Rewarding or treating yourself?

callista

I got into UConn, so I'm going to start designing that kayak rack. :)  Also, I'll need a good backpack or messenger bag.  I did have a glass of bubbly with my family over the weekend!

Going out to dinner with a couple of undergrad friends that recieved REU acceptances in the past week.  Dual celebration, good times had by all.

What's up with the messenger bag / backpack obsession? Am I missing a crucial part of American campus culture here? :-P

Other than reward of actually getting to go to graduate school, I'll be getting myself a new computer - but probably once I get out there, since electronics are so much cheaper than here! 

I plan to go to the US about 4-6 weeks before the school starts, settle down, then fly down to visit my friends in Chapel Hill as a gift.  Definitely want to go hiking/camping in the Appalachian Mt.!

What's up with the messenger bag / backpack obsession? Am I missing a crucial part of American campus culture here? :-P

Other than reward of actually getting to go to graduate school, I'll be getting myself a new computer - but probably once I get out there, since electronics are so much cheaper than here! 

Eh, for me it's an excuse to get a new bag! ;)

I am getting a new backpack too, mostly because I've been using my worn out one for at least 15 years now, and getting a new, professional-looking one will seem like some kind of rite of passage.  :-)

Although I've gotten a few acceptances, for some reason I don't feel like celebrating yet. After everything is done and I make a decision, I'll probably do something fun with friends. A good friend of mine is coming for a visit in April, so that will be a good time to relax.

I really want to quit my job sooner rather than later, but I should probably try to stick it out as long as possible for the salary.

What an interesting thread!

If I get accepted, I definitely plan on getting that school's hoodie/sweatshirt. Also a nice dinner with my boyfriend and family (would be the first in the family to go off to grad school!) would take place. Although, the best reward I think I'd get if I do get accepted is the pride my folks will feel having a daughter who is in graduate school  :D

Now if I get rejected, I will continue to work at my crappy job, save some money, return to my internship to build some experience and apply next fall semester  :(

I rewarded myself with a new messenger / laptop bag- I got a timbuk2 commuter messenger bag (medium). Bought it in amazon, but matched my laptop to the right sized bag on timbuk2's website!

I think I'm going to hold off on celebrations until I officially accept a program, but celebratory dinner and drinks with friends for sure. I have my eye on one of the new tablet/laptop combos, too.

I had a pricey new somethin-somethin I was keeping in mind to get myself if I get accepted, but with some probable upcoming law changes needed to get that purchased sooner than later. Trying to buy my pricey interests while I'm still making decent money and have something else lined up.