Thank you/ gift ideas for LORs?

nutmehg

For my NT and Greek prof, I gave him a card and a leaf from a 1623 Greek New Testament, framed. For my OT/Hebrew prof, I heard him once say how he wanted a certain elusive book but it was way too expensive and rare. So I got it for him. Ebay - $10.  :)

In short, shoot for something personal and different. I was planning on a Starbucks gift card or something, but figured something with a little character and personal touch would be better. And didn't spend much more than I would've on a gift card.

I sent my grad school rec writers handwritten thank you notes and included with each one a different printed photo from my year living in Mongolia according to their interests (people, nature, traditional art, etc). I think giving rec writers something like a gift certificate (which is basically money) would be sort of inappropriate. Something homemade like cookies or fudge sounds much better. But you really can't go wrong with just a thoughtful, personalized card.

My dilemma is that all of my recommenders are now colleagues as I was hired as a lecturer in the department I got my Masters from.  I'm try to show appreciation without trying to alienate those I didnt ask since many were willing.  Any thoughts?

I was thinking of painting a few small acrylic paintings to give my referees after the final batch of letters are in. One writer had a really tough time of it, and I promised her chocolate chip cookies, so I will bring a few dozen to her workplace for sharing with coworkers.

Since others raised questions about ethics etc, maybe I'll ask the professors what their school/workplace policies are regarding gifts. Some may be fine as long as the gift is valued at $10 or less or something. The other alternative is to give them nice thank you cards with a note saying that a donation to XYZ charity was made in their honor.

I was thinking about the same thing! A painting of each of recommender's model organism! I think it would be a nice personal touch.

Anyone have ideas for something nice to do for your LORs once it is all done?

I was thinking of giving them handmade cards but want to give them something else too for all the time they put into helping me. What did you do for your LORs?

Hahaha! I can't help but chuckle whenever I read this because I want to make a cheesy Mordor reference.....

On a serious note I give personalized cards to my recs.

After sending about 100 "thank you" emails I gave each professor a box with about six different types of home made cookies :) they all seemed really surprised to get a gift but I wanted to give something because I literally could not have sent my app without their letters.

I'm getting my recommenders a thank you card and a nice box of chocolates, but I don't know when to give it to them! Do I give it to them now or do I wait until the end of the cycle? I'd be able to write a better letter at the end of the cycle, and I'm enrolled in 2 courses with one of them this semester so I thought giving him a gift might be a bit unethical, but then I don't want them to think I forgot about them!

One of the best things you can do for a professor who wrote you a recommendation is write a letter to the dean of the department discussing how this professor has made it possible for you to proceed to the next stage in your career. This is incredibly valuable since it actually goes into the professor's file and is reviewed if he/she goes up for tenure or a full professorship (still good to have on file if he/she already are both). And its free! And then of course a thank you note and wine!

I'm planning to send handwritten thank you notes as soon as I know what's what with acceptances and rejections. I worried about waiting that long, but I finally decided that it would let me write a much more meaningful message.
I am planning to give a gift of a mug from the school I get accepted to with maybe some coffee or chocolates inside.  I found this idea on the internet when looking for good gifts ideas.
Great ideas! Since I'm not currently in academia, my references are colleagues or supervisors. I've already thanked them a million times, but they would all appreciate something from the school if I'm accepted! :)

since the apps were due around the winter holidays, i sent them a holiday card (customized with a picture of my school on the front) and a $25 gift card to a place suiting his or her personality best.