Welcome to the 2013-2014 Cycle

Cesare

Honestly, I'd be surprised if anyone didn't have these kinds of doubts. The admissions process itself complicates things further. On the one hand, it's extremely competitive, and it's always possible to find a past acceptance with better qualifications in some way. On the other hand, there's such a large element to randomness, with some years shutting people out simply because of department dynamics and greater need for some specialization. So without further information from programs, it's hard to say why exactly someone might be accepted or not in any given year, and that leads to hyper-focusing on perceived weaknesses or inadequacies. And quite a few of those who are accepted deal with the impostor syndrome after beginning their program for similar reasons.

I also haven't shared my final list of schools, despite the anonymity of the internet, but I still think that most people here understand this about the process, and the rare few who might still act judgmentally despite knowing how admissions work don't really deserve to be listened to.

And yes, life always goes on even when it doesn't fit the initial plan!

Thanks ZB. I tried last April to divine those weaknesses and inadequacies, and spent the bulk of the past nine months attempting to remedy them. Yet the 'element of randomness' remains, as does the lingering sting of last year's rejections. That said, it helps to talk things out in a platform such as this one. So thanks for the ear, and the thoughtful reply.

So...here's the deal: I already feel the impostor syndrome, and suspect that I would feel it even more acutely were I to reveal my list of schools. (That statement in and of itself already provides a great deal of information regarding my list.) Does anyone else feel like s/he shot for the moon, yet will only wind up shooting hirself in the foot?

This is my second cycle, and I spent last year's in a remote village with patchy and tortuously slow internet connectivity; thus I had no real sounding board or informed support. I know others have discussed the impostor syndrome somewhat, but I still feel as if I'm an impossible longshot in the eyes of adcom members, and would be in your eyes as well were I to drop the Big Names to Which I Applied.

Is there any solace to be found outside of an admissions notice?

Yes and no. 

An admissions notice is nice validation (I'm given to understand...), but, really, is just the entrance ticket to spending 5+ years striving and swimming in bigger and bigger ponds.  The admissions notice isn't validation of intellect or worth.

Personally, I had a crushing round last year: waitlist agony exacerbated by hard personal choices with the direction of my life.  Finally, the way out was to ask myself what, exactly, it is that I want out of having a phd (besides the letters, of course) and what kinds of steps I could take towards creating an emotionally acceptable substitute.

Do good, interesting, work and the rest will fall into place... eventually.

I'm happy to give out more details in PM, if you want.

So...here's the deal: I already feel the impostor syndrome, and suspect that I would feel it even more acutely were I to reveal my list of schools. (That statement in and of itself already provides a great deal of information regarding my list.) Does anyone else feel like s/he shot for the moon, yet will only wind up shooting hirself in the foot?

This is my second cycle, and I spent last year's in a remote village with patchy and tortuously slow internet connectivity; thus I had no real sounding board or informed support. I know others have discussed the impostor syndrome somewhat, but I still feel as if I'm an impossible longshot in the eyes of adcom members, and would be in your eyes as well were I to drop the Big Names to Which I Applied.

Is there any solace to be found outside of an admissions notice?

What is this impostor syndrome everyone is speaking of on this forum? 

I applied to 5 T20 schools and the rest range all the way to the unranked. I know my professors think I'm a little crazy (because of the range) but in all honesty, I just wanted to make sure I got in somewhere (which I just did and I am now thrilled). It's very tough to look at your profile impartially. I don't think I have the quant score to get in to any T20 schools but I also know that if I don't apply, I can't get in. As everyone frequently talks about, there is often no "identifiable" reason for why someone gets accepted to one institution and not the other. People have written about not getting into a T50 school but getting into a T5. 

Anecdotally, I applied to 7 undergrad institutions. Only 1 was a top-tier school. My college advisor said applying to that school was like "a Hail Mary pass at the end of a game"... and, unbelievably, I got in. And I spent a lot of time thinking about where else I could've applied. So good for you for applying to schools you WANT to go to!

Regardless of what institution you end up at, if you believe in your research and work to produce something valuable you will be successful! If you believe in your research, there is no reason to think that any school is beneath you. :)

Best of luck to you on this cycle. I hope we all get our top choices (though I know this is not possible)!

