Canadian Universities MSW. The waiting game 2013 admissions

FH 2012

Laurie, it is so nice to see you back on here! (yes, you have me beat with the age!) I remember reading about the terrible wait you went through with York last year.  Did you go with the BSW program this year? Have you applied to the same schools for the MSW this year?

I'm so happy to see you'll be attending U of T in the fall. Congrats! Last year I applied to the 2-year MSW program at York only and this year I've applied at both York and U of T. I got accepted into U of W's distance ed BSW program last year but deferred it for a year to give another try for an MSW. So far, the application process has gone smoother although I'm trying not to be too obsessive with checking MyFile and the U of T page. After the lengthy wait last year for York applicants, I'm prepared not to hear anything before the end of May.

Are there a lot of textbooks to purchase or is the material available online?  Also, are you in the same placement for semester 2 & 3?  On the website it looked like there were 3 different placements throughout the 2 year program.

Some courses have a lot of textbooks and others use journal articles. Textbooks can get very expensive so I've bought some new, rented some from the library, and bought some used off of Amazon. Yes, you're in the same placement during the winter and spring semesters (semester 2 and 3 respectively). There's only 2 placements in the 2 year program.

I wonder if there are any disadvantages in choosing an integrated stream at Laurier. Do you think an employer would think that someone graduating from such a program would be less specialized, or do you think they would appreciate the breadth?

I don't think there's any disadvantage to choosing the integrated stream EXCEPT that you cannot pursue a thesis if you're in an integrated stream. I don't think employers would view you as less specialized. In my opinion you'd be getting a well-rounded education. I don't even think employers would ask what stream you were in but I could be wrong.

No, I don't know how many they accept. But it's encouraging to know that they're accepted applicants in the past with a GPA of anywhere between the high 60's to high 80's. So if you have good references and wrote a solid essay, it doesn't sound too difficult to get in. It also helps that they have 2 campuses so you get 2 chances of getting accepted, if you applied to to both. The results will be posted on the portal on April 22, so only less than 2 weeks away. Is this your first choice? Good luck! .
It is my first choice... I went down the 2 yr MSW route last year and didn't get accepted. I just don't have the experience they are looking for. The Lakehead program is great though since It's only 12 months. My marks are strong and I applied to both campuses so I hope I get in! The wait is killing me.

Hi,

I attended the Lakehead HBSW 1 year program in Orillia (completed June 2012). There were about 60 people in my class, I'm assuming they would still admit a similar number, as physical space is limited and it is a small staff. 

I think it is an easier program to get into, some of my classmates had no experience in the helping field prior to applying. 

Hope this helps, let me know if you have any more questions about the program. 

Hi Jenste,
Thanks for the info about the number of applicants to the one year bsw program. I've applied to Lakehead as well. Did you happen to find out how many people they accept?

Hi,   I attended the Lakehead HBSW 1 year program in Orillia (completed June 2012). There were about 60 people in my class, I'm assuming they would still admit a similar number, as physical space is limited and it is a small staff.    I think it is an easier program to get into, some of my classmates had no experience in the helping field prior to applying.    Hope this helps, let me know if you have any more questions about the program. 
Thanks Karlie! It's nice to come across people who have experience with the program. Were you happy with your time there? May I also ask what kinda of professional/volunteer experience or marks you had?

Some courses have a lot of textbooks and others use journal articles. Textbooks can get very expensive so I've bought some new, rented some from the library, and bought some used off of Amazon. Yes, you're in the same placement during the winter and spring semesters (semester 2 and 3 respectively). There's only 2 placements in the 2 year program.

Thanks for your help, Thumper.

Is the school open to considering outside placements that students bring forward?  I have volunteered at some hospitals in my area and would like to suggest those as potential placements.  Just wondering what my chances are like of having this approved.

I'm currently looking at apartments/ condos to rent for the upcomming year (beginning Sept 2013) near Wilfrid Laurier University.  Are there any good places to live or anyone know of someone looking for a tenant in their unit? I'm hoping to live mainly with other females. :)

Thanks for your help, Thumper.

Is the school open to considering outside placements that students bring forward?  I have volunteered at some hospitals in my area and would like to suggest those as potential placements.  Just wondering what my chances are like of having this approved.

No problem! Yes, the school is open to considering outside placements (you can propose as many placements as you want! - I limited my proposed placements to 5 just to be courteous to the practicum team ;) )

No problem! Yes, the school is open to considering outside placements (you can propose as many placements as you want! - I limited my proposed placements to 5 just to be courteous to the practicum team ;) )

That's great to hear! Do I have to connect with someone from each organization, or does the school do that on the students behalf? how does it worke exactly.

That's great to hear! Do I have to connect with someone from each organization, or does the school do that on the students behalf? how does it worke exactly.

The school does it on your behalf. There's a form that you fill out online and you submit it electronically to the practicum office. It's their responsibility to call/email each facility you're interested in and ask whether or not they're able to take a student.

Thumper, how you heard of any really good internship sites in the areas of mental health or palliative care that you could recommend to me? I'd like to give them suggestions so I'm not given anything the computer assigns but since I don't live in Ontario anymore I'm not familiar with any of the sites.

