Welcome to the 2013-2014 Cycle

Cesare

Hey guys, I was wondering - if you receive a notification that you have been nominated for a fellowship but haven't heard an official acceptance yet, is it implied? I just sent an awkward email to the dept asking, but I wanted to know if it's a normal assumption to make.

Edit: Never mine, looks like it was implied. Cool.

Let us know when you get official word. In past years this can mean one of two things:

1.) If you were nominated by the department, that probably means they expect to admit you or

2.) If you were nominated within the graduate school because of your statistics, it means you have a good chance but nothing is guaranteed (read: but it's likely)

Anybody knows how to stop visiting the Gradcafe? :) I should stop this because some of the schools won't release their results until mid-March. It's simply unsustainable....

I was even checking on my phone during a lull in my seminar today. Granted, our discussion of border regimes turned to digital borders, and I don't think anyone in the class had read (I was assigned another reading, in my defense)... But still, it's pretty terrible.

Anybody knows how to stop visiting the Gradcafe? :) I should stop this because some of the schools won't release their results until mid-March. It's simply unsustainable....

The FSU admit and ensuing anxiety has stalled my progress in the analysis of the EC's Impact Assessment of a market stability reserve mechanism for the EU ETS. I am very annoyed ^^

Let us know when you get official word. In past years this can mean one of two things:

1.) If you were nominated by the department, that probably means they expect to admit you or

2.) If you were nominated within the graduate school because of your statistics, it means you have a good chance but nothing is guaranteed (read: but it's likely)

Yep, contacted the department. It was option number 1, meaning I'm the FSU admit. Yay!

The FSU admit and ensuing anxiety has stalled my progress in the analysis of the EC's Impact Assessment of a market stability reserve mechanism for the EU ETS. I am very annoyed ^^

Blah blah blah political science speak blah blah blah. That's all I hear. :)

Yep, contacted the department. It was option number 1, meaning I'm the FSU admit. Yay!

Congratulations Targy :) I hope there is more good news to come. Btw, were you notified by Jerry Fisher or the graduate school (or someone else)?

Congratulations Targy :) I hope there is more good news to come. Btw, were you notified by Jerry Fisher or the graduate school (or someone else)?

Was first notified about the fellowship nomination by the graduate school. Emailed Jerry Fisher to confirm acceptance by the department.

I'll give you a few details. Some are somewhat embarrassing, so I'll give ballpark. GRE 165V, <160Q. Three pubs: one first author, two in peer-reviewed journals. 4.0 while getting 3 B.A.s. On a full ride scholarship at a public university. Hope that helps.

Edited by Targy

Was first notified about the fellowship nomination by the graduate school. Emailed Jerry Fisher to confirm acceptance by the department.

I'll give you a few details. Some are somewhat embarrassing, so I'll give ballpark. GRE 165V, <160Q. Three pubs: one first author, two in peer-reviewed journals. 4.0 while getting 3 B.A.s. On a full ride scholarship at a public university. Hope that helps.

Sounds pretty competitive to me! I think you'll have more acceptances coming your way, and at least you can start breathing a little easier.

Thanks Targy! Your profile looks very strong, and I am sure you will get better news!

Three publications? Geez...I thought my non-peer reviewed publications were more rare, even if not that helpful.

Congrats!!!!

Ok, I now have concrete evidence that everyone wasn't informed simultaneously by our system. One person emailed me to find out why we didn't admit him/her—but we did.

So no answer still means no answer. And I think I have MY answer: they're using the hamster-powered TRS-80....

Thanks for letting us know. I feel like I am on an emotional roller coaster.

This process is captured brilliantly in the immortal words of Nietzsche: "What doesn't kill you makes you stronger may try again."

Thanks for letting us know. I feel like I am on an emotional roller coaster.

This process is captured brilliantly in the immortal words of Nietzsche: "What doesn't kill you makes you stronger may try again."

Boy howdy. I'm a complete train wreck waiting for Wisconsin... and then there are thirteen more. I'd like to speak with my doctor about whether or not a three-week medically induced coma is right for me ;)

Boy howdy. I'm a complete train wreck waiting for Wisconsin... and then there are thirteen more. I'd like to speak with my doctor about whether or not a three-week medically induced coma is right for me ;)

You are not alone. I am waiting for Wisconsin as well. It will be the middle of next week. Am I right? right? 

Is anyone else regretting that they only applied to schools with historically relatively late decision times? It's starting to freak me out, honestly. Next year's applicants: Apply to at least one school with decisions in January so you won't get in the same position...

Is anyone else regretting that they only applied to schools with historically relatively late decision times? It's starting to freak me out, honestly. Next year's applicants: Apply to at least one school with decisions in January so you won't get in the same position...

Noted!!