Best of luck to you on this cycle. I hope we all get our top choices (though I know this is not possible)!

Hypothetical question: if you guys got into your dream school or one of your top choices, how are you planning on celebrating or rewarding yourself?

And for those who've already received acceptances, how are you celebrating the fact (or are you?)?

What is this impostor syndrome everyone is speaking of on this forum? 

I applied to 5 T20 schools and the rest range all the way to the unranked. I know my professors think I'm a little crazy (because of the range) but in all honesty, I just wanted to make sure I got in somewhere (which I just did and I am now thrilled). It's very tough to look at your profile impartially. I don't think I have the quant score to get in to any T20 schools but I also know that if I don't apply, I can't get in. As everyone frequently talks about, there is often no "identifiable" reason for why someone gets accepted to one institution and not the other. People have written about not getting into a T50 school but getting into a T5. 

Anecdotally, I applied to 7 undergrad institutions. Only 1 was a top-tier school. My college advisor said applying to that school was like "a Hail Mary pass at the end of a game"... and, unbelievably, I got in. And I spent a lot of time thinking about where else I could've applied. So good for you for applying to schools you WANT to go to!

Regardless of what institution you end up at, if you believe in your research and work to produce something valuable you will be successful! If you believe in your research, there is no reason to think that any school is beneath you. :)

And best of luck to you as well, with kudos on an acceptance. 

Following the last admissions cycle, I was gently advised to apply 'more broadly'. I heeded that advice only marginally, reapplying to nine of the ten schools that had rejected me, adding on three more of equivalent rank, and one 'safety' school. The biggest factor in my decision to continue aiming for the 'reach' schools was that I aspire to someday teach at one of them. Then a two step argument along the lines of (like you said) 'if I don't apply, I can't get in', and if I don't get in, the odds are markedly worse that I'll ever end up teaching at one of them. 

I spent the last four years teaching high school English. Teaching is awesome, and insanely fulfilling. Teaching Huckleberry Finn, however, doesn't quite tickle my pickle, and grading student essays on Huck Finn doesn't even come close. I spend the vast majority of my free time reading about China, authoritarianism, and political science more generally (note: not a polisci undergrad), and I think that no job would be as satisfying - intellectually and otherwise - as the professoriate, where I could not only conduct research, but also teach and train another generation of intellectually curious twenty-somethings.

Thus, despite my nagging doubts and insecurities, I decided to shoot for the big leagues again. But the wait is killing me, and every day of silence increases the tendency to second-guess my application strategy and overall prospects. 

I suppose I'll try to mope less and read more. Sorry, all. 

Hypothetical question: if you guys got into your dream school or one of your top choices, how are you planning on celebrating or rewarding yourself?

I'd probably hop on Amazon and treat myself to one of those over-priced CUP books I'd be needing in grad school. And a six-pack of IPA, definitely.

And for those who've already received acceptances, how are you celebrating the fact (or are you?)?

I'm not really sure in the hypothetical situation. Though, I plan on saving the celebrating for when I visit home in March. Going to hit up my favorite bar with my favorite people and celebrate with a couple pitchers (and free nachos and popcorn!).

When I got my (first or only?) acceptance, I didn't do anything special to celebrate. Just smiled a lot.

And best of luck to you as well, with kudos on an acceptance. 

Following the last admissions cycle, I was gently advised to apply 'more broadly'. I heeded that advice only marginally, reapplying to nine of the ten schools that had rejected me, adding on three more of equivalent rank, and one 'safety' school. The biggest factor in my decision to continue aiming for the 'reach' schools was that I aspire to someday teach at one of them. Then a two step argument along the lines of (like you said) 'if I don't apply, I can't get in', and if I don't get in, the odds are markedly worse that I'll ever end up teaching at one of them. 

I spent the last four years teaching high school English. Teaching is awesome, and insanely fulfilling. Teaching Huckleberry Finn, however, doesn't quite tickle my pickle, and grading student essays on Huck Finn doesn't even come close. I spend the vast majority of my free time reading about China, authoritarianism, and political science more generally (note: not a polisci undergrad), and I think that no job would be as satisfying - intellectually and otherwise - as the professoriate, where I could not only conduct research, but also teach and train another generation of intellectually curious twenty-somethings.

