MFA 2013 All Art ADMISSIONS freak-out forum!!!!!!!!

ten-of-swords

also, rejection from hunter for works on paper. i guess it makes sense since i submitted work that wasn't all on paper. ugh. sucks they're not very into interdisciplinary applicants. 

i've already interviewed with cca over the phone in mid-feb and with tyler on saturday, and will interview at cal arts next week. has anyone who interviewed with cca or tyler heard back?

for some reason, i'm feeling this won't be the year for me. but at least this process has made me aware of other great programs i did not know about. at tyler i was asked why not bard or m.i.t., and i knew i didn't want to go to bard because i want a fully immersive program, and i really didn't know about m.i.t. but i figured the program is way more technology oriented than i am in my practice right now. maybe the committee at tyler thought i wouldn't fit in their program. which hysterically is what my work is partly about -- fit.

this process has been real informative for a first time applicant and it's been really helpful to have this board to come to.

Edited by woodworked

I just interviewed at Cornell yesterday. It was a really laid back process. I had prepared a 20 min lecture about my work. I think they were looking for something a little less formal but I made sure to stop and ask if there were questions along the way and they did ask some. It lasted about 45mins in total. I was asked several questions at the end then asked them several.

The questions were specific to my work, so just be prepared to talk about your concepts, processes, what drives you and where you see yourself going. They seem to want some openness or willingness to explore other concepts to a degree. I was asked about that because my work is pretty focused in it's concept. 

Everyone was really nice! Let me know if you have any questions.

Wow, thank you for all of this advice! So generous of you. 

I had my interview yesterday, and it was intimidating, but actually a lot of fun. I had to speak for 15-20 mins uninterrupted, sitting next to a projection of my work, in front of 20+ people. The questions were great and so was the tour/lunch with grad students. The format was SO MUCH more intimidating than my other interviews, but everyone was so nice, which made up for it.

Sounds like they are doing the final review on Friday and then calling us with final decisions. Scary. Good luck! Maybe we will be classmates :)

VCU Sculpture says they're still reviewing and anticipate that it will be mid-late March before they get through apps. 

has anyone been contacted for an interview for VCU Sculpture?

Does anyone have experience applying to Bard, or know of someone who has a feel for the program? Haven't seen talk of it on here much, is that because of it being set up as a summer intensive with independent study?

Indigoconcord, are you attending UChicago winter critiques? Have you accepted yet? 

Yes! I will most likely be there for at least one of the days - really want to meet potential classmates as classmates and not competing interviewees. Will you be there? I have not accepted yet, as I'm waiting to hear back from other programs. Anyways, I'm super excited about uchicago... I think they're going to have a large presence in the immediate trajectory of the "mfa". Have you accepted or are you waiting to hear back from Burren/CMU?

Edited by indigoconcord

Hi Everyone

I applied to Ceramics and Sculpture Programs. Here is my list, hope this helps and good luck to everyone !

UTK (Ceramics) -Accepted with full tuition waver, stipend and TA position

SC- (Sculpture)-Accepted

RISD (ceramics)- Interviewed 3/7

University of Florida (ceramics)- Rejected but offered post-bacc

Alfred (ceramics)- rejected

UGA( sculpture)- rejected

WVU (sculpture)- rejected

Tyler School of Art (ceramics)- assuming rejection

OSU- (ceramics & Sculpture)- assuming rejection

IU (ceramics and Sculpture)- assuming rejection

Syracuse (ceramics & sculpture)- ?

Ohio University (ceramics)- ?

Edited by RagingBear

As anyone else had an interview with RISD for ceramics or sculpture...what were the questions like?

I did a phone interview with RISD this morning, it went well.  I was asked basic questions about my artwork and what my plans were for grad school and after grad school. No pressure. 

Bard has a strong curatorial studies program, and it doesn't hurt to possibly cross paths with many curators while in school.  But if its all low res then maybe artists don't meet the curators often?

I believe the Curatorial Studies program is in session during the regular school year while the Bard MFA program is only in session during the summer. I'm not sure how much interaction there is between the two programs. 

beards,

Do you mind telling me what is listed when you check your application status at VCU? Here is the link.

When I check my status it says "complete and ready for review" but from what I understand all the reviews have taken place.

I have yet to hear anything from them and cannot get anyone to answer the phone in the painting/printmaking department.

Like many I would prefer to know that I am rejected rather than have a lingering hope.

Edited by ptsd-2013

acceptance call from Herron photo! I think there's a couple of others on here that applied to Herron? said letters would be sent out next week or so as they are finalizing fin aid.

Congratulations! I haven't heard anything yet from Herron. Eeek! did you get any fee remission or funding?