Welcome to the 2013-2014 Cycle

Cesare

Anyone else not heard back from Boulder?

I was doing so well this week with the whole not worrying about graduate decisions thing. After hearing a few people recieving notifications today...I am back into neurotic mode.

Hello, all. Quiet today... I received an acceptance from Ohio State through their website last week; I still haven't received any e-mail from the graduate school, though. I know a few people were experiencing the same issue last week; since, I have seen some postings on the results page citing an e-mail. Is anyone else still in the position I am? Just particularly curious since there is little else happening on the admissions front today.

I'm right there with you....zero solid info other than admitted.

I'm right there with you....zero solid info other than admitted.

Meh, I'd consider yourself one of the lucky ones that has the unequivocal security of being admitted into a program - a GRRRREAT program!

Congrats by the way. You must have worked hard to be admitted into a top program.

Meh, I'd consider yourself one of the lucky ones that has the unequivocal security of being admitted into a program - a GRRRREAT program!

Congrats by the way. You must have worked hard to be admitted into a top program.

Thanks so much! It was very much a relief, I won't lie. I got to stop the, "what if I get in nowhere?" thoughts. You have some really solid stats, btw! Good luck!

Thanks so much! It was very much a relief, I won't lie. I got to stop the, "what if I get in nowhere?" thoughts. You have some really solid stats, btw! Good luck!

My stats are not so impressive in comparison to many on here! So many high 160's for GRE's along with  extensive research accomplishments after hovering over a multitude of red diamonds on the results page.

Thanks. I hope the rest of the decision season continues to go well for you. (If I get lucky, maybe I'll see you at A&M)

My stats are not so impressive in comparison to many on here! So many high 160's for GRE's along with  extensive research accomplishments after hovering over a multitude of red diamonds on the results page.

Thanks. I hope the rest of the decision season continues to go well for you. (If I get lucky, maybe I'll see you at A&M)

What prof do you want to work with at TAMU?

What prof do you want to work with at TAMU?

Dr. Alexander C. Pacek is my top preference. His research/expertise in determinants of satisfaction of life and political thought complements my research interests. My undergraduate thesis focuses on happiness by politcal ideology in the United States, and presents a theory as to why conservative Americans have a tendency to report higher satsifaction of life than progressive Americans (according to several studies spanning over 30 years), while addressing common misconceptions related to wealth and religious affiliation as determinants of happiness in the United States. Further, I touch on happiness indexes of other countries, in-part, in my reseasoning, and with that, drawing upon larger themes addressing determinants of happiness and unhappiness. Even though I haven't touched on my theory and the frameworks I am using, I feel like I am divulging too much information. The adcoms be lurking!

With that said, there are several professors that I'd be glad to work with given shared interests.

Edited by sylark

Dr. Alexander C. Pacek is my top preference. His research/expertise in determinants of satisfaction of life and political thought complements my research interests. My undergraduate thesis focuses on happiness by politcal ideology in the United States, and presents a theory as to why conservative Americans have a tendency to report higher satsifaction of life than progressive Americans (according to several studies spanning over 30 years), while addressing common misconceptions related to wealth and religious affiliation as determinants of happiness in the United States. Further, I touch on happiness indexes of other countries, in-part, in my reseasoning, and with that, drawing upon larger themes addressing determinants of happiness and unhappiness. Even though I haven't touched on my theory and the frameworks I am using, I feel like I am divulging too much information. The adcoms be lurking!

With that said, there are several professors that I'd be glad to work with given shared interests.

Haha. I can relate. Anyway, I hear TAMU doesn't care that much about GREs. I know one of the endowed chairs thinks they're irrelevant, he's not a theory guy though

Just found out that a new dataset on my topic of interest was compiled by The Heritage Foundation. I do take any positive sign that I can, and this does show that my topic is relevant/interesting for the US, right?^^

Just found out that a new dataset on my topic of interest was compiled by The Heritage Foundation. I do take any positive sign that I can, and this does show that my topic is relevant/interesting for the US, right?^^

Right. But I wonder what the Heritage Foundation's motive is. ;)

Your stats are fine. Seriously. It might come down to SOP, fit, and this year's sub-field needs. Your GRE/GPA aren't keeping you out, especially of the schools on your list.

Right. But I wonder what the Heritage Foundation's motive is. ;)

I know, right? It is a very loaded topic, though I do not want to add to the normative, loaded discussion, but rather shine some light so that understanding it better can hopefully lead to better decision-making...

I wouldn't worry about your stats at all. You probably clear any threshold, and beyond that, it will be mostly fit. For theory, GRE shouldn't matter all that much anyway, and your GPA is amazing!

Hey everyone that replied to my neuroticism/pessimism. Thanks!

I need to be coddled by your reassurances so that I don't incessantly pester my friends and coworkers about my irrational fear of application doom.

I know, right? It is a very loaded topic, though I do not want to add to the normative, loaded discussion, but rather shine some light so that understanding it better can hopefully lead to better decision-making...

Hello IRToni!

What's your research interest? 

What's your subfield? Political Theory

Hello IRToni!

What's your research interest? 

What's your subfield? Political Theory

Subfield: Political Economy; IR or CP, depending on schools

Edited by IRToni

I just checked. NYU acceptances were out last year today, at 4 pm Eastern, if my calculations are right?

Last year my friend was accepted by Duke and NYU on the same day I remember. They should be out on Monday. Last year they accepted 4 people who have interests in China. 

BTW, who was your POI otherwise at Madison, may I know? Was that EF? 

What is the consensus about interviews - namely, for Emory or UW?  Is an interview a necessary but insufficient requisite to receiving an eventual offer, or is it possible to still get an offer even if they never contacted you for an interview? 

A hundred percent positive that for Emory, all admits this year will only come from the interview list.

Last year my friend was accepted by Duke and NYU on the same day I remember. They should be out on Monday. Last year they accepted 4 people who have interests in China. 

Exactly. I contacted him, and he was really nice, and replied, but he said he's not taking on any new advisees, and will likely also not be able to continue teaching for the department. Madison was a maybe even before that, because of location and funding (if I  wanna head home once a year at least, I need some money. Low cost of living doesn't really help me, because flights are the same)... So I decided not to apply. I'm not saying I regret not applying, because I'm not sure I would be happy to attend, but it sucks knowing that I would have heard from one school by now, ya know?

4 people with China interest is promising. What are your research interests again?

Exactly. I contacted him, and he was really nice, and replied, but he said he's not taking on any new advisees, and will likely also not be able to continue teaching for the department. Madison was a maybe even before that, because of location and funding (if I  wanna head home once a year at least, I need some money. Low cost of living doesn't really help me, because flights are the same)... So I decided not to apply. I'm not saying I regret not applying, because I'm not sure I would be happy to attend, but it sucks knowing that I would have heard from one school by now, ya know?

I gotcha. See my PM!