Welcome to the 2012-2013 cycle

I know this is a debate thats been brought up a couple times but was wondering if anyone wanted to weigh in again. Since we've all been told to go to the highest ranked school, go where best fit, and not to do a PhD unfunded, how do we square those three maxims with one another? In my case I'm weighing a fully funded offer from a school ranked near 75 with so-so placements but a great fit that has been trying to woo me vs. an unfunded offer from a school ranked near 50 with very good placements for its ranking and a good but not great fit that has put no effort into wooing me. After emailing the DGS it is possible but not likely that I will eventually get funding at the second school. Any thoughts on this? Are there any good reasons to forego the funding and fit for the ranking and placements at this tier of schools? 

My thoughts?  I'd probably take the #75 school.  The jump between 75 and 50 is not so huge, and I really wouldn't suggest going into debt for a school that isn't top-top ranked.  Even with top ranked school, I would be hesitant to recommend it.

Dealing with rejection. I got into my second choice, but no other programs (although I am still waiting on Rutgers). It certainly stings considering how much time and effort I put into these PhD applications.

How have you guys been dealing with it?

Specifically how?

- Kalhua, mixed with starbucks bottled frappuccino (mocha), with a splash of peppermint schnapps - sorta like an After 5 except with frappuccino instead of Bailey's and served over ice rather than as a shot.  Good stuff :)   Also, Vodka-based drinks, and pole vaulting (though not at the same time).

Also, still waiting on Rutgers, someone who emailed them got a response something to the effect of... "by 3/15..."

Also, still waiting on Rutgers, someone who emailed them got a response something to the effect of... "by 3/15..."

Yup, when I emailed them they told me "March 15 if not before", so we should finally hear this week. History suggests not hearing from them in February is a bad sign, but since no one on here seems to have heard anything, they might just be taking longer with decisions this year. Painfully long wait though!

Edited by jennypol

first rutgers admit is up. Who will claim it?

I got accepted to Rutgers! Email from Eric Davis(who's not in my area, so presumably he's on the ad comm).

Edit: And it was a personalised email referencing my application, so not a blast email for sure. And my online status still says 'no decision'.

Edited by jennypol

I got accepted to Rutgers! Email from Eric Smith (who's not in my area, so presumably he's on the ad comm).

Edit: And it was a personalised email referencing my application, so not a blast email for sure. And my online status still says 'no decision'.

Congrats!!!!  :)  

And thanks for the info!  what is your field?

I got accepted to Rutgers! Email from Eric Davis(who's not in my area, so presumably he's on the ad comm).

Congrats! :)

are there waitlisted people at UMN or UVA for American politics? i am on the high waitlist at both programs and wondering whether i would be accepted off the waitlist. finger crossed..!