Welcome to the 2012-2013 cycle

I'm the recent UCLA admit (American). I had already assumed I was rejected after all the admits posted their results, and I was really bummed about interviewing at Emory only to later be rejected. Needless to say, I'm completely shocked and elated to be admitted. I'll get at least partial funding for five years.

For those who haven't received the news they've wanted, don't lose faith yet. Best of luck to all and a big congrats to recent admits!

Hey guys,

So I have literally been lurking around here for a month. For most of it, I was an anxious ball of stress as I continually heard nothing. Now I finally have something to report (other than a Michigan rejection like everyone else)! But for reals, I'd like some advice. Today I was one of UPenn "admits" but wait-listed on funding. Does anyone have any familiarity with this practice? Should I be excited or concerned? It seems like a slightly trumped up version of wait-listing to me, but I'm a total newbie to the world of PhD apps. Can't help to be pretty happy to hear something mostly positive though!

Hey guys,

So I have literally been lurking around here for a month. For most of it, I was an anxious ball of stress as I continually heard nothing. Now I finally have something to report (other than a Michigan rejection like everyone else)! But for reals, I'd like some advice. Today I was one of UPenn "admits" but wait-listed on funding. Does anyone have any familiarity with this practice? Should I be excited or concerned? It seems like a slightly trumped up version of wait-listing to me, but I'm a total newbie to the world of PhD apps. Can't help to be pretty happy to hear something mostly positive though!

Here's how I understand "accepted but waitlisted for funding" (Or at least how I had it explained to me by a professor): Some programs are still unsure about exactly what their budget will look like for the next academic year. While they might be expecting a certain amount in funding to be confirmed by the university/etc., they still aren't 100%. Therefore they waitlist a group of students in the anticipation of receiving more funding. Whether they get their expected amount or not is anyone's guess.

Here's how I understand "accepted but waitlisted for funding" (Or at least how I had it explained to me by a professor): Some programs are still unsure about exactly what their budget will look like for the next academic year. While they might be expecting a certain amount in funding to be confirmed by the university/etc., they still aren't 100%. Therefore they waitlist a group of students in the anticipation of receiving more funding. Whether they get their expected amount or not is anyone's guess.

Thanks so much for this insight! It actually makes me feel a bit more hopeful about Penn as a real option, which is a relief because it is currently my only one. Definitely still far from certain, but it does seem a bit above standard admittance wait-listing. At first, I wasn't sure that there was a real distinction beyond Penn's choice of terms. Thanks! Also, the poli sci forum is by far my favorite aspect of thegradcafe. Way to be awesome and supportive, everyone :)

I'm the recent UCLA admit (American). I had already assumed I was rejected after all the admits posted their results, and I was really bummed about interviewing at Emory only to later be rejected. Needless to say, I'm completely shocked and elated to be admitted. I'll get at least partial funding for five years.

For those who haven't received the news they've wanted, don't lose faith yet. Best of luck to all and a big congrats to recent admits!

Congratulations!

I applied to a different subfield, and most of them already got their acceptances so I shouldn't be hopeful, but hell why not.  I'm still getting in!  RESPOND TO ME UNIVERSE!

Thanks so much for this insight! It actually makes me feel a bit more hopeful about Penn as a real option, which is a relief because it is currently my only one. Definitely still far from certain, but it does seem a bit above standard admittance wait-listing. At first, I wasn't sure that there was a real distinction beyond Penn's choice of terms. Thanks! Also, the poli sci forum is by far my favorite aspect of thegradcafe. Way to be awesome and supportive, everyone :)

I have seen that this is the same issue for people in the sociology field - waitlisted for funding. You could lurk in the penn thread there to see if anyone has cleared the situation.  Be aware of the trolls lurking under the bridge tho.. 

This Squared

have any of the recent UNC admits been in the comparative subfield?

I think most of the emails going out last night were IR from what I could tell. And there were only a couple of admits before that. It seems like official decisions will be going out later this week.

I am not sure what to think about the USC rejections. I have not heard anything so I don't know if it good news or bad that I have been neither accepted nor rejected given that they have sent out acceptances prior to rejections in the past.

I think most of the emails going out last night were IR from what I could tell. And there were only a couple of admits before that. It seems like official decisions will be going out later this week.

ok thanks... hopefully there's more acceptances to come....

And where the hey is UVa? (dude, that rhymed)

It looks like from years past that UVa is really slow in getting back to ppl and they release their acceptances slowly and sporadically. I'm still holding out hope I'll find out one way or the other sooner rather than later.... Here's to hoping!

It looks like from years past that UVa is really slow in getting back to ppl and they release their acceptances slowly and sporadically. I'm still holding out hope I'll find out one way or the other sooner rather than later.... Here's to hoping!

Yea the slow response is what worries me. Still....to my reckoning, they have yet to actually send out a full first wave of acceptances (a few fellowship offers notwithstanding). Should be this week, I'd think.