Thus, despite my nagging doubts and insecurities, I decided to shoot for the big leagues again. But the wait is killing me, and every day of silence increases the tendency to second-guess my application strategy and overall prospects. 

I suppose I'll try to mope less and read more. Sorry, all. 

I think it makes sense to aim for the 'reach' schools, and that line of thinking definitely is very logical. At this point, there's nothing you can really change about your odds or your application strategy for this cycle, so try not to be too hard on yourself! 

But I do want to say this: gauging from the last couple of posts you've made in this thread, the amount of passion for, and desire to pursue, such a degree in academia/Political Science, that you have is really conveyed through your words. I'm sure this probably shone through in your personal statement as well. And with attrition rates being what they are, demonstrating a strong commitment and conviction to follow this path would definitely be a boost. 

Best of luck!

(And if you don't mind my asking, are you Chinese yourself, or just interested in it?)

I like this question! I'll probably also reward myself by going and buying a book or two for next fall. On a slightly less bookish note, I think I'll reward myself with a bottle or two of my favorite wines (Estancia's Sauvignon Blanc and a Georgian wine called Khvanchkara.. it will change your life) and spend an entire weekend watching Premier League, Bundesliga, and La Liga matches! 

I think it makes sense to aim for the 'reach' schools, and that line of thinking definitely is very logical. At this point, there's nothing you can really change about your odds or your application strategy for this cycle, so try not to be too hard on yourself! 

But I do want to say this: gauging from the last couple of posts you've made in this thread, the amount of passion for, and desire to pursue, such a degree in academia/Political Science, that you have is really conveyed through your words. I'm sure this probably shone through in your personal statement as well. And with attrition rates being what they are, demonstrating a strong commitment and conviction to follow this path would definitely be a boost. 

Best of luck!

(And if you don't mind my asking, are you Chinese yourself, or just interested in it?)

Thanks for the warm words. Just time to cross my fingers (far more preferable to holding my breath).

As for your question, the latter. 

Does anyone have any guesses on what the percentage of people submitting their results on gradcafe to those actually applying to political science PhD programs is? Obviously more people will report acceptances than rejections. Has anybody compared their programs acceptances on gradcafe to the expected size of their programs?  

I stopped checking this forum when it reached a bit of a lull, the other day. So naturally, I have somehow missed two pages worth of discussion and a slew of UC Davis admission notices. :rolleyes:

Congratulations to all of those admitted!

IR IR IR PhD, I believe someone posted a shared Excel file containing that sort of information, but I don't remember who or when. Will search the depths of the forum. :ph34r:

Edited by cautiously_optimistic

One of those UC-Davis acceptances is me. Just a form email with a congratulations. I'm assuming something more substantial (either an email or a call) is coming soon, with more information. Super psyched though. Waiting on the rest of my applications is so much easier when the first one is a win.

For those that have done it before: What's the protocol after acceptances? I'm assuming I'll get funding information / etc pretty soon, invitation to a accepted students weekend, and a deadline for decision?

I have a (potentially somewhat ignorant) question. Soon we'll all start getting our acceptances and rejections... Say you get accepted into 5 schools. How typical is it for you to be invited to visit the school over a weekend or something? And if you are invited, are you typically expected to pay for the travel expense yourself, or does the school ever help with that? :) 

Found it.  :ph34r:

The wonderful CGMJ posted this a while back. It contains data on the number of admitted students and the quantities of corresponding TGC results page posts, for selected programs. Additionally, because I am uncomfortable posting half portions of a full conversation,  I have included the remark by polisci12345 to which CGMJ is referencing. 

Thanks so much cautiously_optimistic!!! Also congrats to all of the recent UC-David admits!

I have a (potentially somewhat ignorant) question. Soon we'll all start getting our acceptances and rejections... Say you get accepted into 5 schools. How typical is it for you to be invited to visit the school over a weekend or something? And if you are invited, are you typically expected to pay for the travel expense yourself, or does the school ever help with that? :)

I think typically they'll offer to reimburse up to a certain amount for travel to a recruitment/accepted students weekend. Colorado-Boulder did, and they're using the recruitment weekend as a sort of informal interview for funding, too. Last year I flew to DC with money from a Masters program for a recruitment weekend.