The school does it on your behalf. There's a form that you fill out online and you submit it electronically to the practicum office. It's their responsibility to call/email each facility you're interested in and ask whether or not they're able to take a student.

Thumper, how you heard of any really good internship sites in the areas of mental health or palliative care that you could recommend to me? I'd like to give them suggestions so I'm not given anything the computer assigns but since I don't live in Ontario anymore I'm not familiar with any of the sites.

You can recommend various hospitals (CAMH, UHN, St. Joseph's Health Centre etc.) so I'd suggest going through the websites of the various hospitals in the GTA or elsewhere to find the departments you're most interested in. CAMH is wonderful for mental health placements.

I've heard great things about CAMH. Do you know if it's hard to get a placement there? I tried to set up an internship there once in another field and no one returned my calls. I figured it was because he gets calls all the time and it's in high demand. But who knows. I will try anyway.

Have you heard anything about Homewood Health Centre in Guelph from your teachers or other students? 

Ideally, I'd like to work at a place that might offer me a job one day. (Wouldn't we all? lol) Internships are a good way to get your foot in the door. Perhaps I should focus on bigger facilities that hire more social workers.

You can recommend various hospitals (CAMH, UHN, St. Joseph's Health Centre etc.) so I'd suggest going through the websites of the various hospitals in the GTA or elsewhere to find the departments you're most interested in. CAMH is wonderful for mental health placements.

I've heard great things about CAMH. Do you know if it's hard to get a placement there? I tried to set up an internship there once in another field and no one returned my calls. I figured it was because he gets calls all the time and it's in high demand. But who knows. I will try anyway.

Have you heard anything about Homewood Health Centre in Guelph from your teachers or other students?

Ideally, I'd like to work at a place that might offer me a job one day. (Wouldn't we all? lol) Internships are a good way to get your foot in the door. Perhaps I should focus on bigger facilities that hire more social workers.

It's not that hard to get a placement at CAMH. I'm actually placed there for my second internship :)

I haven't heard anything about Homewood Health Centre.

I'm currently looking at apartments/ condos to rent for the upcomming year (beginning Sept 2013) near Wilfrid Laurier University.  Are there any good places to live or anyone know of someone looking for a tenant in their unit? I'm hoping to live mainly with other females. :)

Get in touch with user name "JENSTE" she is looking for a roomie as well.

I guess U of T really is waiting until April 15th to send out their acceptances...I was hoping that April 15th would be the last day and that all first round offers would have been out by then, but I guess not :T

I think it's that week they are sending them out...........looks like we''re all waiting a little longer.

I guess U of T really is waiting until April 15th to send out their acceptances...I was hoping that April 15th would be the last day and that all first round offers would have been out by then, but I guess not :T

I know me too :( this suckss

I think it's that week they are sending them out...........looks like we''re all waiting a little longer.

Anyone hear from Ryerson yet?

Nope. I'm starting to get really frustrated. I called earlier this week and the guy who answered said we should know this week and that the decision would be posted online. However, I recall people saying that acceptances came in the mail and rejections came via e-mail.... nothing about RAMSS. Maybe someone else can call in and ask? It was an anonymous call, so it won't affect anything.

Nope. I'm starting to get really frustrated. I called earlier this week and the guy who answered said we should know this week and that the decision would be posted online. However, I recall people saying that acceptances came in the mail and rejections came via e-mail.... nothing about RAMSS. Maybe someone else can call in and ask? It was an anonymous call, so it won't affect anything.

I'm a little hesitant to call because they may get frustrated with me for contacting them about it. I emailed the MSW department this week (not the first time) and they never bother to respond...this is really starting to remind me of York's admin problems, and its really turning me off from the school. If a school like UofT can process applications faster than Ryerson, there's a problem!

Hi,

I attended the Lakehead HBSW 1 year program in Orillia (completed June 2012). There were about 60 people in my class, I'm assuming they would still admit a similar number, as physical space is limited and it is a small staff. 

I think it is an easier program to get into, some of my classmates had no experience in the helping field prior to applying. 

Hope this helps, let me know if you have any more questions about the program. 

That is a little encouraging to hear, that some of your class mates had no experience prior to applying. I am applying with 3 years part-time experience working with children with behavioural disorders, as well as a BIg Sister, and respite worker. Crossing my fingers. My marks are in the A- to A range and I have strong references so I am really hoping I get in. I am assuming that both Orillia and Thunder Bay accept roughly the same amount of students?

Anyone hear from Ryerson yet?
Hi I'm relatively new to the forum, just wanted to say you should hopefully hear from Ryerson quite soon, I know they have been sending offers out for the advanced standing MSW since early March, just hang in there and dont lose hope.

Dannika.Star,

You sound like a very strong candidate. Grades are worth 40% so your GPA should really bolster your ranking. I would be very surprised if you did not get in. Best of luck! 

That is a little encouraging to hear, that some of your class mates had no experience prior to applying. I am applying with 3 years part-time experience working with children with behavioural disorders, as well as a BIg Sister, and respite worker. Crossing my fingers. My marks are in the A- to A range and I have strong references so I am really hoping I get in. I am assuming that both Orillia and Thunder Bay accept roughly the same amount of students?