MFA 2013 All Art ADMISSIONS freak-out forum!!!!!!!!

ten-of-swords

in case i don't get into either of my *only two* schools this time around... do you guys have any recommendations on how to get recommendations when you've been out of undergrad for years (i graduated fall 2003)? 

i would keep working on my portfolio and apply again next year, but all except one of my recommendations would be extremely stale.  two professors from undergrad didn't even get back to me this time around (one is retired), and the printmaking professor i'm working with right now is about to retire, too!  besides taking other art classes (painting, maybe drawing) at my local university (and paying through the nose) i don't know how I can go about getting fresh new recommendations. 

any ideas?

Where do you live? Are there other artists around you? Do you share a studio space with anyone? One good thing about getting older and more distance from school is that having your peers write you recommendations becomes more acceptable.

in case i don't get into either of my *only two* schools this time around... do you guys have any recommendations on how to get recommendations when you've been out of undergrad for years (i graduated fall 2003)? 

i would keep working on my portfolio and apply again next year, but all except one of my recommendations would be extremely stale.  two professors from undergrad didn't even get back to me this time around (one is retired), and the printmaking professor i'm working with right now is about to retire, too!  besides taking other art classes (painting, maybe drawing) at my local university (and paying through the nose) i don't know how I can go about getting fresh new recommendations. 

any ideas?

I got my BFA in 2002 and thought this would be an issue for me but it worked out. 

I really participate in the small but active art scene here in Denver and this made getting letter of recs easy- people were familiar with my work, who I am and what I'm about.

In my opinion, I think it's important to get letter of recs from people in world of academia and/or the art world....not just friends who know you and your work well.  

How involved are you in your local art scene?  You'd be surprised to see who is happy to help you in this area (as long as your work is strong, of course!).  I ended up getting a KILLER letter of rec from a local museum director who is well known in the art world.

Just remember- in the end, the strength of your work is what pushes you to the top.  The letter of recs are just extra fluff for your app.   It's easy for everyone to get caught up in these details when we should just be in our studios working.....

I agree with Idioteck.  As long as you find someone to write your recommendations, you shouldn't worry about that too much.  I don't that they even make that much of a difference unless they are either extremely terrible (like the person actually writes negative things about you!  or it is written by your mother? haha)  or if they are really exceptional, like Abramovic writes u a recommend for Performance.  

Focus on your work!

It seems no one has heard from Rutgers regarding concentrations in painting yet. So I imagine those acceptances are still coming.

I just read the thread on here about how we were supposed to have official transcripts sent to Rutgers.....Well shit, I haven't done that yet. I wonder if I should bother at this point?  

SIDE NOTE:  I know I'm not the first one to complain about this, but seriously- why can't there be a universal standard to this whole process????  All this checking and triple checking of what each institutions requirements are is maddening.  How amazing would it be to fill out one slideroom app with a checklist of all the school you would like it sent to, pay a fat bill and be DONE.  

SIDE NOTE: I know I'm not the first one to complain about this, but seriously- why can't there be a universal standard to this whole process???? All this checking and triple checking of what each institutions requirements are is maddening. How amazing would it be to fill out one slideroom app with a checklist of all the school you would like it sent to, pay a fat bill and be DONE.

Yes, please!

I just read the thread on here about how we were supposed to have official transcripts sent to Rutgers.....Well shit, I haven't done that yet. I wonder if I should bother at this point?  

SIDE NOTE:  I know I'm not the first one to complain about this, but seriously- why can't there be a universal standard to this whole process????  All this checking and triple checking of what each institutions requirements are is maddening.  How amazing would it be to fill out one slideroom app with a checklist of all the school you would like it sent to, pay a fat bill and be DONE.  

I completely agree! It's almost like filling out two applications per school. I hated having to go over everything a multitude of times just to be sure. This is why I was so pleasantly surprised by how efficient and streamlined MICA was. Everything on Slideroom, no fuss no muss.

And I to am hoping for a Rutgers call soon.  

Yea I did not send official transcripts to Rutgers either.  The language seems to be a bit vague on whether they will use your unofficial to make their decision on your application. I think its fine, if they are really interested in your work, they will address your transcripts when the time comes. They working on a building a great program there they wont shortchange themselves at the expense of an official transcript.

