And you! And you! And you! Free admissions for everyone!"

hahaha, yes! in my case, i wish it was stanford, but yes!

Interesting news about Chicago. Historically they have typically accepted and waitlisted all on one day, so I am feeling pretty down about that, but after hearing what the GA said, I dont know what to think. Not sure why they'd change it this year, especially considering it seems like all subfields are represented so far. I'll continue holding onto hope though. Even after hearing good news last Monday, the rejections, assumed rejection and anxiety about the rest (like UCLA) is just really messing with my head. I thought it'd be easier the second time around!

"You get a FREE admission! And you! And you! And you! Free admissions for everyone!"

Shoot.  Apparently I need to be more judicious with my +1 green arrow points because I'm all out for the day.

Edited by Quigley

Woah people! I stayed off GradCafe until now today and this thread has been moving like never before!

"Go all Oprah..."

I love it! That's a line for the ages  :lol: 

Oh, I almost forgot. Congratulations to everyone who received their acceptances today! WUSTL and Chicago are both excellent programs! Minnesota as well.

And my sympathy to those who ended up receiving rejections in the UW-M bloodbath.

Is it true, as someone posted, that UW-M's stipend is $11k?

There is a thread in the political science forum from last year where everyone listed the stipend packages that they were offered from their programs.  According to those entering in Fall 2012, the stipend was $11k plus change before student fees:

Edited by Quigley

There is a thread in the political science forum from last year where everyone listed the stipend packages that they were offered from their programs.  According to those entering in Fall 2012, the stipend was $11k plus change before student fees:

Thanks!

Yea its low. I dont know if its that low but it is low compared to other schools. I mean its a low cost of living, but its low

So what you're saying, is that it's "low"? :D

Yea its low. I dont know if its that low but it is low compared to other schools. I mean its a low cost of living, but its low

Madison's $11k is the lowest I've seen, but when you consider cost of living, it's probably not too much worse than what you might receive in the Bay area or Los Angeles.

Edited by Quigley

For those accepted into Minnesota, did your application status change? Mine is still at "awaiting program decision." 

Also, what in the world is going on with Chicago? I am not a fan of being in the "in between phase."

Wow folks are getting snarky on the results page.  Remember this is a competitive process and schools have a limited capacity to accept students.

A rejection shouldn't be seen as a judgment that you aren't fit to be a political scientist anywhere, but rather as an indication that the pool of potential students is very deep and the committee was forced to make a guess on who would be the best fit for their program based on limited information, time, and resources.  Hopefully you'll be accepted elsewhere.

Edited by Longtime Lurker

Wow folks are getting snarky on the results page.  Remember it's a competitive process and they have a limited capacity to accept students.  A rejection shouldn't be seen as a judgment that you aren't fit to be a political scientist anywhere, but rather as an indication that the pool of potential students is very deep and they had to make a guess on who would be the best fit for their program.

This. Also, can people refrain from posting rejections that are assumed, rather than confirmed?

Oh no, UW bloodbath today!

You have no idea how nervous this made me! I had an interview for UW (University of Washington) two weeks ago, heard from a POI but have not seen any rejections or acceptances on here. Upon seeing 'UW' in the post I assumed Washington had sent out rejections.

You have no idea how nervous this made me! I had an interview for UW (University of Washington) two weeks ago, heard from a POI but have not seen any rejections or acceptances on here. Upon seeing 'UW' in the post I assumed Washington had sent out rejections.

I had an interview a few weeks ago as well with Uof Washington. I hope they send out decisions soon. Did your interviewer give any estimate of the time they would be notifying?

There's also no need to rain on someone else's parade by belittling a school after being rejected by it.

Agreed.  The ratio of applicants to the number of slots available is absurd so it would be unrealistic to expect you'll get into every place you've applied, no matter how strong your credentials are.  Chicago is a fantastic program; big congratulations are in order to everyone who was accepted. 

Edited by Quigley

So... is anyone who applied yet to hear from U Wisconsin-Madison? I have no email but also nothing by way of snail-mail and am not sure how to take that. Although, I didn't know about the $11k stipend so I'm a little less on edge about it.

And I second all the calls for goodwill on the results posting. But it would definitely be easier if schools would hurry up and "go all Oprah" (I'm trying to help make that happen).

I had an interview a few weeks ago as well with Uof Washington. I hope they send out decisions soon. Did your interviewer give any estimate of the time they would be notifying?

I probably should have asked for more details concerning their timeline but I didn't. The interview went well though and the POI has emailed me quite a bit since which I hope is a good sign.