That awkward moment when...

melissaam

50 minutes ago, petitebiscuit said:

You realize one of your recommenders overlooked the link for your top school....and submits your LOR 4 days after the deadline.....my badddd.....

Also the moment when you call your own lab by the wrong name.

I think generally there’s more leeway in LOR deadlines than application deadlines, so you might still be okay on that front!

22 minutes ago, phonotactless said:

I think generally there’s more leeway in LOR deadlines than application deadlines, so you might still be okay on that front!

Agreed! They know how busy/forgetful faculty members can be. Hope you get dem invites so this will be just funny on hindsight

• 2 weeks later...

You are checking one of your 4 already submitted applications and you notice that in one of them you assigned to your most important research experience the description of a meh summer session instead of the actual description...OOPS

Went to an info session where the admissions/financial aid director emphasized that if letters of recommendation were submitted even one day after the deadline, no scholarship money would be awarded. Panicked because I was still waiting on one LOR and my professor hadn't responded to my email or follow-up phone call, so ended up DRIVING TO NEW YORK from out-of-state to talk to her in person. The look on her face when she saw me in her office door was pretty priceless, as was my weak explanation that I just happened to be in the city visiting friends. Definitely an awkward moment but she was just busy and missed the email, and asked me to remind her again as many times as I needed to before the deadline.

Still waiting for now. 

Edited by doctormelody

17 hours ago, doctormelody said:

Went to an info session where the admissions/financial aid director emphasized that if letters of recommendation were submitted even one day after the deadline, no scholarship money would be awarded. Panicked because I was still waiting on one LOR and my professor hadn't responded to my email or follow-up phone call, so ended up DRIVING TO NEW YORK from out-of-state to talk to her in person. The look on her face when she saw me in her office door was pretty priceless, as was my weak explanation that I just happened to be in the city visiting friends. Definitely an awkward moment but she was just busy and missed the email, and asked me to remind her again as many times as I needed to before the deadline.

Still waiting for now. 

This is gold hahah I hope you got your LoR in time and (get) your scholarship!

2 hours ago, loffire said:

This is gold hahah I hope you got your LoR in time and (get) your scholarship!

There are still 10 days left before the deadline and she's 100% gonna wait until the very last minute to submit it, I can just tell. But thank you! I'm choosing to trust that it will be fine because at this point, there's not much else I can do.

1 hour ago, doctormelody said:

There are still 10 days left before the deadline and she's 100% gonna wait until the very last minute to submit it, I can just tell. But thank you! I'm choosing to trust that it will be fine because at this point, there's not much else I can do.

One of my LoR writer does the same thing. He waits till the last day to submit everything. I have him on fb so I pmed him like 4hrs before the deadline and he got it all in on time! Sending good vibes your way hahah

9 minutes ago, loffire said:

One of my LoR writer does the same thing. He waits till the last day to submit everything. I have him on fb so I pmed him like 4hrs before the deadline and he got it all in on time! Sending good vibes your way hahah

Oh my God, that's so frustrating! I would probably have a nervous breakdown if someone did that to me... I was definitely close to one last week. And thank you, same to you!

Edited by doctormelody

• 3 weeks later...

...You are having a phone interview at your dad's house while visiting him and his dogs start barking and you apologize a million times to the POI (interrupting her talking the first time just because you feel super bad but now even feel worse for interrupting). Then you get nervous, so you stop asking all the question you wanted to ask because the dogs are still barking. Gosh, what a great first impression I gave!

okay, I have two:

1) when you go to your master's thesis supervisor to get the  recommendation letter while he was expecting from you to do a Ph.D. under his guidance

2) when you are content with your CV but after reading the profile of the other students on gradcafe, who have applied to the same university  as you have, you realize that they have 3 patents, 6 first author publications, and have research experience from ivy-league institutions. :( :( 

Your UPenn SoP says "Penn State" (to which you are not even applying) three times and you just barely catch it in time to delete the one you uploaded and replace it with one that actually has the correct school name in it.

When one of your SoPs says "additionally" twice in the same paragraph.