Yea I did not send official transcripts to Rutgers either.  The language seems to be a bit vague on whether they will use your unofficial to make their decision on your application. I think its fine, if they are really interested in your work, they will address your transcripts when the time comes. They working on a building a great program there they wont shortchange themselves at the expense of an official transcript.

yeah, that was my thinking too.  Every other program I've spoken with says this too.....it's merely a formality they have to do in the acceptance process.  

Does anyone know if SVA's Fine Art MFA program gives interviews? If so, has anyone heard back yet?

From what I can tell, no interview and know by april 1 for SVA.

And totally agree on the side note, and Rutgers anticipation.

Thanks guys for the input on recommendations!  I recently moved from the NE to the midwest, leaving my all-consuming full-time job so my husband could pursue a new job down here, and have been focused on making work (etc) and have not been getting out into the art community.  If I don't get into either school I'm going to finally step out of the studio and try to get to know people down here!  It's good to know that recommendations don't have to be from professors, that helps a lot.

Well just got a call this morning from MassArt. Informed me I was waitlisted but was number 1 on the list (still super bummed about it). I know it was my interview that really messed me up, I didn't really explain anything well.  Whats worse is a few hours later I received an email from Umass:Amherst saying I was waitlisted as well :(  Not a god day at all. I assume people who are waitlisted then later accepted get little to no funding?

Your work is very impressive. You should definitely be hearing some good news soon!

Well just got a call this morning from MassArt. Informed me I was waitlisted but was number 1 on the list (still super bummed about it). I know it was my interview that really messed me up, I didn't really explain anything well.  Whats worse is a few hours later I received an email from Umass:Amherst saying I was waitlisted as well :(  Not a god day at all. I assume people who are waitlisted then later accepted get little to no funding?

i'm sorry you've been getting some less than awesome news! you still have a bunch of schools left to hear from, though, i wouldn't give up yet!  i wonder, too, about funding for waitlisted people.  i would imagine that if someone gives up their spot then their funding would be distributed among the people who accept, but i really have no idea. 

yay!  congrats on your acceptance! 

i hear ya about being nervous in interviews.  it doesn't help when you really really really want something-- it's so much easier when you're being interviewed for something you don't really care about! 

Edited by Emoree

i called bloomington re: my alternate status for printmaking. she said they don't over-admit students, so that's good, and that it's a short list of alternates (also good!).  she also said no one has accepted yet, but that's not surprising since it's still early.  it seems like many first years don't get funding (it's a three year program, and usually you get funding for the other two, or at least one).  that doesn't bother me at all since i'm in-state and tuition is very reasonable, but i hope that turns off some of the people who were accepted!

OK so I'm a royal idiot, the person who called this morning wasnt for Massart. She had a heavy accent so misunderstood and thought she was from Massart when she was really from Amherst (I was half asleep when I answered). The only reason I learned was because I was #1 on the waitlist as well (which I thought was too much of coincidence). God I'm dumb :P

Friend just got a call from UConn asking to interview. Guess I can scratch that off my list, but super happy for him! They only accept 5 people into their MFA program. 

Any chance any one knows if the application online says not entered, if that means not accepted. Or just not entered preference yet? Any help would be awesome. Thanks! getting nervous over here...

When in doubt, CALL THEM! It just takes a few minutes and they may just tell you that something was missing and to send/email it to them.

Edited by ArsenicYellow

Any chance any one knows if the application online says not entered, if that means not accepted. Or just not entered preference yet? Any help would be awesome. Thanks! getting nervous over here...

i don't think that means anything, i heard people from waiting to rejected, and from waiting to accepted, both say "not entered" for the entire time. but it might depends on the school system, if it bothers you, you should just ask the individual school

A little note on transcripts... They don't matter in the decision. It's all about the work and essay to the deciding faculty. Yes, they need to be submitted to the University so they can verify you have a degree and are eligible to obtain a Masters. Sure, some programs require a 3.0 or something absurd. Shit, where I did my undergrad half of the classes were 'university requirements' aka GPA KILLER Everyone is caught up in their transcripts. Why not e caught up in your work or a book? Calling and calling. If they want someone in their program, they will call. It's that simple. If no one gets into a program, then it's more motivation to keep making work and actually think about what it is your trying to accomplish with creating your work. Read Read Read. See what's happening out in the art world. See how the 1%turds are only buying art from blue chip gallery. Most of us will be eating alive by these old dinosaurs still running the show. If galleries can't turn you into a commodity and make a profit, then were fucked. The nonprofit sector is basically on the edge of extinction, only surviving because a couple 1%turds keep feeding the tube once a year. Get out there and make a difference. Do it until it kills you!